OT: Anna Wolfe Going to Jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Anna exposed the welfare mess allegedly involving Brett Favre, Phil Bryant and others. She is now threatened with jail if she doesn't turn over internal documents and her sources. This was all requested as a result of Bryant's defamation suit against Mississippi Today.

I hope she sticks to her guns and tells them to kick rocks and pound sand.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Judge wants the sources apparently.
Even redacted would probably be fairly easy to figure out who the sources are. It will be a very bad look for Mississippi if they send reporters to jail over this. Which of course means we'll absolutely do it. However, Anna's boss should have kept her damn mouth shut instead of publicly accusing Phil Bryant of knowingly being involved in this if she wasn’t prepared to back it up.

Last edited:

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
Anna exposed the welfare mess allegedly involving Brett Favre, Phil Bryant and others. She is now threatened with jail if she doesn't turn over internal documents and her sources. This was all requested as a result of Bryant's defamation suit against Mississippi Today.

I hope she sticks to her guns and tells them to kick rocks and pound sand.
This is why we need a free press!

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
It has plenty of **** already. The good people are leaving and have been for a while.

So can’t say I really agree with your tactics there.
Not really. Just like everything else; it is what you make it. I love it here; wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Mississippi is one of the cheapest states to live; take advantage of it.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not really. Just like everything else; it is what you make it. I love it here; wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Mississippi is one of the cheapest states to live; take advantage of it.
Fair enough.

But the problem is, long term, if we want MSU to succeed, then we need MS to grow and prosper a little more. But if you don’t care about that, then the other option is, we get rid of a lot of the **** that we have already. Because eventually all the good people will be gone.

I personally think you can do both (grow and keep things cheap) - and that’s by having a successful Jackson Metro. Most of the population growth will be in suburban neighborhoods and in downtown, so you QOL likely won’t be impacted.

Last edited:

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010

Even redacted would probably be fairly easy to figure out who the sources are. It will be a very bad look for Mississippi if they send reporters to jail over this. Which of course means we'll absolutely do it. However, Anna's boss should have kept her damn mouth shut instead of publicly accusing Phil Bryant of knowingly being involved in this if she wasn’t prepared to back it up.

Sources could be those who cooperated for lesser pleas…. And you’re 100% correct on Anna’s boss. This suit is on her. Per the article, Phil didn’t sue until this and was past the statute of limitations on the article. The boss went from being a journalist to an activist with a pen and got everyone jammed up. The old saying, loose lips sink ships.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Fair enough.

But the problem is, long term, if we want MSU to succeed, then we need MS to grow and prosper a little more. But if you don’t care about that, then the other option is, we get rid of a lot of the **** that we have already. Because eventually all the good people will be gone.

I personally think you can do both (grow and keep things cheap) - and that’s by having a successful Jackson Metro. Most of the population growth will be in suburban neighborhoods and in downtown, so you QOL likely won’t be impacted.
If we want MS to succeed, then we need the rural areas to succeed. You do that, and we maintain the best qualities of our state. They need to be like they used to be, not dens of methheads. For that, they need good jobs adjacent to the rural areas, not focused on a handful of cities. Not sure how best to do that, I am curious on the effects of Nissan on the rural areas north of it.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Typical good ole boys of Mississippi. Got caught so now they won't to destroy anyone involved

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It has plenty of **** already. The good people are leaving and have been for a while.

So can’t say I really agree with your tactics there.
Yeah I think I said this a few threads ago when talking about ms but ms will never change because the people in charge don't want it to and most of the people don't either. MS will always be stuck in the past being ran by the same people that keep it like it is.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If we want MS to succeed, then we need the rural areas to succeed. You do that, and we maintain the best qualities of our state. They need to be like they used to be, not dens of methheads. For that, they need good jobs adjacent to the rural areas, not focused on a handful of cities. Not sure how best to do that, I am curious on the effects of Nissan on the rural areas north of it.
Isn’t that just fighting against the tide? I think reality has proven that many people simply don’t want to live in rural areas. I like the idea of thinking against the grain, but there is a baseline reality that cannot be ignored. The trend toward urban centers survived even COVID, so it’s not going anywhere.

Even most of the 100% remote workers choose to be on the outskirts of an urban area. There just aren’t enough people out there that want to live the small town life anymore. I don’t really know that they ever did, but farming was the way to make a living, so people had to do it.

ETA: Nissan is in the Jackson Metro area. So let’s not split hairs here. Nissan, Continental and Amazon are all great, strategic plays for MS since they are all in the Metro.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I generally don't agree with you, but on this I do. MS sells low cost labor, and that's all it will ever be as long as that's our selling point. Without investment in the smaller towns/cities, we're simply breeding poor education, health care, crime, and little growth. Most small towns/cities are a 20-30 min drive to a larger locale. That's less than an average drive across a city to work.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Small towns in Mississippi aren't coming back in mass without a resurgence in local agriculture, which I see no path for now.
A lot of Mississippi small towns had one or two small factories manufacturing whatever back in the day. When all of those went to Mexico or overseas the towns started drying up. The only thing left in rural Mississippi is essentially ag workers and the businesses that support farming and that honestly doesn’t take a lot.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I generally don't agree with you, but on this I do. MS sells low cost labor, and that's all it will ever be as long as that's our selling point. Without investment in the smaller towns/cities, we're simply breeding poor education, health care, crime, and little growth. Most small towns/cities are a 20-30 min drive to a larger locale. That's less than an average drive across a city to work.
So even if this was the correct play, you’d still need to strategically choose a bunch of these “larger locales” to invest in. That eventually all leads back to an urban center, and it’s already been done, thus our current situation.

The fact that we still try and invest in every small town is why we’re so behind.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Even most of the 100% remote workers choose to be on the outskirts of an urban area. There just aren’t enough people out there that want to live the small town life anymore. I don’t really know that they ever did, but farming was the way to make a living, so people had to do it.

ETA: Nissan is in the Jackson Metro area. So let’s not split hairs here. Nissan, Continental and Amazon are all great, strategic plays for MS since they are all in the Metro.
Not just that, remote workers want easy access to a real airport. JAN is terrible for remote work. There's maybe 6 or 7 direct destinations, all to southern states where the cost of living/culture are similar enough to Mississippi that there's no draw to move to the Jackson area(especially with the state of Jackson's schools, crime, and well everything.)

For remote workers, Memphis/North Mississippi is much more attractive. Direct flights to NY, LA, Chicago, Denver, and 20+ other places. Remote workers want direct flights.

I will always contend to fix Mississippi, you need a serious influx of white or even gray collar jobs. Bringing a bunch of car or tire factories that have good paying blue collar jobs is fine and all, but if you want your college graduates to stay in state they need upward mobility in their fields.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sources could be those who cooperated for lesser pleas…. And you’re 100% correct on Anna’s boss. This suit is on her. Per the article, Phil didn’t sue until this and was past the statute of limitations on the article. The boss went from being a journalist to an activist with a pen and got everyone jammed up. The old saying, loose lips sink ships.
Like someone said earlier, I’m anxiously waiting for their expose on what’s been going on in City of Jackson government for decades. They’re all over this story, and it’s great that they are. But they turn a blind eye if it’s a Democrat. 17 them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not just that, remote workers want easy access to a real airport. JAN is terrible for remote work. There's maybe 6 or 7 direct destinations, all to southern states where the cost of living/culture are similar enough to Mississippi that there's no draw to move to the Jackson area(especially with the state of Jackson's schools, crime, and well everything.)

For remote workers, Memphis/North Mississippi is much more attractive. Direct flights to NY, LA, Chicago, Denver, and 20+ other places. Remote workers want direct flights.

I will always contend to fix Mississippi, you need a serious influx of white or even gray collar jobs. Bringing a bunch of car or tire factories that have good paying blue collar jobs is fine and all, but if you want your college graduates to stay in state they need upward mobility in their fields.
Agree - and the only place that can happen is Jackson. And if that does happen, the airport gets better flights. Then it comes a better option for all, and on and on, etc.

I think it breaks down like this:

- No investment in Memphis Metro, it will take care of itself, like you say, already a destination. Good thing to have in a corner of the state;
- Minimal investment in the Coast, for much the same reasons as Memphis, it can stand on its own but can’t be a driver.
- Heavy investment in Jackson, for all the reasons stated;
- Secondary investment in a select few chosen areas: I’d choose Tupelo, GTR, Hattiesburg/Laurel.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Like someone said earlier, I’m anxiously waiting for their expose on what’s been going on in City of Jackson government for decades. They’re all over this story, and it’s great that they are. But they turn a blind eye if it’s a Democrat. 17 them.
Most all journalists are Democrats…journalism is an easy major for those who don’t want to go into education, sociology or political science.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don’t see a path for rural viability short of remote workers deciding to find a place less hectic than a city. Even the it would likely be a handful of the more “attractive” smaller cities that capture that market. Sadly, much of rural MS is on an accelerated downward trend.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
A lot of Mississippi small towns had one or two small factories manufacturing whatever back in the day. When all of those went to Mexico or overseas the towns started drying up. The only thing left in rural Mississippi is essentially ag workers and the businesses that support farming and that honestly doesn’t take a lot.

Very true. Basically anything that can be made and shipped cheaper elsewhere will be. It's capitalism at is finest I guess, but it sure makes for some sad sights of what was in rural areas.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Somewhere close to 20% of the population in the U.S. is rural. Around 97% of the land is rural. Guess where growth has to occur if businesses require land. People will move for jobs, so it doesn't really matter much where it's at. But a job in Jackson isn't going to move people to Jackson. They'll live outside the city and drive that 30 mins.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
So even if this was the correct play, you’d still need to strategically choose a bunch of these “larger locales” to invest in. That eventually all leads back to an urban center, and it’s already been done, thus our current situation.

The fact that we still try and invest in every small town is why we’re so behind.
Nobody is investing in small towns. If you believe that, you've already lost the argument. The federal government does so much to push population to centralized areas it's crazy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nobody is investing in small towns. If you believe that, you've already lost the argument. The federal government does so much to push population to centralized areas it's crazy.
No, that’s just what happens naturally (the move to urban areas).

As far as MS, nobody in the state is on the same page, so the economic development ‘wins’ are spread thin as a result. We have done a better job of this lately in the past 5 years, but we’ve got a big hole to dig out of. I’m talking about statewide efforts here, of our leadership, legislators, etc. We have no strategy, just folks looking out for their own hometowns. Joe Max talks about this all the time.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Very true. Basically anything that can be made and shipped cheaper elsewhere will be. It's capitalism at is finest I guess, but it sure makes for some sad sights of what was in rural areas.
And it’s not just a Mississippi problem. It’s happening all across rural America. There’s just nothing there for people or jobs or opportunity to keep them there, especially young people and families.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Somewhere close to 20% of the population in the U.S. is rural. Around 97% of the land is rural. Guess where growth has to occur if businesses require land. People will move for jobs, so it doesn't really matter much where it's at. But a job in Jackson isn't going to move people to Jackson. They'll live outside the city and drive that 30 mins.
It’ll drive people to the Metro, and ultimately create wealth, which will create investments in Jackson.

It’s really amazing how clueless you are on this phenomena that’s been happening for 30 years. But honestly, most people do not understand the big picture.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It’ll drive people to the Metro, and ultimately create wealth, which will create investments in Jackson.

It’s really amazing how clueless you are on this phenomena that’s been happening for 30 years. But honestly, most people do not understand the big picture.
If Elon Musk sent all of his money and technology to Jackson, 10 years later it would be in the same shape it is now.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If Elon Musk sent all of his money and technology to Jackson, 10 years later it would be in the same shape it is now.
Unfortunately many Mississippians share your viewpoint, thus, things slowly continue to deteriorate.

All of you that are fat and happy in your perfect little enclaves of MS will wake up one day and be shocked that we have elected a governor that you, uh, don’t necessarily ‘agree with’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login