Keenum has got to go.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I THINK what he means, is that we should be educating the MS students that are currently at the schools he suggested closing (Valley, Alcorn, Delta State, Belhaven, etc.), rather than allowing out-of-state students to pay their way.

Hopefully we all agree that we aren't talking about cutting in-state enrollment. Hopefully that continues to go up too, but we certainly aren't hampering that. Maybe he thinks we are. Talk about being all or nothing. Scarcity mindset.

I'm curious as to why he thinks that helps anything.
Because he's short-sighted. MS would lose more opportunities closing schools than by making it easier for OOS kids to attend State.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It’s the shuttle to MEM that helps Ole Miss the most. No driving. 1:10. Maybe if we could get one to JAN or MEI, we might make that work to Texas.

That’s not happening so it’s GTR or nothing.
Probably a lot easier to get a shuttle than to wish for a flight to GTR. They used to run a shuttle daily from the R&D center to Stark every single day in the 90s. It was great. Forget something at home and just have someone put it on the shuttle

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I THINK what he means, is that we should be educating the MS students that are currently at the schools he suggested closing (Valley, Alcorn, Delta State, Belhaven, etc.), rather than allowing out-of-state students to pay their way.

Hopefully we all agree that we aren't talking about cutting in-state enrollment. Hopefully that continues to go up too, but we certainly aren't hampering that. Maybe he thinks we are. Talk about being all or nothing. Scarcity mindset.

I'm curious as to why he thinks that helps anything.
You got it, for the most part. I do think that what UM is doing is beginning to hurt in state students. If we start doing it too that would be a problem. If you can bring in more out of state students without hurting both enrollment and scholarship opportunities for in state students, then that's fine.

My suggestion for cutting schools is DOA of course. The legal fights would bankrupt the state.

• Haha
Reactions: jacksondawg20

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Probably a lot easier to get a shuttle than to wish for a flight to GTR. They used to run a shuttle daily from the R&D center to Stark every single day in the 90s. It was great. Forget something at home and just have someone put it on the shuttle
SMART meets every flight at GTR. GTR really needs a westbound flight to either DFW or Houston.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Shuttle to MEI and get a direct flight to Houston. Little farther than Ole Miss to MEM though, about 100 miles, 1:31. May could be a good partnership also with Meridian people that want to get to Atlanta the other way too, plus you have the campus there. Eventually, show enough demand, the airlines take notice.

I know Meridian hotels were shuttling Texas A&M fans to Tuscaloosa for a ballgame a few years ago. I'm guessing we could pull this off.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Nope, my view is totally focused on the long term for higher education for Mississippians. Yall are the ones taking the short view, mostly for athletic reasons.
Nothing changes with that just because kids come in from OOS. It means a larger school, that's all. Do you think MS kids aren't going to compete with those kids for jobs? Because they are regardless, if they're in a quality major. You act like MS kids can't compete, and that's a damn shame.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Shuttle to MEI and get a direct flight to Houston. Little farther than Ole Miss to MEM though, about 100 miles, 1:31. May could be a good partnership also with Meridian people that want to get to Atlanta the other way too, plus you have the campus there. Eventually, show enough demand, the airlines take notice.

I know Meridian hotels were shuttling Texas A&M fans to Tuscaloosa for a ballgame a few years ago. I'm guessing we could pull this off.
BHM is closer to Starkville.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
You got it, for the most part. I do think that what UM is doing is beginning to hurt in state students. If we start doing it too that would be a problem. If you can bring in more out of state students without hurting both enrollment and scholarship opportunities for in state students, then that's fine.

My suggestion for cutting schools is DOA of course. The legal fights would bankrupt the state.
FFS. I never suggested doing recruiting OOS instead of in Mississippi. Do you think it's a zero sum game? We can recruit both. We can even increase OOS and not reduce in state, and OOS PAY MORE MONRY TO ATTEND TO THE RETURN IS BETTER

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Nothing changes with that just because kids come in from OOS. It means a larger school, that's all. Do you think MS kids aren't going to compete with those kids for jobs? Because they are regardless, if they're in a quality major. You act like MS kids can't compete, and that's a damn shame.
A lot of Mississippi kids CAN'T compete with the education background they have, especially for university admissions. Get them into competent university and help them and they can compete with anyone. Thats my whole point. Thanks for bringing that up.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
FFS. I never suggested doing recruiting OOS instead of in Mississippi. Do you think it's a zero sum game? We can recruit both. We can even increase OOS and not reduce in state, and OOS PAY MORE MONRY TO ATTEND TO THE RETURN IS BETTER
To some degree it is a zero sum game. Scholarships is zero sum. The university is bursting at the seams when it comes to physical plant as well. That is getting better, but we aren't there yet. We could not handle a sudden influx. I'm all for OOS as long as they don't take things from Mississippians.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
To some degree it is a zero sum game. Scholarships is zero sum. The university is bursting at the seams when it comes to physical plant as well. That is getting better, but we aren't there yet. We could not handle a sudden influx. I'm all for OOS as long as they don't take things from Mississippians.
No It's are not....

Or better explain how?

There are more scholarships now than there were 10 years ago...

And if you have more Alumni, then you can get more money. Which means more scholarships... Which means you can build more buildings...

I was joking, but you ARE Larry Templeton....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
GTR is closer
MUCH, and we already have public transport from Starkville to there. I fly out of GTR some. Y'all also must be unaware that there are private shuttle services from the Golden Triangle that will take you to Memphis, Jackson, and Birmingham. We have used a couple of them to get to GTR when we had multiple people flying with us. We live a bit outside the Triangle.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
No It's are not....

Or better explain how?

There are more scholarships now than there were 10 years ago...

And if you have more Alumni, then you can get more money. Which means more scholarships... Which means you can build more buildings...

I was joking, but you ARE Larry Templeton....
Yes, to all that, and my points still stand. I'm a realist. You aren't going to build a bunch of new buildings on tuition money even if it is out of state money, LOL.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
MUCH, and we already have public. I fly out of GTR some. Y'all also must be unaware that there are private shuttle services from the Golden Triangle that will take you to Memphis, Jackson, and Birmingham. We have used a couple of them to get to GTR when we had multiple people flying with us. We live a bit outside the Triangle.
And it takes 6-8 hours of travel time to get to DFW or Houston flying via Atlanta.
You can drive it in the same amount of time after adding in drive to airports and preboard wait times.

FYI a 10-12 hour travel day ******* SUCKS.

I swear you guys don't travel.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yes, to all that, and my points still stand. I'm a realist. You aren't going to build a bunch of new buildings on tuition money even if it is out of state money, LOL.
LOL

You are building anything with your mindset.

It's not the extra tuition money you Larry, it's the added alumni donating money.... You know from the extra OOS students....

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Where have I argued for that? NOT ONCE. Just don't leave us Mississippians out while y'all try to make us into Ole Miss.
Hey Larry Quixote, no one has said " get OOS in place of Mississippians" except you. Because your too old to conceive that we can add OOS and instate students

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
And it takes 6-8 hours of travel time to get to DFW or Houston flying via Atlanta.
You can drive it in the same amount of time after adding in drive to airports and preboard wait times.

FYI a 10-12 hour travel day ******* SUCKS.

I swear you guys don't travel.
I travel, I've been to 16 countries and 35 states. Most of the times I have flown involved those kind of days, or worse. If you live here that's what you get.

Now my Question: If you fly from GTR to Atlanta, why exactly would you need to go to Dallas unless that is your final destination? If that's what you are talking about, and you CAN do what you said, why in the world would you fly?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Hey Larry Quixote, no one has said " get OOS in place of Mississippians" except you. Because your too old to conceive that we can add OOS and instate students
Y'all are wanting us to do what Ole Miss and Bama are doing....so I thought you actually meant what you said. Sorry.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
THIS is my whole argument: I am fine with OSS, as long as Mississippians aren't hurt or left out because of them. We are a PUBLIC university in Mississippi.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Y'all are wanting us to do what Ole Miss and Bama are doing....so I thought you actually meant what you said. Sorry.
I'm not saying replace MS kids, I'm saying you want both. And it really can't be disputed. I'm not saying a 100% acceptance rate either, because you stick kids with debt & no degree doing that. OOS tuition is higher than a giraffe's pecker. Find ways to minimize that and recruit better.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
THIS is my whole argument: I am fine with OSS, as long as Mississippians aren't hurt or left out because of them. We are a PUBLIC university in Mississippi.
you are doing a **** job of it.

Because when everyone else come up with ways to get more students, you throw a hissy fit about it taking spots away from local kids.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's not the kids. It's the parents. You know the ones paying....

So think about missing work, or taking PTO to make those flights.
How frequently are parents visiting their kids when their kids go to school far enough away to necessitate a flight, but the flight is direct?

Like a kid from Plano TX that's going to school at UGA- how often do you think parents in that scenario are driving to DFW, flying into ATL, and driving to Athens?

Even a direct flight is inconvenient from a PTO perspective.

Heck, I was friends with a ton of kids from Mississippi who never had their parents come visit...and they lived 2 hours or less from MSU.

Reactions: VegasDawg13

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If that'
you are doing a **** job of it.

Because when everyone else come up with ways to get more students, you throw a hissy fit about it taking spots away from local kids.
What y'all are doing is throwing out talking points. You are using unicorn logic about how to pay for it all too.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
How frequently are parents visiting their kids when their kids go to school far enough away to necessitate a flight, but the flight is direct?

Like a kid from Plano TX that's going to school at UGA- how often do you think parents in that scenario are driving to DFW, flying into ATL, and driving to Athens?

Even a direct flight is inconvenient from a PTO perspective.

Heck, I was friends with a ton of kids from Mississippi who never had their parents come visit...and they lived 2 hours or less from MSU.
Why in the world would a normal kid WANT their parents to come see them at college much?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You know, if kids go to school at State, some might stay in Mississippi,

Educating in Mississippi helps Mississippi.

Mississippi State: Ranked #1 in Oktibbeha County since 1878
I wanted to stay.
Looked around hard, talked a bunch with my now wife, and we finally accepted it wouldn't be in our long term best interest.

The pull was definitely there, but the path was foggy and we just couldn't see it working.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I travel, I've been to 16 countries and 35 states. Most of the times I have flown involved those kind of days, or worse. If you live here that's what you get.

Now my Question: If you fly from GTR to Atlanta, why exactly would you need to go to Dallas unless that is your final destination? If that's what you are talking about, and you CAN do what you said, why in the world would you fly?

Here is a cookie. for your travel. It's not a weekend trip to see your kid.

Because, you live in Texas? Are you ok? I mean mentally? or do you not read?

all I've talked about is "Getting kids from the west".

I've said clearly why "flying into MSU from the west sucks vs bama or Ole miss"

And "If we made flying to GTR easier, we could get more Texas students without much issue"

Meanwhile you tilted at windmills about "not letting local kids attend anymore" because we don't have scholarship money" that's delusional.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
LOL

You are building anything with your mindset.

It's not the extra tuition money you Larry, it's the added alumni donating money.... You know from the extra OOS students....
So how do we accommodate them NOW? Classes on the Drill Field? Tents in the Junction?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm not saying replace MS kids, I'm saying you want both. And it really can't be disputed. I'm not saying a 100% acceptance rate either, because you stick kids with debt & no degree doing that. OOS tuition is higher than a giraffe's pecker. Find ways to minimize that and recruit better.
And I'm not disputing that. There are a couple of guys here arguing with themselves.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login