2024 Paris Olympics thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So the $1.5B investment in new sewage systems in Paris paid off, and they were able to conduct the women's (and the men's) triathlon in (and around) the River Seine.

Last edited:

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Katie Ledecky, wow. During these Olympic Games Michael Phelps has said that KL is the undisputed GOAT, man or woman. KL crushed the 1500 today. And f me, this is the second time the women’s 1500 has been an Olympic event; by all rights you have to consider KL deserving of an additional two medals.

I’ve mentioned that KL has babysat my first cousin’s kids, all three of them. They are extraordinarily fine young people and I am fiercely proud of them. Katie made a difference.
I'm guessing she swims it about as fast as I could run it

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Katie Ledecky, wow. During these Olympic Games Michael Phelps has said that KL is the undisputed GOAT, man or woman. KL crushed the 1500 today. And f me, this is the second time the women’s 1500 has been an Olympic event; by all rights you have to consider KL deserving of an additional two medals.

I’ve mentioned that KL has babysat my first cousin’s kids, all three of them. They are extraordinarily fine young people and I am fiercely proud of them. Katie made a difference.
I’d forgotten this. After the 2020 Olympics (which took place in 2021), the youngest of these kids took KL to Show-and-Tell at his elementary school, Olympic medals and all. Good story.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
I’ve noticed that the USA women’s gymnastics team has been trending a bit older the last few Olympics, with most of them being 18yr old or older. Is this trending worldwide or just here? Did they change the scoring criteria? I know a few years ago the installed a minimum age requirement. I’ve always found it odd that with women’s gymnastics was the only physical sport that I can think of where you were past your prime before you were twenty. It never made sense to me. Even now, Biles is considered a grande dame at the ripe old age of 27. Isn’t mid to late twenties considered to be your prime for most physically intensive sports?
It has more to do with body composition. Women entering puberty start adding adipose tissue for child bearing. Adipose tissue is added weight in gymnastics. China started using pre-pubescent girls in gymnastics leading to the minimal age guidelines. If you notice most Olympic female gymnasts are under 5 ft tall and less than 100 lbs. Spinning is aided by a small moment of inertia - short stature - think of figure skaters tucking in arms to spin faster, and low body weight. Gymnasts with low body fat and higher muscle to fat ratio have a distinct advantage. Hence younger is better since they have lower adipose tissue levels. However it takes years to learn elite skills so it comes down to body vs brain to determine best age.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
It has more to do with body composition. Women entering puberty start adding adipose tissue for child bearing. Adipose tissue is added weight in gymnastics. China started using pre-pubescent girls in gymnastics leading to the minimal age guidelines. If you notice most Olympic female gymnasts are under 5 ft tall and less than 100 lbs. Spinning is aided by a small moment of inertia - short stature - think of figure skaters tucking in arms to spin faster, and low body weight. Gymnasts with low body fat and higher muscle to fat ratio have a distinct advantage. Hence younger is better since they have lower adipose tissue levels. However it takes years to learn elite skills so it comes down to body vs brain to determine best age.

I understand all of that, but those same physical changes happen to all women. The fact that only 'women's' gymnastics has been dominated by teenagers tells me that there is something fundamentally wrong, or at least odd with the sport.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
U.S. wins gold and bronze in the women’s gymnastics all-around.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Women’s beach volleyball on NBC right now. U.S. vs. China. Holy hell.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It ain't easy being cheesy...

I'll see my way out.

It’s a NIL!!

Inglorious Basterds Ok GIF

Reactions: STPGopherfan

mfb5053

Oct 12, 2021
Remember trampolines in your middle school gym classes? I once nearly broke my nose. No way those things are found in public schools anymore, climbing ropes either.
Can confirm the climbing rope is still used in Howard County. I was shocked when my 6 year old told me she climbed to the top in gym class.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The USA's 1st gold in rowing. The team of 4 was composed of two that grew up in suburban Philadelphia, one that grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and the 4th from Connecticut. It was the 1st Olympic gold the USA won in a four-man boat since 1960.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Great race by Douglas to win the gold. The South African had won the 100 breaststroke, and really put up a battle in the 200.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This may have been the last highlight for the USA. I think the final score was 5-2, Great Britain.

Latest posts