Keenum has got to go.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Here’s the thing: Mississippi’s school age population is dropping. If you don’t want MSU to do what Ole Miss is doing and educate out of state students, then you are against the continued operations of Mississippi State University.

TLDR: Texas Rejects > Mis’sip Genuses

Dude is 63. He ain’t gonna be President of MSU for 40+ years like Clyde Muse was at Hinds Community College.

His retirement will happen sometime in the next few years.
Oh hogwash. Why is it always all or nothing? We have always had out of state students, we always will. We have just never made them the primary focus. That is as it should be. It doesn't matter if they are smarter in Texas, MSU is a MISSISSIPPI University.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mississippi State has always had as its primary focus educating the people of Mississippi. I do not want to see that change. I do NOT want to see MSU become another Ole Miss. If they want to educate the rejects from Georgia and Texas as their primary focus then good for them, provided they stop taking Mississippi tax dollars.
You do realize the rejects are paying top dollar to be educated, don't you?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Oh hogwash. Why is it always all or nothing? We have always had out of state students, we always will. We have just never made them the primary focus. That is as it should be. It doesn't matter if they are smarter in Texas, MSU is a MISSISSIPPI University.

Why is it a bad thing to get out of state students to come here? It's more money and more exposure.

I swear to God our MSU people still ONLY want to be the best University in Oktibbeha county.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Why is it a bad thing to get out of state students to come here? It's more money and more exposure.

I swear to God our MSU people still ONLY want to be the best University in Oktibbeha county.
Again, why is it always all or nothing here? Y'all are some weird dudes. There is nothing wrong with it, but making them the emphasis IS wrong. Our emphasis should always be Mississippi students.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You do realize the rejects are paying top dollar to be educated, don't you?
Again, why is it all or nothing with yall? Our emphasis still has to be on Mississippi students. We are a Mississippi public university. If that isn't our emphasis, then we have betrayed the trust of the people of this state. Any out of stater should be welcomed, as long as he/she isn't depriving a Mississippian of an opportunity.

Reactions: VegasDawg13

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Again, why is it always all or nothing here? Y'all are some weird dudes. There is nothing wrong with it, but making them the emphasis IS wrong. Our emphasis should always be Mississippi students.
I'll have to go back though and see if some idiot actually said "We should only try to get out of state students to MSU" or if you made **** up.

I said we should take advantage of another Ag school limiting enrollment, so we can expand our fanbase, and get the extra $$$ that comes from out of state tuition.

Not sure how you spun that to not taking Mississippi people....

Also, Keenum has been an excellent president for the university.

Reactions: jacksondawg20

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's easier to get to Oxford than Starkville.

That's what kills us in Texas and points west.

Get flights into GTR from Dallas and Houston, and we will get more OOS.
TAMU is freezing enrollment growth. We could take advantage of that, but need a way for them and parents to get to campus without a car, or a 2 hour drive to a direct flight airport.
Agreed.

With that said though, it’s nice to have a university in one of the few states with a growing college student population that can afford to make the additions and changes at this time to better serve students.
East TX has always been the place I would have chosen to invest our recruiting efforts. Growing, big need for engineers, and the terrain isn't too dissimilar to MS once you get out of Dallas and Houston, so you may have a Chinaman's Chance of keeping some of them. And maybe some of those suburban Dallas or Houston kids want to the greenery of MS or something. And like ya'll said, the Texas schools can't take them all.

All the people saying we should get out of the SEC - tell me this - if we didn't have that SEC status....what is the rationale for those students choosing MSU over North Texas, Texas State, UTSA at that point?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'll have to go back though and see if some idiot actually said "We should only try to get out of state students to MSU" or if you made **** up.

I said we should take advantage of another Ag school limiting enrollment, so we can expand our fanbase, and get the extra $$$ that comes from out of state tuition.

Not sure how you spun that to not taking Mississippi people....

Also, Keenum has been an excellent president for the university.
I didn't say that either. There are calls here for us to do what UM and Bama are doing, placing heavy emphasis and resources on out of state students. I think Bama has less than 40% in state students now. I think I saw where Ole Miss is less than 50%. I don't want that for MSU.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I didn't say that either. There are calls here for us to do what UM and Bama are doing, placing heavy emphasis on out of state students. I think Bama has less than 40% in state students now. I think I saw where Ole Miss is less than 50%. I don't want that for MSU.
It's easier to get to Bama and Ole Miss than Starkville.

And I don't want us to not serve the population of Mississippi, but if we can grow MSU to 30,000 students, by growing the fanbase, then why not?

IMO, people that think like you are holding us back way more than Keenum, or Selmon. Migh as well bring back Templeton and keep us in the black.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again, why is it all or nothing with yall? Our emphasis still has to be on Mississippi students. We are a Mississippi public university. If that isn't our emphasis, then we have betrayed the trust of the people of this state. Any out of stater should be welcomed, as long as he/she isn't depriving a Mississippian of an opportunity.
Because you said they should quit taking state funds to educate the out of staters, you hard headed m17er. You're the one being all or nothing.

No one here wants MSU to have a majority of out-of-state students. And you also don't realize that MSU's job is also to help the state of MS. And bringing in out-of-state people and ideas through the colleges is one big way you do that. Ask Clemson.

I think many Mississippians still live in denial about our stagnant population.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I have not read this thread except

Bama started their OOS push 2 decades ago. They went from 75% in state in '02 to 37% in state in '22. And they doubled enrollment at the same time.
There have been 3 MSU presidents since '02, and another 2 interim. None of those 3 or 5 have done what you want. This is worth pointing out because 1- it is a long process to implement and 2- its not like only Keenum has 'failed' in this regard.

There is a definitely legitimate philosophical question here too- should MSU try to become a state university that serves 75% out of state students.
Perhaps more important from a philosophical standpoint:

When will MSU fully realize that it is in the business of higher education that is competing internationally — not just in the State of Mississippi?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
TAMU is freezing enrollment growth. We could take advantage of that, but need a way for them and parents to get to campus without a car, or a 2 hour drive to a direct flight airport.
Do people really see a huge difference in getting to Oxford vs to stark from Jackson, Bham, Memphis. It doesn’t really seem like a huge deal to me and I don’t think we are getting beat on OOS bc of flights.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I didn't say that either. There are calls here for us to do what UM and Bama are doing, placing heavy emphasis and resources on out of state students. I think Bama has less than 40% in state students now. I think I saw where Ole Miss is less than 50%. I don't want that for MSU.
But Ole Miss isn't reducing the number of instate students. They are just adding out of state students. I don't know how badly if at all that is impacting the resources/services they get from the university, but assuming they can still get into classes and still have dorms or off campus housing available, that doesn't seem like a bad thing. You know, except for all the out of state racists they are attractive, but they were getting those regardless I think, so adding more out of state students actually dilutes the racism they are importing into mississippi.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Do people really see a huge difference in getting to Oxford vs to stark from Jackson, Bham, Memphis. It doesn’t really seem like a huge deal to me and I don’t think we are getting beat on OOS bc of flights.
How many times have you flown west from GTR? It sucks.

Ole Miss has a shuttle to and from the Memphis airport. It's an 1:15 drive.

GTR gets you to Atlanta (where we get a decent number of students), and that's it. Any other airport is at least twice as long.

I'm telling you what I'm told by MSU parents in Houston at send off events. Having to rent a car and drive 2+ hours after a flight to see the kids, or fly 6-8 hours via Atlanta is a huge negative.

Also, it makes it so the kids need a car, or a ride.

I've also been told by several people in the athletic department that not having a direct flight closer is a HUGE issue with recruiting Texas.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
How many times have you flown west from GTR? It sucks.

Ole Miss has a shuttle to and from the Memphis airport. It's an 1:15 drive.

GTR gets you to Atlanta (where we get a decent number of students), and that's it. Any other airport is at least twice as long.

I'm telling you what I'm told by MSU parents in Houston at send off events. Having to rent a car and drive 2+ hours after a flight to see the kids, or fly 6-8 hours via Atlanta is a huge negative.

Also, it makes it so the kids need a car, or a ride.

I've also been told by several people in the athletic department that not having a direct flight closer is a HUGE issue with recruiting Texas.
Fair enough. Just seems wierd. JAN is like an hour and 40 minutes from stark. Bham isn’t much more. If your kid is going out of state somewhere without a major airport I’m not sure why that’s a huge deal but I’m not them.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Fair enough. Just seems wierd. JAN is like an hour and 40 minutes from stark. Bham isn’t much more. If your kid is going out of state somewhere without a major airport I’m not sure why that’s a huge deal but I’m not them.

You must not travel that much.

And you are flying to make it to JAN from Stark in 1:40.

Mostly, it makes 2 long travel days. For example: From Houston flight to JAN land at 4pm and 9pm. That means a 1/2 workday or a late flight. add in getting a car, and it's 11:30- midnight rolling in to Starkville.
Saturday is gameday.
Sunday flights back are 2 and 6. That's leaving Starkville by 11am or 3pm. It's a short turn around.

Cutting an hour off that on each end is huge. and if there was a flight to GTR, cuts 2 hours off each end. That's a lot of time.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Mississippi State has always had as its primary focus educating the people of Mississippi. I do not want to see that change. I do NOT want to see MSU become another Ole Miss. If they want to educate the rejects from Georgia and Texas as their primary focus then good for them, provided they stop taking Mississippi tax dollars.
This thinking is flawed on multiple levels. But, hey, if you want to keep Mississippi 50th, go right on with yourself.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Here’s the thing: Mississippi’s school age population is dropping. If you don’t want MSU to do what Ole Miss is doing and educate out of state students, then you are against the continued operations of Mississippi State University.

TLDR: Texas Rejects > Mis’sip Genuses

Dude is 63. He ain’t gonna be President of MSU for 40+ years like Clyde Muse was at Hinds Community College.

His retirement will happen sometime in the next few years.
If not sooner…..

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Oxford is like…what?…50 minutes from MEM?

Reactions: ChE1997

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You must not travel that much.

And you are flying to make it to JAN from Stark in 1:40.

Mostly, it makes 2 long travel days. For example: From Houston flight to JAN land at 4pm and 9pm. That means a 1/2 workday or a late flight. add in getting a car, and it's 11:30- midnight rolling in to Starkville.
Saturday is gameday.
Sunday flights back are 2 and 6. That's leaving Starkville by 11am or 3pm. It's a short turn around.

Cutting an hour off that on each end is huge. and if there was a flight to GTR, cuts 2 hours off each end. That's a lot of time.
I don’t travel that much and wouldn’t if my child went to school in Houston or Dallas. I’d probably go 2-4 times a year. Maybe. So that’s why the difference doesn’t seem like a huge deal to me.

and yes it’s 123 miles from JAN to Stark so that’s about 1 hour 40 minutes at 75 mph. Again if people are saying it’s holding them back from going to state then it is. I can’t dispute that.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I flew a bunch during college and always out of GTR.

Flew MSU - Chicago probably 15 times.
- GTR > ATL > ORD.

Flew MSU - San Francisco probably 8 times.
- GTR > ATL > MSP(minneapolis) > SFO
- GRR > ATL > SLC > OAK(oakland)

It was always multiple stops and always inconvenient as 17.
But I was in college and had quite literally nothing better to do because I would have otherwise been playing some video game, golfing, drinking, or sleeping.
And for as inconvenient as the flights were, they were always more convenient than me driving. I know because I did that a ton too.

Any 18-22 that lives in a metro with Delta direct flights to ATL should be fine with flying to MSU vs Ole Miss.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This thinking is flawed on multiple levels. But, hey, if you want to keep Mississippi 50th, go right on with yourself.
No, what yall want will keep us on the bottom forever. We have to educate Mississippians. Educating Texans helps Texas.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I flew a bunch during college and always out of GTR.

Flew MSU - Chicago probably 15 times.
- GTR > ATL > ORD.

Flew MSU - San Francisco probably 8 times.
- GTR > ATL > MSP(minneapolis) > SFO
- GRR > ATL > SLC > OAK(oakland)

It was always multiple stops and always inconvenient as 17.
But I was in college and had quite literally nothing better to do because I would have otherwise been playing some video game, golfing, drinking, or sleeping.
And for as inconvenient as the flights were, they were always more convenient than me driving. I know because I did that a ton too.

Any 18-22 that lives in a metro with Delta direct flights to ATL should be fine with flying to MSU vs Ole Miss.
It's not the kids. It's the parents. You know the ones paying....

So think about missing work, or taking PTO to make those flights.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
No, what yall want will keep us on the bottom forever. We have to educate Mississippians. Educating Texans helps Texas.

You know, if kids go to school at State, some might stay in Mississippi,

Educating in Mississippi helps Mississippi.

Mississippi State: Ranked #1 in Oktibbeha County since 1878

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Now if yall REALLY care about higher education in Mississippi, here is what you do: You close all the public universities in Mississippi except State, Ole Miss, Southern, and Jackson State. You allocate the biggest share of the savings to JSU. You make UMC its own entity so it can be run without interference from Oxford. You give absolute priority to Mississippi residents at all of them. You take a HARD look at the community college system. There is no reason to have a campus or a branch campus in half the counties. This will never be done of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You know, if kids go to school at State, some might stay in Mississippi,

Educating in Mississippi helps Mississippi.

Mississippi State: Ranked #1 in Oktibbeha County since 1878
Yes, a significant % of those out of staters are going to stay here.****** That isn't happening now, and it isn't going to happen. You have a MUCH better chance of a Mississippi native staying, not that they are not leaving in droves too.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
That's a wild take. A state with a small population, that is limited to educating those few will whither and die. MS as a whole benefits from population coming in from out of state, because many will stay. MS and MSU grow and that's desperately needed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t travel that much and wouldn’t if my child went to school in Houston or Dallas. I’d probably go 2-4 times a year. Maybe. So that’s why the difference doesn’t seem like a huge deal to me.

and yes it’s 123 miles from JAN to Stark so that’s about 1 hour 40 minutes at 75 mph. Again if people are saying it’s holding them back from going to state then it is. I can’t dispute that.
It’s the shuttle to MEM that helps Ole Miss the most. No driving. 1:10. Maybe if we could get one to JAN or MEI, we might make that work to Texas.

That’s not happening so it’s GTR or nothing.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That's a wild take. A state with a small population, that is limited to educated those few will whither and die. MS as a whole benefits from population coming in from out of state, because many will stay.
Are many staying now? I always have to laugh at that.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Are many staying now? I always have to laugh at that.
Not many are enrolled, that's the point. The more that come, the more opportunity to grow the MS population. Surely you understand that...
I swear, it's like yall want to keep MSU a damn secret, and it's laughable as hell!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Now if yall REALLY care about higher education in Mississippi, here is what you do: You close all the public universities in Mississippi except State, Ole Miss, Southern, and Jackson State. You allocate the biggest share of the savings to JSU. You make UMC its own entity so it can be run without interference from Oxford. You give absolute priority to Mississippi residents at all of them. You take a HARD look at the community college system. There is no reason to have a campus or a branch campus in half the counties. This will never be done of course.
Soooo…..more education, by cutting schools. Got it.

That may help MSU (and those other 3 schools), but it doesn’t necessarily help MS. Not a needle mover, and takes jobs away.

Hard pass.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Not many are enrolled, that's the point. The more that come, the more opportunity to grow the MS population. Surely you understand that...
Wait a minute now, y'all have been all over this thread saying how many out of staters are at Ole Miss. Are many of them staying?

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Wait a minute now, y'all have been all over this thread saying how many out of staters are at Ole Miss. Are many of them staying?
I'd bet more of them stay than the fraction of the number State has. Odds are greater that more of them stay and opportunity for them to do so is greater. You're welcome to attempt to prove that's not true.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'd bet more of them stay than the fraction of the number State has. Odds are greater that more of them stay and opportunity for them to do so is greater. You're welcome to attempt to prove that's not true.
Care to back that up with actual numbers? What % actually stay? Why would the opportunity for them to stay be greater? What is the % of in state students that stay? If it's higher wouldn't that mean that the more in state students you educate, the more college grads there are that stay in Mississippi? Y'all are the ones making an argument to change things. Back it up.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yes, a significant % of those out of staters are going to stay here.****** That isn't happening now, and it isn't going to happen. You have a MUCH better chance of a Mississippi native staying, not that they are not leaving in droves too.
Do you think it will increase or decrease the number of out of state students staying now?

And they pay out of state tuition....

I really don't see the downside.

Unless you are mentally deficient and think you want to spend all the money to attract students from out of state....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Do you think it will increase or decrease the number of out of state students staying now?

Unless you are mentally deficient and think you want to spend all the money to attract students from out of state....
I'm not saying turn them away. Good grief what is wrong with you people? I'm saying you don't put more emphasis on them than you do Mississippians. Mississippians should come first. Don't turn away qualified Mississippians for people that pay more. That is NOT what a PUBLIC university in any state should be doing really. It would especially harmful here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I THINK what he means, is that we should be educating the MS students that are currently at the schools he suggested closing (Valley, Alcorn, Delta State, Belhaven, etc.), rather than allowing out-of-state students to pay their way.

Hopefully we all agree that we aren't talking about cutting in-state enrollment. Hopefully that continues to go up too, but we certainly aren't hampering that. Maybe he thinks we are. Talk about being all or nothing. Scarcity mindset.

I'm curious as to why he thinks that helps anything.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login