What has to occur this football season where you worry about Lebby?

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I consider Tyler a D1 assistant from Ole Miss. Whether he spent a year at a high school is irrelevant. Everybody knew he was an up and coming big time coach....except the Ole Miss Brass.
Tyler was an assistant under Bear Bryant when we hired him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Here are the former Head Coaches that State has hired since 1973:
Bob Tyler was a High School Head Coach.
Emory Bellard -A&M
Jackie Sherrill- WSU, Pitt, A&M. Out of Football 2 years when Templeton hired him
Mike Leach- Tech, WSU

The rest have all been Assistants. 2 were RB coaches-Felker and Croom

The other 4 were coordinators - Mullen, Moorhead, Arnett, Lebby.

We are who they think we are!
A program with an overall losing record!

If you are a State fan because of Football, God love you! Otherwise, I suspect you are an alumnus.
That's pretty telling. So we have a 100% hit rate when hiring ex-head coaches, and a 33% hit rate when hiring non-head coaches. You can up that to 50% for coordinators.

I think I know the direction we should be going. Seems like we should be hiring mid-50s experienced head coaches who realize they'll need to do something different at MSU.

Reactions: 85Bears

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Discuss.

Damn it's going to be a long summer.
Lack of focus by the team and staff, repeated missed assignments, zero growth or regression, and how does he handle adversity. Really liked Arnett, but his body language on the sideline told the story.

It's going to be interesting to see what the new normal looks like in college football, and to see if he can navigate it.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
You really don’t have a clue about our roster. We did really well on the offensive side of the ball through the portal. Solidified our OL first by adding the best returning center in college football according to PFF, added a potential NFL LT, added a potential NFL guard. We added not one not 2 but three dynamic WRs. Added a P6 starting QB who’s thrown for over 5,000yds 36/13 TD/ints. Added Booth at RB from Utah state who has over 900yds rushing.
The defense will be better than most on here want to believe. We do have some young talent and added Blanton to the roster at LB, added Jones from UNC into a young but talented DL room. We filled some holes with some G5/P6 kick backs from JUCO at LB and safety. The corner room got better with the addition of Miller from WVU, who in the 23 portal season was a top rated corner from Kent state. People forget that Pollock was a freshman last year and more than held his own at corner . But if you had done any research whatsoever you would have known these things. To many people on here who just didn’t support the Lebby hire for some reason. Probably just a bunch of poor ol state saying we can’t win we cant compete .
Your sunshine won’t work on me man. We have 2 players in the top 900 draft eligible. Both are tight ends and both aren’t even top 500. Southern Miss has 3. We very well might have some good freshman but we don’t know that and they’re freshman. We will not be good this year. We do not have much talent, hate to break it to you. We will only be favored In probably 3/4 games. Is what it is.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong but I’m not.

Reactions: patdog
Jan 4, 2024
Your sunshine won’t work on me man. We have 2 players in the top 900 draft eligible. Both are tight ends and both aren’t even top 500. Southern Miss has 3. We very well might have some good freshman but we don’t know that and they’re freshman. We will not be good this year. We do not have much talent, hate to break it to you. We will only be favored In probably 3/4 games. Is what it is.

You're over looking how bad we were coached last year and under estimating how much of an immediate impact good coaching can have.

I'll be worried about Lebby if my concerns materialize regarding defense. The hiring of the DC took too long and seemed like we had to settle way down the list after top choices turned us down.

Reactions: Bulldawg77

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019

Again you make zero sense and your basing off some website that’s telling you who and what will be drafted from our roster todays 10 months from isn’t really doing research. Add to that I laid out in the post who we brought in from the portal not all freshman. I swear some on here think we have had multiple years of losing seasons and our roster is bare. The lack of knowledge this board in this team is very disappointing. We are not upper echelon talent but we have enough to win 6-8 games this year.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

patdog

May 28, 2007
Again you make zero sense and your basing off some website that’s telling you who and what will be drafted from our roster todays 10 months from isn’t really doing research. Add to that I laid out in the post who we brought in from the portal not all freshman. I swear some on here think we have had multiple years of losing seasons and our roster is bare. The lack of knowledge this board in this team is very disappointing. We are not upper echelon talent but we have enough to win 6-8 games this year.
Our roster is pretty bare. We lost just about every productive player on defense, a record setting QB, our best RB, and most of the OL. You’re expecting a lot from a pretty mediocre ranked portal class and a bunch of young inexperienced coaches. 1st year head coach & special teams coach for a DC.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Our roster is pretty bare. We lost just about every productive player on defense, a record setting QB, our best RB, and most of the OL. You’re expecting a lot from a pretty mediocre ranked portal class and a bunch of young inexperienced coaches. 1st year head coach & special teams coach for a DC.
Ok let’s examine this
QB.. Shapen better arm better athlete Shapen fits the offense beter than noodle arm Will. Shapen >Will
RB. Woody is at USC good for him. But woody stayed hurt a lot. We replaced him with Lee(transfer from Penn State 23 class) and Davin Booth 800 yd rusher from Utah state. Add in Pittman and Daniel’s its say our RB room is better this year.
OL. Miner is the highest ranted returning center in college football according to PFF. Added pounders from Memphis one of the top AAC left tackles last year. One sack against 400 pass attempts. Added Marlon Martinez from LSU, added Texas tech starting guard Jacoby Jackson and return Albert Reese and RS Leon Bell. I’d say this OL has a chance to be very very good.
WR.. Kelly A 1000 WR from UTEP. Outstanding player with speed. Kevin Coleman incredibly fast and shifty. SWAC freshman of the year in 22 tranfers to Louisville last year 872 career yds
Added Trent Hudson who PFF again rated as one of the top WR in the SEC coming into this year. WR room. Much better than last year
TE. Traore is an NFL player both Ball brothers will play this season as well. There is zero comparison to TE room last year
This staff on offense is light year ahead of that absolutely awful staff last year

Hutzler was DC at Texas in 2020. He has a really solid resume but all anyone on here seems to care about is defense defense defense. We will take a few lumps but we have some talent in the front 7. Adding broomfield and miller from portal will help at corner but that’s the weakest position. I can give you a defensive breakdown later

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

Once the season starts, this will become readily apparent. Prior to last season, 8 games was the floor with many predicting 9-10 wins. Anyone who questioned Leachs staff being fired was denounced.

Reactions: RopeDawg

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Once the season starts, this will become readily apparent. Prior to last season, 8 games was the floor with many predicting 9-10 wins. Anyone who questioned Leachs staff being fired was denounced.
I was one of the first to say we made a bad hire in Arnette. But people said I had no clue what I was talking about. I had sources who saw first hand last year how bad of a coach and leader or lack there of ZA was. Guess what. My sources were right all along. But keep doubting

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hutzler was DC at Texas in 2020. He has a really solid resume but all anyone on here seems to care about is defense defense defense. We will take a few lumps but we have some talent in the front 7. Adding broomfield and miller from portal will help at corner but that’s the weakest position. I can give you a defensive breakdown later
A lot of sunshine pumping. Some of it realistic, some of it not. Not gonna bother with most of it. But one factual correction. Hutzler was CO defensive coordinator at TX. Which is just a title they sometimes give a position coach to boost the salary a little. Another coach was the defense coordinator. And the whole staff got fired that year.

Jan 4, 2024
Yep. Just one year removed from back to back .500 seasons and some of us thinking outsiders doing a 10 minute review of last year got this year all figgered out for STATE. I'm still thinking we shouldna added the extra layers of risk not going with HC experience and think AtM, Houston, & Tulane went better routes but I've been wrong before and ain't giving up at this juncture after what I saw Mullen do year 1.

Last edited:

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I could see 6, but I need you to walk me through our path to 8 wins.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Hutlzer's year at Texas isn't exactly a positive. He was Co-DC for a Texas defense that was 64th in Total Defense, 61st in Scoring Defense and 108th in Passing Yards Allowed. Yes, it was a weird season. But still, that stint isn't really a point in his favor.

Jan 4, 2024
I'm concerned that Lebby may have failed at selling defensive coaching jobs to those worthy of coaching D in the SEC. Trying to decide if he deserves a rookie pass or not

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
I see many are pretty much saying 4-0 should be a guarantee for the non-conference. Is Arizona State on the road a "guaranteed" win? I know the Sun Devils weren't good last year, but neither were we. At home I'd feel pretty good about it, but not on the road early in the year with a new coach and pretty much a whole new team.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I see many are pretty much saying 4-0 should be a guarantee for the non-conference. Is Arizona State on the road a "guaranteed" win? I know the Sun Devils weren't good last year, but neither were we. At home I'd feel pretty good about it, but not on the road early in the year with a new coach and pretty much a whole new team.
Toledo at home is also a dangerous game. We should be 4-0 non-conference. But 2-2 is a real possibility.

Reactions: msudawg1200

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ok let’s examine this
QB.. Shapen better arm better athlete Shapen fits the offense beter than noodle arm Will. Shapen >Will
RB. Woody is at USC good for him. But woody stayed hurt a lot. We replaced him with Lee(transfer from Penn State 23 class) and Davin Booth 800 yd rusher from Utah state. Add in Pittman and Daniel’s its say our RB room is better this year.
OL. Miner is the highest ranted returning center in college football according to PFF. Added pounders from Memphis one of the top AAC left tackles last year. One sack against 400 pass attempts. Added Marlon Martinez from LSU, added Texas tech starting guard Jacoby Jackson and return Albert Reese and RS Leon Bell. I’d say this OL has a chance to be very very good.
WR.. Kelly A 1000 WR from UTEP. Outstanding player with speed. Kevin Coleman incredibly fast and shifty. SWAC freshman of the year in 22 tranfers to Louisville last year 872 career yds
Added Trent Hudson who PFF again rated as one of the top WR in the SEC coming into this year. WR room. Much better than last year
TE. Traore is an NFL player both Ball brothers will play this season as well. There is zero comparison to TE room last year
This staff on offense is light year ahead of that absolutely awful staff last year

I hope you’re right. But you realize you’ve set Lebby up for disappointment.

But I do agree with you that our talent isn’t as bad as everyone thinks. We never have totally crappy talent at MSU, too many players in the vicinity to be devoid. But we also don’t ever have elite talent. It takes innovation and hard nosed discipline to rise up above the pack. That’s where the money is made for us.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
You're over looking how bad we were coached last year and under estimating how much of an immediate impact good coaching can have.

I'll be worried about Lebby if my concerns materialize regarding defense. The hiring of the DC took too long and seemed like we had to settle way down the list after top choices turned us down.
I’m not overlooking that at all. I like Lebby and think he’ll do well here but not tear 1. I think if he can show his offense is fun he can develop unproven young guys he can get us back on track. But this is a complete rebuild and our roster is severely lacking talent when compared to our conference opponents.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Ok let’s examine this

What’s your W/L projection?

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
What’s your W/L projection?
EKU W
ASU. W. This team lost a lot off of a very bad team last year
Toledo W lost there QB to the portal and had there up year last year
UF W. It’s sunbelt Billy last ride
TX L but closer than you might think
UGA L
ATM. W I like this game for us. Not counting last year we always play them tough especially at home. Even Peter sirman defense beat them in 16
Ark W. They are not going to be good and petrino will cause more problems
Umass W
UT L. But this could be a shoot out
Mizz W. I like us here at home. The have a good QB and WR but lost RB and lost a lot on defense. They were crazy good in one score games last year
OM. Hard to say. Could they have the year some expect maybe. I know some of those portal kids have been injured and may not be able to play this year. Could they be like Ark basketball and implode with all the ports kids not buying in.

Nothing I posted is outlandish. Of course health is big but we ain’t as bad some want to point out and some games could swing the other direction but that’s my path to 6-8 wins

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
EKU W
UGA L
ATM. W I like this game for us. Not counting last year we always play them tough especially at home. Even Peter sirman defense beat them in 16
Umass W
Mizz W. I like us here at home. The have a good QB and WR but lost RB and lost a lot on defense. They were crazy good in one score games last year
OM. Hard to say. Could they have the year some expect maybe. I know some of those portal kids have been injured and may not be able to play this year. Could they be like Ark basketball and implode with all the ports kids not buying in.

Nothing I posted is outlandish. Of course health is big but we ain’t as bad some want to point out and some games could swing the other direction but that’s my path to 6-8 wins
You're smoking crack

Toledo will be a close game

Florida roster is much upgraded this year. They wont be elite, but we won't beat them

aTm will be ranked top 5 this season, with a new coach and staff that everyone is high on. We ain't winning that game this year.

Ark will be a toss up, but Pittman will be fighting for his coaching life.

Missouri went 11-2 last year and finished ranked 8th. They have most of their key pieces back. And Drinkwitz can coach. We aren't winning that game.

OM will beat us like a drum. And laugh while doing it. Then crow about beating us 3 of the last 4

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
You're smoking crack

Toledo will be a close game

Florida roster is much upgraded this year. They wont be elite, but we won't beat them

aTm will be ranked top 5 this season, with a new coach and staff that everyone is high on. We ain't winning that game this year.

Ark will be a toss up, but Pittman will be fighting for his coaching life.

Missouri went 11-2 last year and finished ranked 8th. They have most of their key pieces back. And Drinkwitz can coach. We aren't winning that game.

OM will beat us like a drum. And laugh while doing it. Then crow about beating us 3 of the last 4
Toledo lost their QB. ATM was ranked 4th in 16 and we beat them. Stop acting like that’s a novelty we best then in 21 and 22. Mizz lost a ton your lack of research shows off saying the return key pieces Must be a free board paying member. FL didn’t upgrade not sure why you’re buying that. Carry on negative energy

patdog

May 28, 2007
EKU W
UGA L
Umass W

You are living in some bizarre parallel universe if you think all those wins are happening. Mizzouri and Mississippi are #6 and #8 in ESPN's post-spring rankings and you've got a win and "hard to say." FL, A&M (they will just out-talent us badly) and maybe Ark and either Toledo or ASU will probably be losses too.

Last edited:

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
It’s not complicated when trying to analyze if we made the right hire. Typically, the evidence is visible within the first 6-7 games of a coach’s tenure. If we are concerned or questioning if Lebby is the guy after this season, then he probably isn’t. We knew quickly Jackie was the guy, knew in the first season that Croom sucked, knew in Mullen’s first year that we had a good coach, knew in Moorhead’s first season that we made a massive mistake, etc.

I’m optimistic about Lebby, and we should know after the Texas game if he’s the future leader of our program.

I haven’t read a single post in this thread and don’t plan to. This board is full of a bunch of miserable losers who still want to believe we are poor old 1980s Mississippi State. They love playing the victim and claiming we have no shot at being successful in football. It’s just who they are.

Reactions: Bulldawg77

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
It’s not complicated when trying to analyze if we made the right hire. Typically, the evidence is visible within the first 6-7 games of a coach’s tenure. If we are concerned or questioning if Lebby is the guy after this season, then he probably isn’t. We knew quickly Jackie was the guy, knew in the first season that Croom sucked, knew in Mullen’s first year that we had a good coach, knew in Moorhead’s first season that we made a massive mistake, etc.

I’m optimistic about Lebby, and we should know after the Texas game if he’s the future leader of our program.

I haven’t read a single post in this thread and don’t plan to. This board is full of a bunch of miserable losers who still want to believe we are poor old 1980s Mississippi State. They love playing the victim and claiming we have no shot at being successful in football. It’s just who they are.
Quite a bit of hypocrisy from someone who trashed Leach during a 9-4 year, then praised Arnett as he blew up the program.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
You are living in some bizarre parallel universe if you think all those wins are happening. Mizzouri and Mississippi are #6 and #8 in ESPN's post-spring rankings and you've got a win and "hard to say." FL, A&M (they will just out-talent us badly) and maybe Ark and either Toledo or ASU will probably be losses too.
So everyone improved but state. Okay. Sure
You and others act like we are a sunbelt program. And I didn’t say we would win against OM but I do think we will play that game close and yes I do think we can beat Mizz and AM. Will we who knows but it’s not out of the realm of possibility. Not sure why yall think that we can’t. Last time I checked AM has had talent and we have proven time after time we can beat them. We are far superior talent wise but to Toledo come on. They won’t be as good as they were last year and even then they lost to ILL. ASU will be one of the worst teams in P5 this year. They are still having problems with the penalties from Herm tenure and lost players to the portal. But again I guess we didn’t get any better but everyone else did.

Something I don’t understand is why do some of our fans just **** on our program. When did it become the norm to be be Fing miserable and negative on State athletics. I and others have tried to explain that we ain’t as bad as some won’t to make it out to be yet you have others that just want to cherry pick the negative BS. From we have no talent to we have no resources to we are going to get left out of the big league, oh and our NIL sucks. Really I think it’s that we are making moves to play in the future to put MSU in a positive light and it scares the fucjk out of these posters. They would rather be negative and miserable than to enjoy and be optimistic about the future

patdog

May 28, 2007
Something I don’t understand is why do some of our fans just **** on our program. When did it become the norm to be be Fing miserable and negative on State athletics. I and others have tried to explain that we ain’t as bad as some won’t to make it out to be yet you have others that just want to cherry pick the negative BS. From we have no talent to we have no resources to we are going to get left out of the big league, oh and our NIL sucks. Really I think it’s that we are making moves to play in the future to put MSU in a positive light and it scares the fucjk out of these posters. They would rather be negative and miserable than to enjoy and be optimistic about the future
It's not sh*tting on our program to have realistic expectations. The two UMs on our schedule are both expected to be playoff teams this year. Is it possible we could beat them? Of course. Anything's possible. But it's not realistic to predict a win and a "hard to say" with an all new coaching staff, most of which is being promoted to a higher level than they've ever coached before to just come in and start beating top 10 teams in year one.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Quite a bit of hypocrisy from someone who trashed Leach during a 9-4 year, then praised Arnett as he blew up the program.
Yep, they only want to see success in THEIR way.

What the RuNdAbAwLeRs don't get is that there were distinct similarities between Jackie, Mullen and Leach, in many different ways. I'll let them try and figure out the true qualities we need in an MSU coach, but I'll be waiting a long time.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Leach was a terrible hire. You’ll never hear me say differently.

I was optimistic about Arnett. I wanted him to succeed. Once the season started there wasn’t any praising, and just like everyone else, I wanted him gone after midway through the year.

• Haha

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Leach was a terrible hire. You’ll never hear me say differently.

I was optimistic about Arnett. I wanted him to succeed. Once the season started there wasn’t any praising, and just like everyone else, I wanted him gone after midway through the year.
This is why you shouldn’t be judging anyone’s quailifications as a fan. let me know the next time we have a coach who goes 9-4 in the portal/nil era. you’re going to be waiting a long time. Tell me again how smart it was for Arnett to fire Leachs entire staff.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I really wish Arnette would have been honest about his own personal limitations before accepting the job. He'd been in the business and on our campus long enough to know if it was something he could handle.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This is why you shouldn’t be judging anyone’s quailifications as a fan. let me know the next time we have a coach who goes 9-4 in the portal/nil era. you’re going to be waiting a long time. Tell me again how smart it was for Arnett to fire Leachs entire staff.
The most ironic part about the 9-4 season that you shamelessly ejaculate to every day, is Arnett’s defense was the main reason we had any success that year. 9 wins in spite of Leach’s putrid offense.

• Haha

patdog

May 28, 2007
The most ironic part about the 9-4 season that you shamelessly ejaculate to every day, is Arnett’s defense was the main reason we had any success that year. 9 wins in spite of Leach’s putrid offense.
Regardless of how it happened, or how manageable the schedule was, I'll take 9-4 every day. I've never been a Leach fan, and didn't particularly like the hire. But you have to give him credit for that since he was the head coach.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
whatever petty personal ax to grind you have with Leach, the fact is he went 9-4 in his second full season here during the NIL/transfer portal era. That won’t be duplicated for a long while. He went .500 in the sec both years. Lets see how long that takes to happen again.

he wasn’t the two time national coach of the year and universally respected amongst college head coaches and around the nfl because of “Arnetts genius defenses or his crappy offenses”. Your childish whining reminds me of the garbage I read on genespage prior to last season. We all know how that turned out.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I really wish Arnette would have been honest about his own personal limitations before accepting the job. He'd been in the business and on our campus long enough to know if it was something he could handle.
Not me or those in the know he was a train wreck from the get go. We just had fans who thought he got it… he couldn’t get a cup of coffee. He was the worst HC in our modern history. So much I could get into from his time at DC. He was typical bracky brett LT hire.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
whatever petty personal ax to grind you have with Leach, the fact is he went 9-4 in his second full season here during the NIL/transfer portal era. That won’t be duplicated for a long while. He went .500 in the sec both years. Lets see how long that takes to happen again.

he wasn’t the two time national coach of the year and universally respected amongst college head coaches and around the nfl because of “Arnetts genius defenses or his crappy offenses”. Your childish whining reminds me of the garbage I read on genespage prior to last season. We all know how that turned out.
Totally agree but the thing none of us can get away from was that he died. It sucked, but it happened.

Where I lost faith in our leadership is when we hired Arnett instead of Spurrier Jr, or at minimum hiring Arnett with the caveat that he keeps the entire staff. Leach deserved that much. Instead, we hired out of fear (that Arnett would leave), and to pacify the RuNdAbAwL mouth breathers. And we got what we got. I mean we had grown men around here saying it was Arnett’s program etc, we need to let him run it, and only a lame brain couldn’t see that this was a stopgap thing. And stopgap is ok, as long as you continue what you were being successful with, which we didn’t, and apparently Arnett told us he wouldn’t, and our leadership agreed, because muh RuNdAbAwL.

We will see on Lebby but it sure certainly SEEMS that we made the easy hire to again, try to mimick Ole Miss.

Remember - that same leadership wanted to keep Moorhead because we won the Egg Bowl over a shltty Ole Miss who essentially gifted us the game.

We literally couldn’t have handled it any worse. At one time, our leadership was great, just what we needed. But we lost track and went back to the same ole Miss stake.

Last edited: