Keenum has got to go.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I wanted to stay.
Looked around hard, talked a bunch with my now wife, and we finally accepted it wouldn't be in our long term best interest.

The pull was definitely there, but the path was foggy and we just couldn't see it working.
That is our real problem. Jobs keep people in state, going to school here does not.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Here is a cookie. for your travel. It's not a weekend trip to see your kid.

Because, you live in Texas? Are you ok? I mean mentally? or do you not read?

all I've talked about is "Getting kids from the west".

I've said clearly why "flying into MSU from the west sucks vs bama or Ole miss"

And "If we made flying to GTR easier, we could get more Texas students without much issue"

Meanwhile you tilted at windmills about "not letting local kids attend anymore" because we don't have scholarship money" that's delusional.
"WE" can't do one thing about how airlines fly into GTR. Unicorn logic.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
So how do we accommodate them NOW? Classes on the Drill Field? Tents in the Junction?
WTF, I'm not saying we let in 20,000 extra kids in the spring.

We have space for more students. (about 3,000 based on previous enrollment, not including the buildings added since then)

Reactions: jacksondawg20

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
WTF, I'm not saying we let in 20,000 extra kids in the spring.

We have space for more students. (about 3,000 based on previous enrollment, not including the buildings added since then)
We have space for more students, but I'm curious to where you get 3,000 from? With the additional dorm being built we've got some room, but things are still relatively tight in some areas that can't afford a large influx of students out of nowhere, as OM has experienced the last few years.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We have space for more students, but I'm curious to where you get 3,000 from? With the additional dorm being built we've got some room, but things are still relatively tight in some areas that can't afford a large influx of students out of nowhere, as OM has experienced the last few years.
Yep. Some of us know what we are talking about.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
We had about 1,500 more kids on campus a few years ago. Since then the a few more classroom buildings have been built.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
LOL. I take that name as a compliment by the way. He got us through some very lean times where our athletic program very well could have collapsed.
You would. Larry set our athletic department behind by decades

Reactions: patdog

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
We had about 1,500 more kids on campus a few years ago. Since then the a few more classroom buildings have been built.
Our record enrollment was in 2021, which was about 400 more than last year and we'll have close to 2021 numbers this fall, so not sure where you're getting that. But it also takes more than just classroom space to accommodate the students.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Our record enrollment was in 2021, which was about 400 more than last year and we'll have close to 2021 numbers this fall, so not sure where you're getting that. But it also takes more than just classroom space to accommodate the students.
Really? It takes more than classroom space????
Maybe we should build more dorms, and update the cafeteria, and make traffic flow better...

Too bad we are not doing any of that.

I knew I should not have put up a number.

And AGAIN, I DIDNT MEAN THIS ******* SPRING.

Nor do I want us to let in a class like Ole Miss did.

Jesus, never thought I'd like my school to be better and bigger would be a 6 page ******* argument...

Best university in eastern Oktibbeha county since 1878

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Maybe we should build more dorms, and update the cafeteria, and make traffic flow better...

Jesus, never thought I'd like my school to be better and bigger would be a 6 page ******* argument...

"Dammit! I knew I shouldn't have pulled a random number out of my ***... but it was so itchy!"

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
It was the only one you mentioned.
I didnt know you wanted an exhaustive list of ways a univesity can create jobs, Larry

Policymakers are increasingly viewing colleges and universities as important engines of growth for their local areas. In addition to having direct economic impacts, these institutions help to raise the skills of an area’s workforce (its local “human capital”), and they do this in two ways. First, by educating potential workers, they increase the supply of human capital in a region. Perhaps less obviously, these schools can also raise a region’s demand for human capital by helping local businesses create jobs for skilled workers. In this post, we draw on our recent academic research and Current Issues article to outline these pathways and how they might inform local economic development policy. (We also discuss our findings in a new video.)

Colleges and universities are assets to their regional economies, especially because they spend money in their local areas and employ local workers. The higher-education sector also tends to contribute stability to a region since it’s less susceptible to downturns than other sectors of the economy. Indeed, the education sector expanded before, during, and after the Great Recession.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
And they were jammed to the rafters for classroom space. We probably have built up enough to accommodate some of that again.
You would. Larry set our athletic department behind by decades
No, it was already that far behind when he got there, worse than that actually. He kept it from slipping farther. When he was let go it was time though.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He is making it up.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
"Dammit! I knew I shouldn't have pulled a random number out of my ***... but it was so itchy!"
It was not random, but it was an old number.

I was at a speech by Keenum 10-15 years ago that MSU capacity was ~25,0000 without adding buildings and new dorms. We have built/are building that . found it the number was 26,600

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Someone correct me here but we are building a new dorm that will have a cafeteria which would be our third. We have gutted Perry and are totally renovating it.

Reactions: ChE1997

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

So how are you going to accommodate them when we do take them in. You either do it by making heavy capital investment now to enlarge all aspects of the university, or you limit enrollment and cut the number of in state kids you take. Or, you do both to a lesser degree. That's your choices. We all share you goals, but you are using unicorn thinking. Great goals, no specifics on how to get there. Now if you have looked around campus lately we are making some pretty big investments in infrastructure, and doing it under Mark Keenum. That is the only realistic first step. This thread's premise was bogus from the OP.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
And they were jammed to the rafters for classroom space. We probably have built up enough to accommodate some of that again.

No, it was already that far behind when he got there, worse than that actually. He kept it from slipping farther. When he was let go it was time though.

maybe we should build a new animal science building, and another engineering building? maybe one for kinesiology?

How did Larry "advance the MSU athletics?" or even keep us from slipping?

Professional Accomplishments​

Athletic Director, Mississippi State, Starkville, MS, 1987 to 2007

• Third longest tenured athletic director in school history
      • Longest tenured SEC athletic director at time of retirement
      • Hired Sylvester Croom as first African-American head football coach in SEC in 2003
      • Added women’s soccer (1995) and softball (1997) as varsity sports
      • Athletic department finished in the black in every year of his tenure

He had ONE good coaching hire.

Polk was there, and he lazily hired him back, He didn't hire Williams, Or Jackie.
Zach hired Jackie.
Williams was there.
He did promote Stansbury

He let Jackie coach at least 1 year too long.

Last edited:

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020

I'd make the argument that traffic flow is getting worse, but that's my personal experience driving in it every day.
Enrollment under Keenum has increased pretty dramatically across the board, so not sure what else you're expecting. We're targeting students we've not had before in healthcare and other new programs to help increase it even more before the upcoming cliff hits. Doing all the things you mentioned sets us up for long-term success beyond that, too.
I'd also like to see us doing a better job on the students that we already have on campus, since we know they're already here.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I didnt know you wanted an exhaustive list of ways a univesity can create jobs, Larry

We were discussing jobs to entice grads to stay in Mississippi. It's gonna have to be more than direct and indirect employment due to all of our universities.
I'd make the argument that traffic flow is getting worse, but that's my personal experience driving in it every day.
Enrollment under Keenum has increased pretty dramatically across the board, so not sure what else you're expecting. We're targeting students we've not had before in healthcare and other new programs to help increase it even more before the upcoming cliff hits. Doing all the things you mentioned sets us up for long-term success beyond that, too.
I'd also like to see us doing a better job on the students that we already have on campus, since we know they're already here.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Jesus H man LOL
Now we know why you have no damn vision
I hated the man. He treated me like
Crap, personally. That being said he did a good job here overall for a long time. It was time for him to go when he did. We had more money coming in and he had operated on a shoestring for so long, it just wasn't in him to really move beyond that.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The traffic flow is by design. They are headed toward a pedestrian only central campus. It's getting pretty close. The other stuff is spot on. We are already doing what they want, just not how or as fast as they want it. Most of this crap here is because football sucks anyway.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
maybe we should build a new animal science building, and another engineering building? maybe one for kinesiology?

How did Larry "advance the MSU athletics?" or even keep us from slipping?

He had ONE good coaching hire.

Polk was there, and he lazily hired him back, He did hire Williams, Or Jackie.
Zach hired Jackie.
Williams was there.
He did promote Stansbury

He let Jackie coach at least 1 year too long.
Lol, the hire that he made that pulled us out of the dark ages, you won't give him credit for. That explains the rest of what you have posted. It's been fun!!!

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
So how are you going to accommodate them when we do take them in. You either do it by making heavy capital investment now to enlarge all aspects of the university, or you limit enrollment and cut the number of in state kids you take. Or, you do both to a lesser degree. That's your choices. We all share you goals, but you are using unicorn thinking. Great goals, no specifics on how to get there. Now if you have looked around campus lately we are making some pretty big investments in infrastructure, and doing it under Mark Keenum. That is the only realistic first step. This thread's premise was bogus from the OP.

Why are you "cut the number of in state kids you take"? Who other than you has said that? Why not limit the out of state kids if you hit capacity, but still plan on growing the university?

You continue to make a capital investment to allow more students. maybe we can call it "Mississippi State Capital Improvement plan" I'd have released something like that in august 2022 to update a plan i'd have made in 2011... https://www.opdca.msstate.edu/files/20220912_MSU-MP-Update_Report_CapitalProjectsUpdate.pdf

Oh and also

The Campus Plan is based on a projected increase in headcount (sum of all Full Time and Part Time Students) from 22,986 (Starkville, Fall 2020) to approximately 26,600 students on the main campus
yeah adding 3,000 students to our 22,000 current students was Completely "Pulled out of my itchy ***"
Create an enrollment strategy/plan based on healthy growth and improved retention. Expand the national recruiting footprint.

Last edited:

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
The 2011 plan had central campus closed to cars, and more walkable. I think that's taking longer than expected, and is not a popular change.

I like enrollment increasing, and do not mean to imply we should not be caring for our students on campus now.

I do see an opportunity to grow, even with a decline in the mississippi population.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
We were discussing jobs to entice grads to stay in Mississippi. It's gonna have to be more than direct and indirect employment due to all of our universities.
These institutions also play an important role in their local economies by helping regions build their skilled workforces. This contribution is significant because regions with higher levels of human capital—measured by the share of the working-age population with at least a bachelor’s degree—tend to be more innovative, have greater amounts of economic activity, and enjoy faster economic growth, and workers in these regions tend to be more productive and earn higher wages.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Lol, the hire that he made that pulled us out of the dark ages, you won't give him credit for. That explains the rest of what you have posted. It's been fun!!!

I was told in 1991, that Larry wanted Bobby Wallace, and Zach overruled him.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Nope, my view is totally focused on the long term for higher education for Mississippians. Yall are the ones taking the short view, mostly for athletic reasons.

Dude.

We ain’t talking about your alma mater Shangri-La Attendance Center where two-thirds of the boys and girls played sports.

Believe it or not, Mississippi State University has thousands of students…

Seth Meyers Wow GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

More students than you can comprehend…

Now if all of those thousands of students played sports, Mississippi State’s athletics budget would be way too high and in the red.

And while you got by because the teachers at Shangri-La were above average and gamed the state’s standardized tests….

…You’re still a dubmass.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Where we get our teeth kicked in is the OOS students. Keenum can't figure out we can't just be a MS college. OOS tuition issues kill us!
It’s a noble idea, but you’re right. The Rebs have sold out to be anything BUT a place for the average MS student.

My son said last night he wants to go to State. He’s got a 4.5 GPA and we’re working on the test scores. Problem is, we live in TX so he’s gonna have to get those test scores up way high to even make sense. OOS tuition is extravagant. Other schools like rebville and the hogs waive it for a lot of students. I’m not sure he’ll get offered a cup of coffee from Keenum.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login