Will the SEC get left out?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There is no chaos at all. SECCG winner is 100% in. If it’s Bama, they are a 1-loss champ of the best conference, would have the best win of any team, and have no bad losses. There can’t be 4 undefeated teams to keep them out.

This was essentially a 6 to 8 team playoff season. Mich-OSU was a playoff game. Oregon-Washington was a playoff game. Bama-UGA is probably a playoff game, although it’s not impossible for both of them to make it. Everybody but Texas can win and be in. Texas is the only one that doesn’t or didn’t control its destiny.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
There is no chaos at all. SECCG winner is 100% in. If it’s Bama, they are a 1-loss champ of the best conference, would have the best win of any team, and have no bad losses. There can’t be 4 undefeated teams to keep them out.

This was essentially a 6 to 8 team playoff season. Mich-OSU was a playoff game. Oregon-Washington was a playoff game. Bama-UGA is probably a playoff game, although it’s not impossible for both of them to make it. Everybody but Texas can win and be in. Texas is the only one that doesn’t or didn’t control its destiny.

Bama lost to Texas. Texas is higher in the last CFB poll. They are the big 12 champs. That's another issue.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. Bama lost in week two. Losses hurt more the later they occur in the season.
If Bama had lost to, say, LSU or Ohio St in week 2, sure. I could buy that. But they lost to Texas. At some point results on the field have to matter more than the perception that the SEC is the best conference so it’s champion must automatically be in the playoff.

Reactions: DoomSlayer

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
If Bama had lost to, say, LSU or Ohio St in week 2, sure. I could buy that. But they lost to Texas. At some point results on the field have to matter more than the perception that the SEC is the best conference so it’s champion must automatically be in the playoff.
Maybe when they stop winning championships

Reactions: Perd Hapley

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
If Bama, FSU, and Michigan win - that’s going to create a big problem.
I don’t think Bama and FSU win tho and that gets you to UGA, Michigan, Washington and Texas.

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
I want gdogs to win, but it would be unbelievably awesome to see the melt down in bama if they won and got left out.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
A bigger travesty than leaving out an undefeated P-5 champion
No, they wouldn’t get in over unbeaten FSU, Michigan, or UW.
or a 12-1 P-5 champion that actually beat the 12-1 SEC champion on the field?
Absolutely. The resumes wouldn’t even be close. Bama would have the best win of any team in the country, two more Top 12-13 wins, and a Top 17-18 win over Tennessee. Texas has nothing on their resume besides the Bama win that is better than what Bama has. Its all they got.

Bama would be the champion of the best league as well. One head-to-head win way back in week 2 by Texas doesn’t trump SOS, conference strength, and 3-4 quality wins that would all be better than anything else Texas has.

You take Texas over Bama, you’re saying a Week 2 regular season game was a de facto CFP matchup, and literally nothing else matters beyond that game result. That goes against everything the committee has ever done.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Bama lost to Texas. Texas is higher in the last CFB poll. They are the big 12 champs. That's another issue.
Of course Texas is higher. Bama hasn’t played / beaten UGA yet, or won the championship of the best conference yet.

If they don’t do those things, none of this matters obviously…..and UGA goes with Washington and then we see what FSU and Michigan do.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Texas is in over Bama, they beat them head to head. That can’t be trumped.

Well, I guess Selmon needs to call the Arizona AD and let him know that MSU will be accepting their bowl bid…..since none of the other 11-12 games matter when comparing two teams besides what happened one time in Week 2.

Reactions: kb549

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
In no world does the SEC champ get left out if they have only one loss and the best win of all eligible teams. No chance.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

If Bama wins and Michigan and FSU win, the SEC is out. Michigan, Washington, and FSU would all be undefeated and Texas beat Bama and would also be conference champs.

Reactions: 85Bears

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
If TX doesn’t get in over Bama if Bama wins then no one should ever schedule a significant OOC game again.
The way it’s going there’s not gonna be that many other conferences soon anyway

Reactions: patdog

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
No, they wouldn’t get in over unbeaten FSU, Michigan, or UW.

Absolutely. The resumes wouldn’t even be close. Bama would have the best win of any team in the country, two more Top 12-13 wins, and a Top 17-18 win over Tennessee. Texas has nothing on their resume besides the Bama win that is better than what Bama has. Its all they got.

Bama would be the champion of the best league as well. One head-to-head win way back in week 2 by Texas doesn’t trump SOS, conference strength, and 3-4 quality wins that would all be better than anything else Texas has.

You take Texas over Bama, you’re saying a Week 2 regular season game was a de facto CFP matchup, and literally nothing else matters beyond that game result. That goes against everything the committee has ever done.

I can't decide if you really believe that stuff you're saying or are you trying to stir the pot?

Week 2 game Head to Head doesn't matter? What's the all time, #1 tie breaker in any scenario between 2 teams? Who won head to head???

Well, I guess in 1941, head to head didn't matter.
1701550515182.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
If Bama wins and Michigan and FSU win, the SEC is out. Michigan, Washington, and FSU would all be undefeated and Texas beat Bama and would also be conference champs.
That’s what is widely being reported by people who analyze this stuff for a living. Sucks but I doubt the talking heads would run with this without some inside information.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
So if Bama beats UGA 56-0, they still don’t get in because they lost to Texas three damn months ago?
That would be my view. The challenge to football
Is it’s an entire season. You have to play the whole season. I wouldn’t give a team a reprieve bc it happened early in the season. Head to head is literally the first tiebreak in any other situation

Reactions: olblue and msdawg90

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
That’s what is widely being reported by people who analyze this stuff for a living. Sucks but I doubt the talking heads would run with this without some inside information.
It is absolute BS because Bama or GA would easily beat any of the other three teams, but it is what will happen. I think that they should leave out the ACC if it happens because their commissioner (I think) is the one who delayed the 12 team playoff - the SEC was ready for it immediately, but some limp dicks pushed it out until next year.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I can't decide if you really believe that stuff you're saying or are you trying to stir the pot?

Week 2 game Head to Head doesn't matter? What's the all time, #1 tie breaker in any scenario between 2 teams? Who won head to head???
You only apply tiebreakers when its an actual tie. It wouldn’t be.

SEC Championship >>> Big 12 Championship . Best league vs. 4th best league.

Wins over UGA, LSU, OM, Tennessee >>>> Texas win over Bama and…..17ing nobody else.

It ain’t always fair, but Texas had their shot to boot Bama out by going undefeated, and they didn’t. They also had some one score wins over some pathetic teams. They haven’t passed the eye test lately.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, I guess Selmon needs to call the Arizona AD and let him know that MSU will be accepting their bowl bid…..since none of the other 11-12 games matter when comparing two teams besides what happened one time in Week 2.
Don’t be a dubmass. You can make a reasonable argument for Bama over Texas. But you’re just being ridiculous comparing it to Arizona & M-State.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
It is absolute BS because Bama or GA would easily beat any of the other three teams, but it is what will happen. I think that they should leave out the ACC if it happens because their commissioner (I think) is the one who delayed the 12 team playoff - the SEC was ready for it immediately, but some limp dicks pushed it out until next year.
I’m not sold on Bama offense , Milroe looked like crap earlier this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Would they though? Who have either of them beat non conference? Heck, who has anyone in the SEC beat non conference? Louisville & Arizona may be the best 2 non conference wins. That’s poor.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Don’t be a dubmass. You can make a reasonable argument for Bama over Texas. But you’re just being ridiculous comparing it to Arizona & M-State.
The point is anything can happen in a single given week over a 13-game college football season. The best team doesn’t always win every single matchup. That’s why the committee has to compare the entire body of work.

And when comparing what Texas and Alabama each would have done in their other 12 contests, Alabama’s results are far, far better than Texas. What “happens on the field” isn’t only what happens when two teams play one time.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The point is anything can happen in a single given week over a 13-game college football season. The best team doesn’t always win every single matchup. That’s why the committee has to compare the entire body of work.

And when comparing what Texas and Alabama each would have done in their other 12 contests, Alabama’s results are far, far better than Texas. What “happens on the field” isn’t only what happens when two teams play one time.
So statistics and slight of hand trump on field results ? I think you have it bassackwards

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login