What would you have done to generate more excitement for State football this year?....

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm not sure there's a lot of levers to pull at this point. It's shaping up for us to have a dismal season, and it ain't gonna help that om might be good. About the best we can hope for is a few moral victories, establish a base to build on, and go from there.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I agree with the perfect storm ingredients. Add it all up and there's not much to be excited about. Mostly new faces (players and coaches) with less loyalty to the school than their own brand. Hoping for some wins, but I'll be watching mostly from curiosity rather than excitement.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
The new reality that you can either:
Catch lightning in a bottle, or-
Insufferably Suck
Is tiresome to any preconceived expectations.

All the while, you might as well forget building on any success you have in any facet of the game since the players showing promise can jump ship at any time.

17 this new age of incentivized infidelity.

*ETA My Bad* I never answered the question. My response is:

Invent a Time Machine to go back and prevent this abortion of a travesty committed on my favorite sport so I no longer have to yell at clouds.

Last edited:

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Other than Lebby, doesn't seem like there is anything "new" this year to look forward to: stadium enhancements, lower concession prices, statue of Leach, 24 oz PBR, etc.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Obviously wins are all that matter but I just feel like it's more of a bore than normal. It could be perfect storm of expectations, NIL, no idea who our players our, lack of public info, etc.
Score a lot of points in the first game and people will be excited for the second game.

Even last year we had a great environment to start the Bama game, and that was after two losses to LSU and South Carolina. Probably because we scored 48, 31, and 30 against the two non-cons and SC. Crowd for Bama was loud until the first interception.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Score points. I can live with a bad defense, but not unless we are lighting up the scoreboard. Being a O line coach outside of being the Devil, I would also ask please do not have two guards pulling into each other. I really think Will Friend should be shot, just my opinion. Ok well maybe not shot, but for sure a Texas titty twister for all the things he did to embarrass o line play at MSU.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Obviously wins are all that matter but I just feel like it's more of a bore than normal. It could be perfect storm of expectations, NIL, no idea who our players our, lack of public info, etc.
I would've gone out and hired the best offensive mind in college football that I could, because ultimately that's the thing that can bring about the most excitement given the current circumstances. Seems like Selmon tried to do that.

I appreciate the importance of uniforms and upgraded in-stadium experiences, but having a fun on-the-field product will work wonders for changing fans' attitudes. I'm always going to be optimistic in year 1 of a new coach so I don't get all the negativity.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't think there is much you could do. It is what it is and won't get better till things improve on the field.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Nothing pre-season. Put a competitive team on the field that looks competent, and I'll make it a point to watch. Win a few games along the way and show continuous improvement throughout the season and I'll be interested/excited to see what this coach can do over the next 3 years. Rearrange seating where I'm not squished and don't have to sit knee to back with people and I'll buy some tickets again.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
  • pay off the refs and get a few unexpected W's
  • run 23 trick plays a game
  • engineer a breakup between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce and get her to date Blake Shapen
  • sneak Dak in a few games until Jones pays him $100M
  • deliver free steak dinner to the first 20,000 fans in their seats
  • fireworks after every first down
  • go full Savannah Bananas and wear pink and dance before, during, and after each play

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I suspect a lot of AD's are experimenting with a lot of things to address this in numerous places. I'd try to find out as much as I could from around the country and see if I could adopt any of it here. As for this year just try not to do anything stupid and make things worse than they already are.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Get more corporate sponsorship for NIL and show that we will be competitive financially with the other SEC teams. The more things change the more they stay the same. It has always been about buying the best players to compete for championships so you've got to prove you will be ready to ante up.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah the rubber chicken circuit could have been better. I would be interested to hear how the Road Dawg events were around the state ..... but in Olive Branch.... it was lackluster.

It was Bart Gregory, Lebby and &elmon. Gregory spoke the most. &elmon next. Lebby the least. They spoke maybe 20 minutes. Total. The whole event lasted 30-40 minutes. When &elmon and Lebby were done speaking they left the building.

Maybe they had a tight schedule and Olive Branch drew a short straw on the schedule , but it was a very low energy event.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Yeah the rubber chicken circuit could have been better. I would be interested to hear how the Road Dawg events were around the state ..... but in Olive Branch.... it was lackluster.

It was Bart Gregory, Lebby and &elmon. Gregory spoke the most. &elmon next. Lebby the least. They spoke maybe 20 minutes. Total. The whole event lasted 30-40 minutes. When &elmon and Lebby were done speaking they left the building.

Maybe they had a tight schedule and Olive Branch drew a short straw on the schedule , but it was a very low energy event.
This. I've had a busy Summer myself so maybe I didn't notice, but there doesn't seem to have been a lot of promotion of Lebby. If he came to Atlanta, my e-vite must have gotten lost in the ethernet.

Perfect Storm is right. Last season was awful, our whole roster is new, we have a new coach who might be Mullen II or Moorhead II, and the SEC managed to get tougher while at the same time magnifying our financial disadvantage.

I don't think I've been this disinterested in preseason since the Felker days.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
I'm looking forward to the season.

Having Football is better than no football.

If we make a bowl game i will be pleased.... if we dont make one but at least show signs of life.... i will be just as pleased.

Reactions: dogmatic001

patdog

May 28, 2007
Made a better hire last season. Or made a better hire this season. Lebby may or may not turn out to be a good hire. But hiring a career assistant and a bunch of no-name assistant coaches doesn't do much to build excitement. A few more 4* transfers wouldn't hurt either.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
There is no hype for this season. That falls squarely on the athletic department. Selmon is an upgrade from Cohen, but he is not setting the world on fire!

Reactions: Dawg84

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
I'm excited for football in general. Should be a fun year for college football, just ready to spend fall Saturday watching all the games. It goes quick though, next thing you know it SEC championship week. Not that we will be going anytime soon, but we sure had a lot of success and chances from 1997 to 2000 but lost to teams down the stretch.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
We’re in a position where the team needs to exceed expectations and earn style points doing it. Simple as that.

it shouldn’t be difficult to improve over last year from an optics standpoint.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
They'd need to improve the plumbing first
Privacy curtains and a bucket at each seat. The buckets have pvc tubing that comes out of the bottom and drains down a gutter system that empties under the visiting team bench. Half price tickets if you eat a lot of asparagus before the game.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
More content on social media. Need more big plays and exciting highlights of their summer workouts, practices… help us get to know the new faces on the team and generate some hype around guys like Akharaiyi, Coleman, Traore, Blanton, Williams, Lewis… those are our potential stars.

Feel like we could’ve done more interviews or join more podcasts/radio shows and done more with Josh Pate when he came. That should’ve been a bigger deal and hyped up. Number 1 college football show and it was pretty bland and boring compared to other episodes. Looked like it was setup in the locker room and not showing off any of our facilities or anything.

No one believes the program will do anything this year or make any noise because we have been radio silent which is why we have idiots at Fox ranking us 76th behind old dominion because they know nothing about us and who we have. Half the fanbase doesn’t.

Use the 17’n HailState TV thing to drive more traffic there with insider videos and cool stuff there. Literally cancelled that subscription this summer because I was paying for basically nothing added in months.

Oct 7, 2022
You have got to be kidding.

ok. Let’s start with striking oil

Seriously. Come up with burn wet mule money to go out and buy the best ***** *** athletes on the block

are you really asking this question?

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I’d be searching for a new conference for football, since it will be completely independent from the regular NCAA within the next 10 years. And I would be making sure that MSU would continue to try and face SEC opponents within the club sports

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Yeah the rubber chicken circuit could have been better. I would be interested to hear how the Roadyi Dawg events were around the state ..... but in Olive Branch.... it was lackluster.

I remember Dan Mullen's first road trip at Olive Branch at Whispering Woods. Dam room was so packed people had to wait outside to hear him speak. Room held 300 and there were another 200 outside trying to see in.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login