What would you have done to generate more excitement for State football this year?....

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Selmon has been a major disappointment. I had high hopes when he was hired. But I don’t think he’s an improvement over Cohen at all.
seriously??? Elaborate on this cause he’s done a ton more in 18 months than cohen did in 7 years.

Reactions: BirdPuppy

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think the first thing I would’ve done is at least make an attempt to generate excitement

Did Selmon or Lebby actually do anything besides sending out a survey to see if we’d be willing to pay 3-4x for tickets if our seats have a plastic chair back? They don’t talk about or promote recruiting news, they “open” practices only to kick media out after 30 minutes of stretching, and no one gives media or the fans anything during interviews. Hell, did we even manage to get the ribbon boards up during the 8 month off season?

Winning will cure a lot, no argument there, but our marketing and grasp of social media is abysmal.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
1. We should’ve had a much bigger social media presence. Make it seem like we were trying to get Lebby elected for President or something. We are going to have over a dozen new starters that are transfers or new to the program. Our fans don’t know who the hell is even on our team. We should’ve done far more to introduce these guys.

2. You had a unique opportunity with the return of the CFB video game this year to go all in on promoting with video game tie ins. I know we tried to do a launch event but then we just kinda stopped talking about it.

3. You teased everyone with the interlocking uniforms last year and then put them back in the vault. Definite buzz kill.

4. I do think keeping preseason camp so closed is a mistake when we are having to beg for attention.

The consensus view on us is we’ve resumed our spot in the cellar along with Vandy. Should’ve done far more to combat that view.

22yardpunt

Dec 20, 2009
  • pay off the refs and get a few unexpected W's
  • run 23 trick plays a game
  • engineer a breakup between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce and get her to date Blake Shapen
  • sneak Dak in a few games until Jones pays him $100M
  • deliver free steak dinner to the first 20,000 fans in their seats
  • fireworks after every first down
  • go full Savannah Bananas and wear pink and dance before, during, and after each play
Fireworks after every first down - love it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
seriously??? Elaborate on this cause he’s done a ton more in 18 months than cohen did in 7 years.
What has he done? Football enthusiasm and outlook are Croom era bad. Not totally his fault for sure, but he hasn't done anything since he's been here to make it any better. Basketball is looking good. Baseball appears mired in mediocrity similar to the Polk II years. NIL looks to be woefully behind everyone in the SEC not named Vanderbilt, and would be even worse if not for Charlie Winfield. Marketing, promotion, social media presence, and fan interactions from the athletic dept. appear to be virtually non-existent. I honestly expected a lot more when he was hired.

Brokerdawg

Jul 1, 2012
Take every single dollar you might spend on marketing and buy a LB'er and some DB's.....maybe a DE that can get to the QB.

Sadly nothing else matters anymore.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Obviously wins are all that matter but I just feel like it's more of a bore than normal. It could be perfect storm of expectations, NIL, no idea who our players our, lack of public info, etc.
If I am the AD, I would have found the money to hire an experienced DC, more specifically Geoff Collins.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Lebby's personality just doesn't lend itself to building excitement. He seems like more of a quiet guy in front of the cameras, but then build excitement on the field type of guy - almost like an "under promise/over deliver" mentality.

I also think we feel less excitement this year because of our recent coaches. Mullen was a loud arrogant guy who we rallied behind once we saw he could coach like a MF. Joe talked a big game, which everyone bought into until we realized he couldn't coach. Leach was Leach. Arnett. So all our preseason enthusiasm has been killed off, and Lebby isn't the kind of shittalker that works to build false enthusiasm (Nutt, Freeze, etc.) Hopefully he can coach.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Hard to say, really. I'm currently fighting for my life against total apathy towards collegiate sports. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there for opening weekend, drunker than piss on midrange bourbon, but my heart just isn't in it these days.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
One thing $elmon has done, raised the prices on everything. Btw, has anyone seen the new tailgating rules for the junction? Or parking? I expect a full shake down there.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
If I am the AD, I would have found the money to hire an experienced DC, more specifically Geoff Collins.
The AD dictating who to hire is kinda dicey.

But to the question DS posed, I think if we had hired a few more high profile assistant coaches that would've garnered more media attention.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
It’s just been an exhausting past 6 years. Blowed 2018, suck 2019, new hope 2020 with quick crash after the LSU game, more hope 2021, still hoping 2022 then crash and devastation, inevitable suck 2023 with forced ineptitude.

Now we get gifted a **** sandwich of a schedule for 2024 (Georgia on the road again… yayyy) a new everything on the field.

Couple that with a fanbase that absolutely refuses to get involved financially, making it impossible to keep good coaches and now players due to NIL while we watch teams like Kentucky, Missouri, and Arkansas begin to elevate above us due to buying in. Hell… we can’t get a sizable portion of the fanbase to even give the minimum to the Bulldog Club. “I buy my tickets!! Be thankful for that” while they ***** about the team every weekend in the fall.

We will inevitably, as a fanbase, get sick of UM winning games and ultimately, and predictably, get with the program with NIL about 5 years too late and be behind again.

Reactions: Dawg84 and patdog

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
What has he done? Football enthusiasm and outlook are Croom era bad. Not totally his fault for sure, but he hasn't done anything since he's been here to make it any better. Basketball is looking good. Baseball appears mired in mediocrity similar to the Polk II years. NIL looks to be woefully behind everyone in the SEC not named Vanderbilt, and would be even worse if not for Charlie Winfield. Marketing, promotion, social media presence, and fan interactions from the athletic dept. appear to be virtually non-existent. I honestly expected a lot more when he was hired.
I’m gonna take each point for you
1. Football is upon us and if you have followed the tweets and some other socials and some announcements then you would see they are trying and have some unique things this fall. Could be better but hell of a lot better than cohen
2. Basketball is on fire and Selman has signed Jan’s to two extension since he’s been here and Jan’s is happy with what we are able to do. Just started phase two of the hump renovations as well.
3. I’m not here to say we DGAF about baseball, but… We DGAF about baseball
4. This idea that we are lower tier NIL is some chicken little BS. We are much much closer to middle of the SEC than we are vandy. Hard to comprehend I get but but unlike you 85 Got and others we actually have fans that care. Maybe step up tot he plate and give. Now Let talk football Y’all think the Hs class we signed was free. Y’all think the offensive class from the portal was free. Sure we all would have liked to had gotten a few more pieces but it wasn’t lack of effort or NIl. A lot cause it’s Lebbys first year let’s gets some wins and show some success and both recruitment of portal players will pick up. We have lost two players to NIL one is about to do time the other went to LSU for less money. Now onto basketball We didnt seem to have any issues in the portal or hanging on to players now did we?? That says that we ain’t po ol state like you act like.
5. Fired meathead 10 games into his tenure we don’t typically do that. Went out and hired one of the brightest offensive minds in the game to change the culture and the direction of the program.
6. Has worked hand in hand with the BI to help foster that relationship and even more so now with Rev sharing coming next summer. That’s 22MM we have at our disposal.
7. Soon to be announced master plan for facilities. Other than Dudy noble people don’t realize how little cohen cared about DWS and the up keep.

These are just a few things off the top of my head not counting how we have hired multiple assoc ADs from other power 5 schools. Selman has and is continuing to bring state into the modern era of athletics in the ever changing environment.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m gonna take each point for you
1. Football is upon us and if you have followed the tweets and some other socials and some announcements then you would see they are trying and have some unique things this fall. Could be better but hell of a lot better than cohen
2. Basketball is on fire and Selman has signed Jan’s to two extension since he’s been here and Jan’s is happy with what we are able to do. Just started phase two of the hump renovations as well.
3. I’m not here to say we DGAF about baseball, but… We DGAF about baseball
4. This idea that we are lower tier NIL is some chicken little BS. We are much much closer to middle of the SEC than we are vandy. Hard to comprehend I get but but unlike you 85 Got and others we actually have fans that care. Maybe step up tot he plate and give. Now Let talk football Y’all think the Hs class we signed was free. Y’all think the offensive class from the portal was free. Sure we all would have liked to had gotten a few more pieces but it wasn’t lack of effort or NIl. A lot cause it’s Lebbys first year let’s gets some wins and show some success and both recruitment of portal players will pick up. We have lost two players to NIL one is about to do time the other went to LSU for less money. Now onto basketball We didnt seem to have any issues in the portal or hanging on to players now did we?? That says that we ain’t po ol state like you act like.
5. Fired meathead 10 games into his tenure we don’t typically do that. Went out and hired one of the brightest offensive minds in the game to change the culture and the direction of the program.
6. Has worked hand in hand with the BI to help foster that relationship and even more so now with Rev sharing coming next summer. That’s 22MM we have at our disposal.
7. Soon to be announced master plan for facilities. Other than Dudy noble people don’t realize how little cohen cared about DWS and the up keep.

These are just a few things off the top of my head not counting how we have hired multiple assoc ADs from other power 5 schools. Selman has and is continuing to bring state into the modern era of athletics in the ever changing environment.
If our NIL is doing so great, how come our recruiting, portal recruiting, and roster talent rankings so bad? Either the NIL isn't doing so great or we've got even bigger problems.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If our NIL is doing so great, how come our recruiting, portal recruiting, and roster talent rankings so bad? Either the NIL isn't doing so great or we've got even bigger problems.
Because NIL isn't everything right now. And we had a great portal haul in football and basketball.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah I’m starting to be over the whole thing where we say we are doing fine in NIL but recruit like we aren’t even close to fine. If we are fine, what are the fruits of that? If we aren’t fine, why aren’t we sounding all the alarms?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah I’m starting to be over the whole thing where we say we are doing fine in NIL but recruit like we aren’t even close to fine. If we are fine, what are the fruits of that? If we aren’t fine, why aren’t we sounding all the alarms?
We've just found a lot of "hidden gems" all the big schools have overlooked. I've only been hearing that line for 45 years now. When I was young and naive, I actually believed it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We've just found a lot of "hidden gems" all the big schools have overlooked. I've only been hearing that line for 45 years now. When I was young and naive, I actually believed it.
Well it was true in the Mullen era. But it’s not at the moment.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Mainly cause we have a first year HC coming off a disaster season. We did great in HS recruiting did well on offense side of the ball and retained some talent from the previous year. We added Traore this year who was a four star transfer in the 23 class but had to sit out. Added montrae miller from WVU who was a four star in 23 portal class but played in one game last year before getting hurt. More to it than just throwing cash out this isn’t Amazon. Add those two 4 stars the ranking jump
The NIL is competitive don’t be a prisoner of the moment cause in YOUR mind we didn’t do well in the portal

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Well it was true in the Mullen era. But it’s not at the moment.
Yes i think those days are gone. Those kids are now gone over by the recruiting services by the tenth grade and the big schools have NIL offers at the ready. Totally different recruiting game.

i think most of those DL monsters from 15-20 years ago would have Ohio State and Georgia monitoring them from early in high school now days.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Obviously wins are all that matter but I just feel like it's more of a bore than normal. It could be perfect storm of expectations, NIL, no idea who our players our, lack of public info, etc.
A new sound system, new lights, and painting a new logo on the back of the M Club building would get me very excited about the upcoming season.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Revolt against the SEC and play our home conference games at night. Screw the TV schedule Nazis.

I expect the A&M game (which is in the 2pm - 7pm flex window) to be closer to 2pm than 7pm, which will mean zero night SEC home games this year.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Our "great" football portal class is ranked #45 by 247 Sports.
https://247sports.com/season/2024-football/transferteamrankings/
We added two guys on national watch lists in the portal. We added a proven P4 QB. We had to add so many guys because Leach sucked at recruiting we had to spread out the money. And 247 is a cluster 17 on the portal just like any other portal ranking really. We retooled most of this team where others could spend big on fewer guys. Overall, we were top 30 in college football in recruiting with a first time HC and a program in a hole.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I thought Selmon, being young and from a big time Athletic Department, would come in with a lot of energy, enthusiasm and personality, but he's been very low key considering he's been here a 18 months.

The first order of business stadium/junction wise should have been robust wi-fi/cell signal. Would be easy to do, but not necessarily cheap.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Personally I can't wait until kickoff against EK. And I hate to sound like a former coach but what this program needs is for players to make plays. All the other crap will follow if we get some damn high energy plays instead of dink and dunk. We have what I think is the most well rounded talent under center since Dak. And we have a decent offensive line to go with him. I thought that was the most well executed spring game on offense since I've been a Bulldog fan.

Reactions: Dawg84 and Maroon13

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
We have bitten the "great new coach" cheese too many times to be excitable on that point any more.

If there's no excitement on the field, not much else they can do. Not when every game is on TV and I can watch it from the discomfort of home.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
I'm looking forward to the season.

Having Football is better than no football.

If we make a bowl game i will be pleased.... if we dont make one but at least show signs of life.... i will be just as pleased.

This ^ is about the best I can muster as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You have to go out and muster up some energy if you’re a new head coach, similar to what Danny did. We didn’t do that this year. Lebby thinks his offense will do the heavy lifting. We will see.

Danny did it one year….his first. He hated it, but he did it. After 2009, he didn’t need to do it anymore.

I hope Lebby delivers. But certainly seems more like Moorhead.

Reactions: Mr. Cook and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Revolt against the SEC and play our home conference games at night. Screw the TV schedule Nazis.

I expect the A&M game (which is in the 2pm - 7pm flex window) to be closer to 2pm than 7pm, which will mean zero night SEC home games this year.
That’s not an option. We did good at least getting the Egg Bowl moved to Friday.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We have bitten the "great new coach" cheese too many times to be excitable on that point any more.

If there's no excitement on the field, not much else they can do. Not when every game is on TV and I can watch it from the discomfort of home.
Yeah. He may be great. He really may. But we won’t know anything until at least the Florida game. At least not anything good.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
You have to go out and muster up some energy if you’re a new head coach, similar to what Danny did. We didn’t do that this year. Lebby thinks his offense will do the heavy lifting. We will see.

Danny did it one year….his first. He hated it, but he did it. After 2009, he didn’t need to do it anymore.

I hope Lebby delivers. But certainly seems more like Moorhead.
Coaches have to spend time working the portal now. Dan didn't ever have to spend time on it or slapping hands with boosters to get NIL money.
Morehead came in screaming about ring size like a fool, then hit the water park. These two guys aren't remotely similar.
You know who hasn't done their jobs? Our fans

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The boring and stale Leach years combined with the Arnett train wreck led us to this perceived “lack of excitement”. A good, exciting football team will cure all. Guess we’ll just have to see what transpires this year.

Also, Goat can compare Lebby to Moorhead 500 times this preseason. That doesn’t make it true. It’s an ignorant, lazy comparison.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The boring and stale Leach years combined with the Arnett train wreck led us to this perceived “lack of excitement”. A good, exciting football team will cure all. Guess we’ll just have to see what transpires this year.

Also, Goat can compare Lebby to Moorhead 500 times this preseason. That doesn’t make it true. It’s an ignorant, lazy comparison.
I hope I’m wrong. I’ll admit it if I am. And yes, it’s lazy, as I’m too old to follow like I used to, but I’ve seen this movie many many times.

Won’t be the first time (though the list of wrongness is small).

Reactions: Mr. Cook

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I hope I’m wrong. I’ll admit it if I am. And yes, it’s lazy, as I’m too old to follow like I used to, but I’ve seen this movie many many times.

Won’t be the first time (though the list of wrongness is small).
What movie have you seen repeated many times? I don’t follow

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login