Will the SEC get left out?

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Ole Miss is not getting a NY6 bowl no matter what happens. Most likely they are going to the Citrus vs Iowa.
I'm going to have to correct myself. If FSU wins and gets left out of the CFP they go to the Orange and Louisville is out of the NY6. Because Bama won, it shouldn't be, but this is possible. If FSU wins and is left out of the CFP Ole Miss will get a NY6 Bowl. Unbelievable.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
The committee will meet, all have different opinions, vote and then find an excuse to justify their decision.

Assuming 3 undefeated teams and Texas/Bama/UGA:

If they vote for Texas they will say it was b/t champions and head to head or “best win”.

If they vote Bama they will say it’s between champions and who has the best loss b/t them and Texas.

If the vote UGA, they will say it’s body of work and the team with the best loss.

If they decide to leave FSU out, they will say SOS.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Here’s what I don’t get- FSU is 10x more entertaining to watch than Michigan. They have playmakers all over. Even the backup QB looked better than Michigan’s by 2nd half of the last game.

I never hear anyone make the argument Michigan could be left out. FWIW, OSU also didn’t impress me.
Michigan has hogs up front on both sides of the ball. They would dominate FSU up front all night, wouldn’t be close.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I'm going to have to correct myself. If FSU wins and gets left out of the CFP they go to the Orange and Louisville is out of the NY6. Because Bama won, it shouldn't be, but this is possible. If FSU wins and is left out of the CFP Ole Miss will get a NY6 Bowl. Unbelievable.
FSU won’t get left out. They are undefeated.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What people are apparently missing about this head to head business is that not everybody plays each other. Thus you don’t have enough cross-pollination for head to head to be a legitimate factor.

You have to look at the whole body of work, because what you do on the field is factored in there. One Saturday in September doesn’t trump all that. If it did, then Texas can’t be in, because they lost to Oklahoma, therefore are not better than Oklahoma, and can’t be in unless Oklahoma is in and ahead of them.

See how silly that is?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
This also isn’t the same SEC as most years. It was a down year for the conference overall
Its still the best league by a sizeable margin.

B1G - 10 of 14 teams were 7-5 or worse. Turrible. Then you had a 10-2 team that had 6 of those teams with them in a 7-team division. That’s a crap league. Not hard to do what Michigan and Ohio State did when there’s only one other team in the whole league to worry about even a little bit.

Big 12 - 8 of 14 teams were 7-5 or worse, with only two 10-win teams in the league. Mediocre.

ACC - no need to even mention them.

SEC - Four 10-win teams, two 12-win teams. Top of the league is still the best in the country…..as always. Will still have twice as many NFL draft picks as the next highest conference next April, as always. Saying that champion doesn’t get a shot is ridiculous.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
If Louisville beats Florida State then this all becomes really easy.

If your argument is "the 4 best" then UGA should be in, regardless of the loss today. The two time undefeated national champions that are 29-1 in their last 30 games should not be left out over a 3 point loss to a 12-1 sec team.

If you want to argue 'best' then the 4 best are Michigan, Bama, UGA and UT and you could easily make the argument that Ohio State is.

Reactions: msudawg1200

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wouldn’t the win over Bama be a better win than the win over Georgia now?
The wins would technically be about the same, in a vacuum. Both would have wins over teams that beat everyone else they played.

But its pretty hard to say the SEC championship game and a week 2 regular season matchup have the same clout. I think given the context of UGA being 2-time defending champs, the huge winning streak, and it being a glorified playoff game for them in its own right, thats a bigger win than Texas over Bama.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If your argument is "the 4 best" then UGA should be in, regardless of the loss today. The two time undefeated national champions that are 29-1 in their last 30 games should not be left out over a 3 point loss to a 12-1 sec team.

If you want to argue 'best' then the 4 best are Michigan, Bama, UGA and UT and you could easily make the argument that Ohio State is.
I’d honestly throw out Michigan and put in UW.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Q: Will the SEC get left out?

A: One can only hope. We may never get another chance to see a melt of this magnitude in Tuscaloosa and Athens. It would be the most historic meltdown in modern history and there are few fanbases who are more deserving of the opportunity to entertain us in this way. The pure intensity of the schadenfreude is tantalizing to think about.

I sincerely hope the committee has some people on it who want to see this spectacular meltdown.

Animated GIF

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The wins would technically be about the same, in a vacuum. Both would have wins over teams that beat everyone else they played.

But its pretty hard to say the SEC championship game and a week 2 regular season matchup have the same clout. I think given the context of UGA being 2-time defending champs, the huge winning streak, and it being a glorified playoff game for them in its own right, thats a bigger win than Texas over Bama.

It was a dominating win on Bama's home field. It's extremely impressive. Maybe the best win for any team all year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
What people are apparently missing about this head to head business is that not everybody plays each other. Thus you don’t have enough cross-pollination for head to head to be a legitimate factor.

You have to look at the whole body of work, because what you do on the field is factored in there. One Saturday in September doesn’t trump all that. If it did, then Texas can’t be in, because they lost to Oklahoma, therefore are not better than Oklahoma, and can’t be in unless Oklahoma is in and ahead of them.

See how silly that is?
Whole body of work bama was terrible earlier this year lost to Texas by double digits. Whole season. They were terrible against usf. Almost lost to Auburn who got their *** kicked by New Mexico State.

Should fsu win they are in even if they don't have their qb. More impressive they won their champ game with the back up.

michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

uga didn't win their conference. And Texas already beat Alabama this season. Whole season counts. Can't say well they got better.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It would be so awesome if the Committee was like:

“Look, we’re expanding to 8 and we’ll figure it out”

• Haha
Reactions: hatfieldms

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Assuming Michigan and FSU win, there are seven teams with arguments for the four spots.

First thought is this makes it obvious the larger playoff is much needed.

Second thought is undefeated champs of P5 conferences just can't be left out. That means Michigan, FSU and UW are in.

That leaves four very good teams hoping for one spot. I honestly don't care and won't have an issue with whoever they pick. Yes the SEC teams are probably both Top 4, but it's not as clear as most years and they could both get left out. Life goes on (except in Alabama and Georgia).

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It was a dominating win on Bama's home field. It's extremely impressive. Maybe the best win for any team all year.
Not going to argue that. Announcer in FSU - Lville just mentioned that Texas win over Bama and Bama’s win over UGA are probably the 2 best wins for any team all year in college football.

I was at first of the thought that Bama can’t pass FSU, but its really hard to see that team going in over any out of Bama, Texas, or UGA. All three have a loss, but man….they also all three had way more opportunities for losses.

Reactions: She Mate Me

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Whole body of work bama was terrible earlier this year lost to Texas by double digits. Whole season. They were terrible against usf. Almost lost to Auburn who got their *** kicked by New Mexico State.

Should fsu win they are in even if they don't have their qb. More impressive they won their champ game with the back up.

michigan
Washington
FSU
Texas

uga didn't win their conference. And Texas already beat Alabama this season. Whole season counts. Can't say well they got better.
The precedent for this has been set throughout college football history

Texas has the worst loss

I can’t wait to see how the committee bungles this

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The precedent for this has been set throughout college football history

Texas has the worst loss
Have the best win too. Beat bama on their field this season by double digits. Head to head is precedent to. They have the head to head. Had bama lost to anyone else but Texas they would be in over Texas probably but Texas beat them on the field.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Have the best win too. Beat bama on their field this season by double digits. Head to head is precedent to. They have the head to head. Had bama lost to anyone else but Texas they would be in over Texas probably but Texas beat them on the field.
As I’ve explained earlier, head to head can’t be the main factor. Bottom line, Texas messed up by losing to Oklahoma.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
As I’ve explained earlier, head to head can’t be the main factor. Bottom line, Texas messed up by losing to Oklahoma.
How the hell is head to head not a main factor? That's what the damn play off is! That's the dumbest **** I've ever heard. Bama lost in Tuscaloosa. Bama and sec can be mad but little Nicky should have prepped his team better this past off season instead of buying mansions on the Florida coast. Kirby should have gotten him a better dline in the portal and not relying on last year to win this year. Texas lost on last second play on neutral site. Texas beat bama by 10 in Tuscaloosa.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How the hell is head to head not a main factor? That's what the damn play off is! That's the dumbest **** I've ever heard. Bama lost in Tuscaloosa. Bama and sec can be mad but little Nicky should have prepped his team better this past off season instead of buying mansions on the Florida coast. Kirby should have gotten him a better dline in the portal and not relying on last year to win this year. Texas lost on last second play on neutral site. Texas beat bama by 10 in Tuscaloosa.
Because everybody can’t play each other. That’s why.

Why did FSU get in over Notre Dame in 1993? FSU over Miami in 2000? For the 4th time, this precedent is set.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
You’re debating someone who thought the OU and Texas to the SEC news was a hoax. Don’t waste your time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login