If I were making the coaching decision - this is what I would do...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Put Arnett as Head coach. Bump his pay by 3 million. Take the money you are saving from Leach's salary and go get an OC from the Leach tree. People have mentioned the head coach from North Texas that was recently let go. Someone made the point to me yesterday that we should sign him to a 4 year contract with an exit clause that makes it easy for both sides to move on if it doesn't work out after a year or 2.

To me, it's the most fair thing to do. Leach's offensive assistants shouldn't lose their jobs because of an untimely death. Should fair even be a word used in big time college football? Maybe not but it seems like the right thing to do.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Put Arnett as Head coach. Bump his pay by 3 million. Take the money you are saving from Leach's salary and go get an OC from the Leach tree. People have mentioned the head coach from North Texas that was recently let go. Someone made the point to me yesterday that we should sign him to a 4 year contract with an exit clause that makes it easy for both sides to move on if it doesn't work out after a year or 2.

To me, it's the most fair thing to do. Leach's offensive assistants shouldn't lose their jobs because of an untimely death. Should fair even be a word used in big time college football? Maybe not but it seems like the right thing to do.
What kind of coach is Steve Spurrier, Jr. If he could carry on Leach's offense, promote him to OC.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Season 1 Spock GIF by Paramount+

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
I think it’s imperative based on the construction of our roster currently that we go out and hire the best Leach disciple possible. We need to continue on with Air Raid concepts for the immediate future simply due to how our roster is set up. We don’t have the Oline or running backs to move to a run heavy offense immediately.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I never thought I’d be down for a defensive head coach; but with our current version of the air raid, it’s the most logical solution. Gives us the flexibility to tweak it to a more modern version or transition out of it without changing the head coach.

Plus, Arnett as HC with most if not all of the assistants retained gives this team stability which I’m sure is much needed after this loss.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Arnett keeps interim label until we get the new AD in place. This recruiting class is likely to be a disaster regardless. We have to think long term here. No rash decisions as an emotional reaction to getting killed in recruiting. The motherfuckerheads up north can go 17 themselves by the way.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Will Bracky be allowed to make the decision as interim AD? Agree we find the best Leach disciple available to run to offense but I think keeping Arnett is a great idea as HC. Does this hurry our AD search any?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I would look at Brett Bartolone as well. He was who Leach told Deion to hire to run the Air Raid for Jackson State.

If you promote Spurrier, Jr, you could try and bring in Bumphis again.

Dr Keemun is the one who needs to make this decision soon because we can’t wait on the new AD. It might be a bad decision - promoting from within and keeping the band together, but it’s a tough situation for the players and commits to ask them to stick around while you figure out what to do.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I say we go offer Garrett Riley from TCU about 1 to 1.2 and let him run the offense
He's not leaving TCU for State to coach behind a young HC. I don't believe Kittley would leave TT either since he's from there and it's a lateral move basically. Littrell and maybe Graham Harrell look like options.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I say we go offer Garrett Riley from TCU about 1 to 1.2 and let him run the offense
I don’t think it’s impossible to get him. Arnett will give the OC complete control of the offense like he has had with the defense. Riley doesn’t have that at TCU or at least he’s not getting full credit for it.

Reactions: vandaldawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Will Bracky be allowed to make the decision as interim AD? Agree we find the best Leach disciple available to run to offense but I think keeping Arnett is a great idea as HC. Does this hurry our AD search any?
AD search has been pushed back further. Will be after Christmas now it appears. Signing day is next week. We can't wait around too long on a coach. Won't be surprised if it happens later this week.

Reactions: cytubb

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t think it’s impossible to get him. Arnett will give the OC complete control of the offense like he has had with the defense. Riley doesn’t have that at TCU or at least he’s not getting full credit for it.
He's only been a coordinator since 2020. All under Dykes. TCU is a better job than MSU. They're about to run that conference once TX and OK leave.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Under the circumstances this seems like the only logical way to go. Obviously a great man's untimely death is by far the biggest tragedy but looking past that for just a minute we really are in a precarious spot. We are coming down the wire on signing day with the sudden loss of our HC and without even an AD. We also are coming into what should be an apex year in our returning talent. Moving forward with a coaching search now would essentially make this a missed recruiting year and also likely kill momentum on what should be a very good season next year. The only way to even attempt to salvage either is to promote within the program and try to maintain some sort of status quo. This also carries a degree of risk though. It all comes down to an assessment as to whether Arnette is ready to lead the charge and that decision will have to be made without an AD.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
This is what I’ve been thinking as well, but wait until after the bowl game to announce it - Arnett as HC, bring in a young-ish OC to run the “modern” Air Raid.

Like it or not, our roster is set up to run the Air Raid and continuing that philosophy is the best way to get the most out of this recruiting cycle (and minimize transfer portal losses).

If we try to totally revamp the offensive philosophy now, we’re looking at 2 - 3 “rebuilding” years until we flip our roster, again…

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Arnett keeps interim label until we get the new AD in place. This recruiting class is likely to be a disaster regardless. We have to think long term here. No rash decisions as an emotional reaction to getting killed in recruiting. The motherfuckerheads up north can go 17 themselves by the way.
We really should have already named an AD but us waiting until after the holidays to finish this up while we are in our current situation is borderline negligible unless you’re going to name Arnett the full time coach this week, which should not be the job of the president without a sitting AD in place. That’s like me going to the hospital and telling the Dr what to do.

Reactions: patdog

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Mason Miller, the O-line coach has been with Leech forever. He should get a chance. There are others working as assistants who could take the job at O-line. Coach Miller deserves a chance. I like Spurrier. He has been with Coach Leach since Oklahoma, but he has always chosen to be an assistant. Promote from within, I say.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007

Also take some of that money and put it in NIL. Are we at the point in college football where an extra $1 million on players gets you more than an extra $1 million to the coaching staff?

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Arnett is the one holding the best cards here. Either you promote him to head coach or you bring someone else in. Those seem to be the options. If you bring someone else in, does Arnett stay? Who knows. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. Maybe it depends on who it is. But he knows how much we want him to stay, and thus has found himself in a strong negotiating position.

We are also assuming that if Arnett is promoted to HC he retains the entire staff. It would not be out of the question for him to go in a different direction with the offensive scheme. I'm certainly not rooting for that and would hate to see coaches lose their job because of this tragedy, but if you are going to make the man the head coach, he has to be allowed to build the staff the way he wants it.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Call Sonny Dykes. Offer him $8 MM per.

After he says “No”, start working the phones.

We are in an unusual position here, and shouldn’t squander it. The good news is that Cohen isn’t here to screw it up. The bad news is we have to move quickly to find an AD up to the challenge.

I would love to see Arnett given a chance. But Mullen and Leach have made State a more desirable coaching destination. We will always be a stepping stone, but we are only one step from the top. And we are no longer a coaching graveyard. We need to think big.

I do not think we should limit ourselves to Air Raid coaches, either. Another rebuild could be on the horizon. But if we find a coach - head coach or OC - who runs a modern spread, then we are merely a QB away from being ready. And maybe a couple tight ends.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
One thing you guys seem to be assuming is that all of our assistants will stick around. Do we feel confident they’d want to work under Arnett, particularly the offensive guys?

Jul 25, 2014

Agree. We are in a tough situation. Don't make it worse. This is best plan

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Most of you guys seriously overthink things. We were all so concerned about losing Arnett to a Hc job in this off-season. Now we can offer him one. If Spurrier wouldn't be an outstanding choice for OC I don't know who would. Go look at his history. Probly coached more bowl games than any other coach not named Saban. He has tons of experience. Plus he has 6 kids. He could use the pay raise

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

This seems the most logical and probably only option if we want to hold on to any current players and recruits. Have no idea if any of current staff is ready to take over as OC. Long term, I strongly prefer a HC/OC for stability on that side of the ball, if Arnett were to ever leave.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I kinda think the job is Arnett's to lose. If he grabs the job by the balls and keeps this mess together through signing day and the bowl then he'll have demonstrated leadership that we need right now.
I'm with you all the way. He brings experience as a DC and has an offensive staff that has worked under Coach Leach for years. This program needs stability after what it has gone through over the last few years. Arnett has provided that as DC when and where we needed it most. He also brings the passion that many fans seek in a head coach. If the chemistry between him and the offensive staff jells then we can continue down the path that coach Leach established for our program. We owe it to the players and the recruits to keep the program moving forward.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Keenum would have to see what Arnett’s plan is if he were to be promoted. Otherwise, Keenum needs to pick up the slack and make a hire to lead the program moving forward. State is in the most unfortunate situation of taking a large risk with unknowns/unprovens or retreads (Holgorsen or similar) to keep continuity or hire somebody else who basically blows everything up and get ready for rebuilding…again.

I’m calling Todd Monken and at least seeing if he’s interested.

But what do I know?

Reactions: Ghostman

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
One thing you guys seem to be assuming is that all of our assistants will stick around. Do we feel confident they’d want to work under Arnett, particularly the offensive guys?
I think they will stick around for another year. It's late in the game to find another job and they would at least have one year of good pay and security.

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022

I'm intrigued by Garret Riley. He played at Texas Tech in 08 09, brother of Lincoln Riley, and just won award for Top Assistant in college football. He is young though.
Riley

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Most of you guys seriously overthink things. We were all so concerned about losing Arnett to a Hc job in this off-season. Now we can offer him one. If Spurrier wouldn't be an outstanding choice for OC I don't know who would. Go look at his history. Probly coached more bowl games than any other coach not named Saban. He has tons of experience. Plus he has 6 kids. He could use the pay raise
I guess my question is this: if he's such a great choice then why in 25 years of coaching has he never been an OC?

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
This is what I’ve been thinking as well, but wait until after the bowl game to announce it - Arnett as HC, bring in a young-ish OC to run the “modern” Air Raid.

Like it or not, our roster is set up to run the Air Raid and continuing that philosophy is the best way to get the most out of this recruiting cycle (and minimize transfer portal losses).

If we try to totally revamp the offensive philosophy now, we’re looking at 2 - 3 “rebuilding” years until we flip our roster, again…
If you want to salvage this recruiting class you can't wait until after the bowl game.

Reactions: cytubb
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login