OT: Shopping in the convenience store…while parked at the gas pumps

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
The biggest dick move I have happen to me was at a WAWA when I waited behind some guy for the pump - he finished then walked into the WAWA to but a bunch of stuff - what an a-hole. Had to back up and go to another pump - I wish I had a bag of sugar to sweeten his gas tank on me.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Problem with Americans is entitlement. Wait your turn like everyone else. Would help a ton with traffic, but individual stupidity reigns over the common good.
exactly- you don't see this kind of thing in Canada- their % of a-holes is much lower

Last edited:
Reactions: ODShowtime

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
The biggest dick move I have happen to me was at a WAWA when I waited behind some guy for the pump - he finished then walked into the WAWA to but a bunch of stuff - what an a-hole. Had to back up and go to another pump - I wish I had a bag of sugar to sweeten his gas tank on me.
carry a tire valve tool- it only takes a second to remove the valve internals and throw them away

Reactions: Bison13

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
exactly- you don't see this kind of thing in Canada- their % of a-holes is much lower
Well on the Calgary/Canmore side they are nicer .the French Canadians on the other hand not so much. Even the Canmore natives warned us about them 🤣

Reactions: Psu00 and Bison13

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
When we drove out West last summer, we stopped at the new Buc-ee's in Sevierville, TN. It was PACKED! Dropped off the fam and proceeded to the pumps. Ran into exactly what you described. Literally sat behind a vehicle for 20 minutes, only to see the driver come back to his vehicle carrying several bags of stuff.

Am sure convenience stores don't want to police their pumps, but obviously Joe and Jane Sixpack don't give a crap about others. And am also sure if you confronted the a-hole, YOU would be the bad guy.

Maybe this is a job for environmentalists: Monitor gas pumps to keep traffic flowing at them. I can't imagine most of us shut off our cars while waiting for a pump to open - more bad emissions being pumped into the environment by something that is totally preventable.
I was waiting as well.

1717619123279.png

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
It is very common, when pulling into our local Sheetz, to have trouble finding an available pump… I am fine with waiting my turn while others are actually pumping gas…or cleaning their windshield… but it infuriates me that so many people inconsiderately leave their car at the pump while they are inside for several minutes, finally emerging with a bag full of sandwiches, snack foods, or whatever… I will, and believe everyone should, always move the car to a parking space to enter the store….

…recently, to add insult to injury, the screen on the pump says “Lock your car when unattended.”… seemingly condoning this practice!

I am interested to see the thoughts of others.
Doing it at sheetz no way you should leave it there but when at Wawa I can’t run in fast enough to get me some meatball subs.

Reactions: BriantheLion

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
We're driving from North Carolina to Montana in a few weeks. Plan is to get north as fast as possible, to avoid Tornado Alley. Crazy weather.
Thing is, tornado alley isn't near the greater Bethesda MD area. My daughter played a tournament on these fields a couple of years ago. I believe that's @LionJim vicinity. Hope he's good.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
You good, LJ?

Thank you, yes. It petered out a mile or so west of us. We were prepared to go down to the basement but we didn’t get any real high winds, just some torrential rain for like 90 seconds. Two tornados, actually, the one that Jam provided the video of, this near Poolesville, and another that hit Gaithersburg, two or so miles away, messed up a neighborhood pretty badly. No serious injuries but they must have been terrified. I got caught in a storm in Hilton Head once, in a tent, and was absolutely petrified.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I forget when this happened, probably 1990 or so, when a tornado hit UMd. Two sisters in their car got sucked up the funnel, wow, bad way to go, may God rest their souls. It’s not tornado alley but you don’t forget when it happens.

• Sad
Reactions: Psu00 and BobPSU92

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
Same thing at the liquor store. Park in the fire lane, because you're too lazy to walk 25 yards.
Was once having lunch at a Panera Bread in West End Allentown. Somebody in the next store over….a jewelry store or something….has a medical emergency. Every first responder in the city arrives. Too bad for the dude, but I took great joy in sitting at a front table eating my fancy sandwich while watching the police ticket all of the idiots parked in the fire lane while they ran in to pick up their orders.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Hey, Apex, we're getting a Buc-ee's in Mebane one of these days. I was hoping they'd build it a little closer to me, to capture the factory/population growth in Liberty. But Mebane is less than an hour's drive for me . . .
The excitement here is palpable. I'm shaking my head as locals hail a Buc-ee's like they would a new manufacturing plant. The world is so different than my youth at times.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The excitement here is palpable. I'm shaking my head as locals hail a Buc-ee's like they would a new manufacturing plant. The world is so different than my youth at times.

I lived in Michigan when the first IKEA opened in the area (around 2006). It was a big controversy, as locals were concerned about the traffic that it would bring to the area. Of course, all of the attention only brought more people there when it opened. For the first two months, they had cops directing traffic at the nearby intersection. It was a mess.

Reactions: JohnJumba

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022

Randolph County is about to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. There is the Toyota battery plant in Liberty and a new Ross Stores distribution center coming to Randleman. The Ross center will generate about 850 new jobs - would-be employees will be flocking to that area.

So Buc-ee's in Mebane will probably be overwhelmed, positioned as it will be between the Triad and the Triangle.

Crazy times.

Ernst

Nov 13, 2021
I work for a large supplier to Sheetz. They are my account. They make between a 75% to 80& margin on the foodservice items. Their margin on gas is between 10% to 15%. They encourage people to come in store and leave their cars at the pump.

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
I work for a large supplier to Sheetz. They are my account. They make between a 75% to 80& margin on the foodservice items. Their margin on gas is between 10% to 15%. They encourage people to come in store and leave their cars at the pump.
Well, I guess that explains their stance on this…I wonder what margin they make on their CBD products…that is the main advertisement while the gas is flowing!

• Haha
Reactions: PSUJam

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I dislike when people do that. I've found I usually have to use the restroom so I park close to the door and after the pit stop and buying a drink or whatever inside, I then move my car to the pumps, gas up my car and off I go.

You buy the gas AFTER you go inside and buy other things?

WTF

(not a big deal at all, but a bizarre thought to me for some reason)

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

WTF

Isn’t the idea that you stalk the pumps, find the a$$hole who starts pumping gas and heads in to buy food, park right next to his car, and move the active gas pump over to your car?

o_O

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Makes sense. I had a coworker who owned a gas station back when pay at the pump was just starting (yes, I'm that old :cool:)

His business dropped by about 25% at the time. Even people that were just going to get gas made impulse purchases...bag of chips, soda. Pay at the pump stopped that.

The stores would always rather you come in the store.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018

WTF

Yes, because I usually have to hit the restroom right away and that's THE priority so I park close to the store away from the pumps. Then I buy a drink or sub and eat it in there sometimes and then move my car to the pumps, fill up and pay at the pump and drive away.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I stopped at Wawa yesterday in va. Was thinking about this thread. So I looked around for parking spots as I was filling up. The entire front and part of side of Wawa was all handicap or crossed off. I said I have to get going as my girls were inside ordering the meatball subs. So I kept it at the pump. Ran inside to the restroom and back out. Usually give 5-10 min max for stops depending on if getting gas for road-trips. So maybe 3 min inside after pumping. No one was waiting for my spot.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I stopped at Wawa yesterday in va. Was thinking about this thread. So I looked around for parking spots as I was filling up. The entire front and part of side of Wawa was all handicap or crossed off. I said I have to get going as my girls were inside ordering the meatball subs. So I kept it at the pump. Ran inside to the restroom and back out. Usually give 5-10 min max for stops depending on if getting gas for road-trips. So maybe 3 min inside after pumping. No one was waiting for my spot.

You might have kicked off the next rant. The sometimes excessive number of handicapped parking spaces at some places now and those that park in them without actually being disabled. ;)

• Angry
Reactions: bdgan and BobPSU92

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
LOL, that and curbside pick up spots.
As long as there’s more than one of those spots, I generally park in them if I’m going inside to get something to eat or drink. If somebody is really paying a DoorDash driver to go pick up food from a gas station then they are already making bad decisions so they can wait the five extra minutes for my spot to open up.

CaseStudy

Oct 5, 2022
Yep. Last January coming back from the keys there was a huge back up for fuel at one of the isolated rest stops on the Florida turnpike south of Orlando. After waiting a while to get up to the pumps I waited another 10 minutes or so behind a van and another rig and watched a very large family come out of the store and mom and dad fuss with the kids a few minutes more before the dad bothered to even start pumping. I just stood outside leaning on my front bumper watching in amazement. Then to my bewilderment while I was still waiting, the dope behind me pulls up in front of me and double parks presumably to move into one of the two stalls in front of me. I guess he didn't see me standing in front of my rig, but I thought I might get shot as I walked up to his car and tapped on his window to let him know he was cutting me off. Jackassery snowballs into more jackassery,

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
It is very common, when pulling into our local Sheetz, to have trouble finding an available pump… I am fine with waiting my turn while others are actually pumping gas…or cleaning their windshield… but it infuriates me that so many people inconsiderately leave their car at the pump while they are inside for several minutes, finally emerging with a bag full of sandwiches, snack foods, or whatever… I will, and believe everyone should, always move the car to a parking space to enter the store….

…recently, to add insult to injury, the screen on the pump says “Lock your car when unattended.”… seemingly condoning this practice!

I am interested to see the thoughts of others.
That's what we're up against

Reactions: BobPSU92

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
You might have kicked off the next rant. The sometimes excessive number of handicapped parking spaces at some places now and those that park in them without actually being disabled. ;)
Home Depot is the worst. They have spots for handicapped, veterans, and employee of the month that seem to take up an awfully large chunk of the parking lot. I'm all for those things but sometimes the allotment of such spaced seems excessive.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

There is a handicapped spot near the Starbucks that my wife and I frequent. I have never seen another handicapped spot occupied by non-handicapped people like this one is. People pull in there to run in for their mobile-ordered Starbucks drink or to grab a burger at a place a couple of doors down. Just yesterday, I saw a guy pull into this handicapped spot and run (literally run) into the burger place. A$$hole.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Last summer while on vacation I was in a busy parking lot looking for a spot. This car leaves and I start to pull in to the spot. A guys runs up to my front bumper and tells me that this spot is for his wife. He stood the MFing me for a few minutes. His wife pulls up and I told her I'm going to use this spot, so she can look for another one. I gave him a thumbs up and put my car in park. (meanwhile my wife goes to the restaurant and tells me it is a 45 minute wait for a table, so I'm in no hurry.) About 10 minutes later it starts to rain. The guy stands there for another 15 minutes in the rain. Finally, he gives up MFs me some more and I go eat. I was glad I could see my car from my table. Noticed his wife's vehicle left the parking lot not long after we were seated.
At least one of us (definitely not the wives) was a jackhole that day.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login