Will the SEC get left out?

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Personally think it comes down to the committee asking whether they truly feel FSU is better than Texas or Bama. Could see FSU hanging a UCF NC banner for this season.

It’s the unfortunate flaw in the system. Florida State earned their way into consideration but their QB drop off from 1 to 2 has made them obviously not one of the best 4 teams. Florida State was the worst team in the top 8 this weekend and it wasn’t even close.

An 8 team playoff would have been tons of entertainment this year. (I know it’s going to 12 teams next year).

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Personally think it comes down to the committee asking whether they truly feel FSU is better than Texas or Bama. Could see FSU hanging a UCF NC banner for this season.

It’s the unfortunate flaw in the system. Florida State earned their way into consideration but their QB drop off from 1 to 2 has made them obviously not one of the best 4 teams. Florida State was the worst team in the top 8 this weekend and it wasn’t even close.

An 8 team playoff would have been tons of entertainment this year. (I know it’s going to 12 teams next year).
If anything, this is the first time there have been more deserving teams than spots in the 4-team CFP. Most years, there are only 2-3 clear cut teams, and they have to scramble to find a 3rd and 4th or a 4th, and nobody really cares how they sort it out for the back end….but in my opinion they always used the correct logic.

This year you have at least 5 deserving teams and possibly as many as 7 (depending on your opinion of UGA and Ohio State) and zero clear cut dominant teams that are favorites. But you only have 4 teams that can actually win it - Bama, Texas, Georgia, and (maybe) Michigan. I don’t see how you can leave half of those teams out for UW / FSU. But some are suckers for nothing but the W-L record.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
If anything, this is the first time there have been more deserving teams than spots in the 4-team CFP. Most years, there are only 2-3 clear cut teams, and they have to scramble to find a 3rd and 4th or a 4th, and nobody really cares how they sort it out for the back end….but in my opinion they always used the correct logic.

This year you have at least 5 deserving teams and possibly as many as 7 (depending on your opinion of UGA and Ohio State) and zero clear cut dominant teams that are favorites. But you only have 4 teams that can actually win it - Bama, Texas, Georgia, and (maybe) Michigan. I don’t see how you can leave half of those teams out for UW / FSU. But some are suckers for nothing but the W-L record.
I truly believe you could put any of the top 8 on the field against the other and they could win/lose any game other than Florida State. Oregon dropped two to Washington so I can’t argue for them to make anything. Ohio State playing Michigan when they do is killer for them when you have a year with records like we saw this year. Georgia could have easily won today but it just wasn’t their day.

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Alabama
Florida State

They should all be playing for a NC. Problem is the system. That Dellenger article speaks volumes. They should have expanded sooner. I agree this is the first year that more than 3 teams were so deserving. Somebody will lose tomorrow. It might be Florida State or it might be Texas or Alabama and the country. If Florida State is in, their opponent is getting a de facto bye week straight to the NCG.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I am stepping out of the argument but if Texas is not in the system is flawed. I can see Alabama or even Georgia over FSU. They played a weaker schedule but didn’t lose to any other teams. Michigan should be #2 But the Bg10 Holds to much weight in the Selection Committee.

I said this in another thread but Texas played 7 bowl eligible teams. Alabama, OSU & Georgia didn’t.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Its still the best league by a sizeable margin.

B1G - 10 of 14 teams were 7-5 or worse. Turrible. Then you had a 10-2 team that had 6 of those teams with them in a 7-team division. That’s a crap league. Not hard to do what Michigan and Ohio State did when there’s only one other team in the whole league to worry about even a little bit.

Big 12 - 8 of 14 teams were 7-5 or worse, with only two 10-win teams in the league. Mediocre.

ACC - no need to even mention them.

SEC - Four 10-win teams, two 12-win teams. Top of the league is still the best in the country…..as always. Will still have twice as many NFL draft picks as the next highest conference next April, as always. Saying that champion doesn’t get a shot is ridiculous.
ACC beat SEC 6-4 this season in games.

No, not best on best usually, but everyone makes light of FSU’s win over LSU because LSU “wasn’t good”- they weren’t terrible though and FSU destroyed them.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Nov 20, 2023
I think the SEC is out if Bama, Mich and FSU all win.
I can see things both your way and Perd Hapley’s for sure but also wouldn’t doubt if they put Texas in the 4th spot bc of the head to head early season win or go with Bama. It truly is Chaos. Watching the re airing of the PAC 12 game just makes me miss Dillon Johnson this year but am also very happy for him. He did what was best for him! I still miss having him though and yea he’s definitely not soft as several of y’all already posted…

Nov 20, 2023
Sportscenter just posted it like this: Michigan 100%, Washington 99%, FSU 97%, Texas 55% top 4 and Alabama 42% which doesn’t mean they are right necessarily. This is according to Allstate playoff predictor

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
ACC beat SEC 6-4 this season in games.

No, not best on best usually, but everyone makes light of FSU’s win over LSU because LSU “wasn’t good”- they weren’t terrible though and FSU destroyed them.

It's pretty laughable how often teams like LSU and Oklahoma are called things like not good, or horrible. They're Top 15 caliber teams. A win vs LSU is a good win. A loss to Oklahoma is not a disqualifier if your remaining schedule is without a loss and has one very impressive win.

And I'm not arguing for Texas or FSU particularly.

The issue is simple. There are seven teams that have pretty clearly earned an opportunity to play for a national title and only 4 will get to. The system is the problem and it will cost three teams a chance this year.

Reactions: CEO2044

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
FSU ran the table and won a P5 conference championship despite losing an elite QB. Why? Because they have a championship level defense. The same defense that shut down LSU’s high powered offense in the 2nd half of their game in week one. How many times have we seen Alabama do the same damn thing with guys like Jay Barker and Greg McIlroy at QB? Hell, you could argue that they did the same thing with Milroe this year. Point being they wouldn’t be the first team to get a crack at a CF championship with a game manager at QB.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

patdog

May 28, 2007
Playoff should have always been 8 teams and should stay there. P5 champions, highest ranked G5 champion, plus 2 at large (next year 3 at large since only 4 power conferences). That gets everyone in who needs to be there without diluting the field.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Playoff should have always been 8 teams and should stay there. P5 champions, highest ranked G5 champion, plus 2 at large (next year 3 at large since only 4 power conferences). That gets everyone in who needs to be there without diluting the field.
We are about to find out whether it’s supposed to be the teams who’s body of work has earned the spot or the four strongest teams right now. If you really wanted to know who was a champion, you would decide this by the four best teams playing, not by the overall record.

Reactions: Baddog11 and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
We are about to find out whether it’s supposed to be the teams whose body of work has earned the spot or the four strongest teams right now. If you really wanted to know who was a champion, you would decide this by the four best teams playing, not by the overall record.
It will be very interesting. They're going to be heavily criticized no matter what they do. But at the end of the day, I think they're going to go with 3 undefeated P5 champions (hard to argue too much with that), then Ohio St. and Georgia are out because they didn't win their conference, and Texas is in over Alabama on head-to-head.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It will be very interesting. They're going to be heavily criticized no matter what they do. But at the end of the day, I think they're going to go with 3 undefeated P5 champions (hard to argue too much with that), then Ohio St. and Georgia are out because they didn't win their conference, and Texas is in over Alabama on head-to-head.

I think this will prove prophetic, and if Texas is seeded 4th then UM vs UT is likely the de facto NC game.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am stepping out of the argument but if Texas is not in the system is flawed. I can see Alabama or even Georgia over FSU. They played a weaker schedule but didn’t lose to any other teams. Michigan should be #2 But the Bg10 Holds to much weight in the Selection Committee.

I said this in another thread but Texas played 7 bowl eligible teams. Alabama, OSU & Georgia didn’t.
If Texas has the overall best resume, they should be in. Not simply because they beat Alabama. They also lost to Oklahoma.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If Texas has the overall best resume, they should be in. Not simply because they beat Alabama. They also lost to Oklahoma.
One more time and then I’m gone Texas beat Alabama. You can keep throwing Oklahoma up all you want to, but if you’re gonna play head to head in Texas beat Alabama.

it is not the same Bama team, but we’re talking about head to head. In a perfect world they were both get in, but we’re not in a perfect world.

Reactions: Baddog11

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
If I'm on the committee:

Michigan is in because they are undefeated conference champions.
Washington is in because the are undefeated conference champions.
FSU is in because they are undefeated conference champions.

Texas is a one-loss conference champion.
Alabama is a one-loss conference champion.
Georgia is a one-loss conference runner-up.

Teams on paper don't mean more than teams on the field. You have to earn your spot.
Georgia lost to Bama.
Bama beat UGA but lost to Texas.
Texas beat Bama.

Texas is in.

I understand all the argument for or against teams getting in or getting left out and they all have some legitimacy, but as for me, I'm taking Texas. Texas beat Bama on the field. That is my response to every argument. Otherwise, we're back to a subjective poll determining the National Champion.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
If I'm on the committee:

Michigan is in because they are undefeated conference champions.
Washington is in because the are undefeated conference champions.
FSU is in because they are undefeated conference champions.

Texas is a one-loss conference champion.
Alabama is a one-loss conference champion.
Georgia is a one-loss conference runner-up.

Teams on paper don't mean more than teams on the field. You have to earn your spot.
Georgia lost to Bama.
Bama beat UGA but lost to Texas.
Texas beat Bama.

Texas is in.

I understand all the argument for or against teams getting in or getting left out and they all have some legitimacy, but as for me, I'm taking Texas. Texas beat Bama on the field. That is my response to every argument. Otherwise, we're back to a subjective poll determining the National Champion.
This is what will happen. If you take the names of the teams away & just look at the results in the field this season, this is a very easy decision.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Texas are the teams that will get in. Are they the best teams that I can not say for sure? Just the Devil’s opinion.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login