OT: Shopping in the convenience store…while parked at the gas pumps

cmentheadcra k

Sep 23, 2021
Bro, try doing that at the local WAWA driving a huge truck with a Chevy Metro parked at one of four diesel pumps. I get pissed off
Blocking the Diesel pumps is a big middle finger There's a reason why they are on the side.

Overall, Sheetz, Wawa, Quick Fill, Bucees are all designed for leaving your car at the pump while you shop. People are lazy and they know it.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Problem with Americans is entitlement. Wait your turn like everyone else. Would help a ton with traffic, but individual stupidity reigns over the common good.
Better yet if I pull up to a pump and I run my card and it replies "see attendant", I'm off to the next gas station down the road.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021
I know 99% of the general public are self-centered and try to be pro-active in avoiding the idiots. When my gas tank is less than half full, I watch for opportunity to pull into a gas station where gas pumps are easily available…sometimes it takes days before I get gas. Road trips, kinda hard to avoid the idiots…

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Parking at the pump is fine IMO if there isn't anyone waiting and you are only grabbing a drink or snack or something. Who is in that much of a hurry that they can't sit in their car for a couple of minutes while someone gets out to get something? If you're gonna go in and get a bunch of things, you should re-park.
That, almost certainly, would be me.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
It is very common, when pulling into our local Sheetz, to have trouble finding an available pump… I am fine with waiting my turn while others are actually pumping gas…or cleaning their windshield… but it infuriates me that so many people inconsiderately leave their car at the pump while they are inside for several minutes, finally emerging with a bag full of sandwiches, snack foods, or whatever… I will, and believe everyone should, always move the car to a parking space to enter the store….

…recently, to add insult to injury, the screen on the pump says “Lock your car when unattended.”… seemingly condoning this practice!

I am interested to see the thoughts of others.
Post-Covid, people have become (a) self-entitled / disrespectful, and (b) oblivious to those around them. Add in the distraction of an ever-important cell phone and things get interesting.

A few weeks ago I was shopping at a recently remodeled neighborhood grocery store. The aisles are a bit narrower than before, but not by much.

I wheeled my mini-basket down an aisle in search of canned pineapple. Halfway down the aisle, but before the pineapple, I encountered a plump younger male attired in yoga pants chatting away on his phone. His cart was in the middle of the aisle and he was standing back in the aisle (my side) trying to eye whatever he was searching for. He kept chatting away on his phone oblivious to me or anyone else in the aisle.

I waited a few seconds and then said “ahem”. He didn’t hear me or didn’t care so I proceeded to ram my way through the aisle moving his cart in the process.

He suddenly became outraged at what I did. He said “Excuse You, Arsehole”. I kept moving my cart down the aisle until he picked something out of his cart and threw it at me.

I turned my cart around and headed back up the aisle towards him.

Last edited:

psu1

May 10, 2022
It is very common, when pulling into our local Sheetz, to have trouble finding an available pump… I am fine with waiting my turn while others are actually pumping gas…or cleaning their windshield… but it infuriates me that so many people inconsiderately leave their car at the pump while they are inside for several minutes, finally emerging with a bag full of sandwiches, snack foods, or whatever… I will, and believe everyone should, always move the car to a parking space to enter the store….

…recently, to add insult to injury, the screen on the pump says “Lock your car when unattended.”… seemingly condoning this practice!

takes everything i have not to go off them

Reactions: BriantheLion

psu1

May 10, 2022

I am interested to see the thoughts of othe

YEAH....JUST MOVE THE FLIPPING VEHICLE. I DONT CARE HOW MANY PUMPS THERE ARE. DOES ONE FEEL LIKE THEY ARE SOME BIG DEAL, HEY I CAN LEAVE THE VEHICLE HERE F EVERYONE ELSE

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Post-Covid, people have become (a) self-entitled / disrespectful, and (b) oblivious to those around them. Add in the distraction of an ever-important cell phone and things get interesting.

A few weeks ago I was shopping at a recently remodeled neighborhood grocery store. The aisles are a bit narrower than before, but not by much.

I wheeled my mini-basket down an aisle in search of canned pineapple. Halfway down the aisle, but before the pineapple, I encountered a plump younger male attired in yoga pants chatting away on his phone. His cart was in the middle of the aisle and he was standing back in the aisle (my side) trying to eye whatever he was searching for. He kept chatting away on his phone oblivious to me or anyone else in the aisle.

I waited a few seconds and then said “ahem”. He didn’t hear me or didn’t care so I proceeded to ram my way through the aisle moving his cart in the process.

He suddenly became outraged at what I did. He said “Excuse You, Arsehole”. I kept moving my cart down the aisle until he picked something out of his cart and threw it at me.

bored waiting GIF

And the rest of the story?……..

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
Bro, try doing that at the local WAWA driving a huge truck with a Chevy Metro parked at one of four diesel pumps. I get pissed off

When I had my Cummins, this made me want to push cars out of the way. gas station has 9 gas only pumps, and 1 dual gas/diesel pump. the 9 pumps are empty and some clown pulls to the only diesel pump, gets their gas, then proceeds to go inside and shop for 10 minutes. i can't even begin to explain how infuriated this made me

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021
People driving electric vehicles don’t have this problem, they are accustomed to waiting. The car sitting in front of them takes 1/2 hour plus to charge up, owner has plenty of time to buy their super-size slurpee…

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
People driving electric vehicles don’t have this problem, they are accustomed to waiting. The car sitting in front of them takes 1/2 hour plus to charge up, owner has plenty of time to buy their super-size slurpee…
more like 3-4 hours at some. That was our experience in Italy....

Reactions: Bison13

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Not at all, after he's threatening to shoot me dead ... or have his mommy do it for him because he's off driving his hot wheel to a punk rock concert with the other 16 year olds, getting drunk and high and being totally cool and rebellious.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I agree. I judge how busy the pumps are before I make my decision. If it looks like even one person would have an issue finding a pump while I go into the store then I move my car. If it's pretty dead I'll leave my car at the pump to head inside. But I agree, ideally everyone would move their car after pumping.

The only issue here is that there are times I go to Sheetz (I always stop at the Sheetz in Clark's Ferry when heading to State College from Harrisburg) and it's often so busy at that Sheetz that there are actually no spots to park whether I'm talking at a pump or the store. So, if I pump my gas and there are literally no spots to move my vehicle to then I will leave it at the pump to go into the store because I have nowhere else to park my vehicle.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Not at all, after he's threatening to shoot me dead ... or have his mommy do it for him because he's off driving his hot wheel to a punk rock concert with the other 16 year olds, getting drunk and high and being totally cool and rebellious.
guess I missed that convo. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Bison13 and PSUJam

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
people have become (a) self-entitled / disrespectful, and (b) oblivious to those around them. Add in the distraction of an ever-important cell phone and things get interesting.

I kept moving my cart down the aisle until he picked something out of his cart and threw it at me.

I don't know man, this isn't the flattering story I think you think it is. What I got out of your story is that there were two people being disrespectful in the supermarket.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

Why wouldn't you have just said "Excuse me!" like a normal, civilized person? Even though the other person was obviously self-absorbed and not being conscientious, a normal person would not meet that with "ahem," and then a ramming ... it would be "excuse me" ... then you say it again, LOUDLY ... and if he doesn't respond, then you speak to him directly, with "hey, buddy, I'm trying to get through and you're in my way." If that doesn't work, you move his cart (not ram it ... it's not his property) and go through. Seems like, post-covid, you have some stuff to work on.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Does anyone actually pay for their gas INSIDE anymore?

I didn't know that was still a thing.

If it is, then obviously there are times when the person can't move their car to a parking spot before going in, or they'd risk looking like they were taking off without paying. At that point, you need to give them a couple minutes of time to get out of there before getting pissed off ... pissed off at them ... you can still be pissed off at the situation. After that, those folks need to get a move on. You don't dilly or dally inside the store when you're parked at the pump.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

If it is, then obviously there are times when the person can't move their car to a parking spot before going in, or they'd risk looking like they were taking off without paying. At that point, you need to give them a couple minutes of time to get out of there before getting pissed off ... pissed off at them ... you can still be pissed off at the situation. After that, those folks need to get a move on. You don't dilly or dally inside the store when you're parked at the pump.
I'll be pissed off when, where and why thank you very much. I don't need to be preached at by Father Moogy.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I don't know man, this isn't the flattering story I think you think it is. What I got out of your story is that there were two people being disrespectful in the supermarket.
+1. That was my take as well. It's happened to me a lot at the supermarket and I just go down a different aisle and come back later. It's just not worth the aggravation. 🤷‍♂️

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
When did I say I’d shoot you dead? I’d never say that, unless you broke into my house

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Meal team 6 in Delaware is best to ignore. I imagine that dork in fatigues on watch at his house waiting for that "intruder" to finally come. Living in the south I've meant plenty like that...just nod and move on.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021

Threaten Episode 2 GIF by BBC Three

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Meal team 6 in Delaware is best to ignore. I imagine that dork in fatigues on watch at his house waiting for that "intruder" to finally come. Living in the south I've meant plenty like that...just nod and move on.

He's too much fun to play with. The poor dummy.

• Haha
Reactions: LaJollaCreek

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
If you mean the rick, you think I’m a dork? Lol

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
+1. That was my take as well. It's happened to me a lot at the supermarket and I just go down a different aisle and come back later. It's just not worth the aggravation. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I reflexively go around via an adjacent aisle…it’s hard to not escalate these situations…safer to just complain!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

My wife does. Nine cents per gallon cheaper.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login