2024 Phillies Thread

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Phils get 2 on in the top of the 9th, but can't plate them, as Scwarber strikes out for the final out.

Final: 4-1, Mets
This team is the definition of insanity. They have the same problems year after year after year. Unreliable bullpen and inability to consistently put the ball in play at the plate.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Middleton must be beside himself for all the money he’s spent.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
They need to go get a CF and/or LF who can hit for average. The all or nothing approach isn’t getting it done. Turner, Harper, Realmuto, and Schwarber had some really poor at bats. The bullpen looked like a group of scared kids.

Reactions: Colt2169

yboby

Oct 6, 2021
They need to go get a CF and/or LF who can hit for average. The all or nothing approach isn’t getting it done. Turner, Harper, Realmuto, and Schwarber had some really poor at bats. The bullpen looked like a group of scared kids.
Almost seemed like the Mets knew what the relievers were going to throw. Uncanny.

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Yup. Good core there. Harper isn’t the problem. But they have decisions to make on guys like Casty, Marsh, Rojas, Stott, and Hays. And the pitching staff? Oiy.
Realmuto was O for 11 in the series. Marsh, Rojas, and Hays can go. They provide little to nothing at the plate.

Dec 14, 2021
Nobody asked, but here are my thoughts. Teams play 162 games and set routines for their relievers. Relievers come in pitch an inning, put on a jacket and sit down. Rarely, do relievers pitch an inning, sit, and then come out or another inning. Even rarer, when it works. Remember, the Mets tried it with Diaz in game 2. Didn't work for them either. Estevez is an 8th or 9th inning pitcher. That's his routine. Bottom of the 6th, not his routine.

I know, I know, they are professionals. They are paid a lot of money. They should be able to adjust. Routines and muscle memory are established over 162 games. Blowing it up in a 1-0 game in the 6th inning is a panic move. When Hoffman was used in the 5th, he should have been done. Someone fresh to start the 6th. Estevez throwing the night before made no sense. Don't give them free looks at him.

I like Thomson. But, they need a common sense coach to sit with him during the playoffs.

All that and it still doesn't matter if you don't hit. Phils didn't.

"You can't turn it off and on like a light switch." Phils were very mediocre since the All-Star break. Last year was more of a disappointment for me. I didn't have high hopes entering the playoffs.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Nobody asked, but here are my thoughts. Teams play 162 games and set routines for their relievers. Relievers come in pitch an inning, put on a jacket and sit down. Rarely, do relievers pitch an inning, sit, and then come out or another inning. Even rarer, when it works. Remember, the Mets tried it with Diaz in game 2. Didn't work for them either. Estevez is an 8th or 9th inning pitcher. That's his routine. Bottom of the 6th, not his routine.

I know, I know, they are professionals. They are paid a lot of money. They should be able to adjust. Routines and muscle memory are established over 162 games. Blowing it up in a 1-0 game in the 6th inning is a panic move. When Hoffman was used in the 5th, he should have been done. Someone fresh to start the 6th. Estevez throwing the night before made no sense. Don't give them free looks at him.

I like Thomson. But, they need a common sense coach to sit with him during the playoffs.

All that and it still doesn't matter if you don't hit. Phils didn't.

"You can't turn it off and on like a light switch." Phils were very mediocre since the All-Star break. Last year was more of a disappointment for me. I didn't have high hopes entering the playoffs.
Hoffman looked like a deer in the headlights all series. He didn’t even come close to resembling the guy he was in the regular season. The moment looked too big for him. Plus, Alvarado couldn’t be trusted, so that left them with a very small amount of relievers to use.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Hoffman looked like a deer in the headlights all series. He didn’t even come close to resembling the guy he was in the regular season. The moment looked too big for him. Plus, Alvarado couldn’t be trusted, so that left them with a very small amount of relievers to use.
So why wasn’t Sanchez used? It was do or die. Thomson, IMO, does not have the managerial skills to figure this out. His pitching subs and lineups were baffling at times. Also no ability to drill into his hitters head to try not to swing at pitches out of the zone. Teams just throw low pitches to the outside and they get automatic swings from the Phillies undisciplined hitters.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
So why wasn’t Sanchez used? It was do or die. Thomson, IMO, does not have the managerial skills to figure this out. His pitching subs and lineups were baffling at times. Also no ability to drill into his hitters head to try not to swing at pitches out of the zone. Teams just throw low pitches to the outside and they get automatic swings from the Phillies undisciplined hitters.
Not a Phils fan but in his defense I have heard Thomson say frequently during the season that the players needed to stop swinging at pitches outside the zone. Everybody wants to be the hero on Sports Center.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Not a Phils fan but in his defense I have heard Thomson say frequently during the season that the players needed to stop swinging at pitches outside the zone. Everybody wants to be the hero on Sports Center.
I guess that approach worked!

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
As a few of us states a few months ago, this team looked like a team that hit a wall mid season. They looked tired and beat up. They have played a lot of baseball over the past 3 seasons. They are really, really talented, but I think they need some tinkering. Dombrowski is one of the best in the business. He has a plan, I’m sure. Hopefully, they can get a health, effective Painter in the rotation next year.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Realmuto was O for 11 in the series. Marsh, Rojas, and Hays can go. They provide little to nothing at the plate.
Realmuto is not tradable. They locked him up long term for big catcher money. They knew the drill when signing many of these guys at 30-plus. That may be catching up with them. No pun intended.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Wasn’t hard to see it coming after the final regular season series with the Mets.
Too many needs. Our bull pen is terrible.
And they have minimal salary flexibility after all these Dombrowski star signings.

It will be an interesting offseason. If all they do is resign Estevez and/or Hoffman, then god help them.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Realmuto is not tradable. They locked him up long term for big catcher money. They knew the drill when signing many of these guys at 30-plus. That may be catching up with them. No pun intended.
I don’t expect them to trade him. He’s still one of the best catchers in the league. For that reason though, you expect more of him at the plate.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I don’t expect them to trade him. He’s still one of the best catchers in the league. For that reason though, you expect more of him at the plate.
At 34 and at a position of notorious physical demands, I think we may be seeing that Realmuto will bring less to the table offensively as he ages. This is to be expected and a bigger question is whether/when we'll see similar decline from Harper, Schwarber and Turner?

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login