Good thread from the pay board - What's your unpopular State opinion?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Vic didn’t leave because of the “Love Triangle” rumor.
Cam wasn’t coming even if we agreed to pay him.
MSU wasn’t going to win the Natty even if Gene Morgan didn’t get hit in the ankle.

Reactions: eckie1

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Aesthetically speaking, the new one is hands down better….

however, in terms of functionality, the old dude was way better. I guarantee non season ticket holders go to way less games now than in the old dude. That is eventually going to impact fan engagement. Kids aren’t going to grow up going to as many games as I did as a kid.
It certainly cuts down on my spur of the moment trips to Starkville but that's also due to cost of travel and hotels these day too. However, it was a lot easier in the old park to drive up knowing i wouldnt have to stand the whole game.
I feel the fans owned more of the park before too.
the old rigs were fan made and had a grass roots feel. Now it's just premium boxes. It felt more unique back in the day.
and I hate berms at any ball park.

Reactions: ronpolk

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So how has the pay board changed this board? The pay board is its own animal with the majority of those posters coming over from 24/7 when Paul and Robbie came.
Don't think it's changed this board. I was a member there for a short time. Those new guys are weird but I didn't feel like there was any value being a member. Don't care for recruiting crap and most the insider stuff wasn't much better than anything else. The folks that run it get their feelings hurt as much as rosebowl and Jorts. The only difference is that Robbie and Paul don't ban you for disagreeing. But their posters act like gods for their insider info when don't know jack.

Reactions: Maroon13

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
A student with a 32 ACT, 4.0+ HS GPA and numerous academic and community service awards should receive FULL RIDE from State for 4 full years. State is so tight with its scholarship and endowment money, its no wonder we lose great students to other universities.
I know some guys who wanted to go to state but got full rides to go to UM for engineering so they went there. We got to do better for sure

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It certainly cuts down on my spur of the moment trips to Starkville but that's also due to cost of travel and hotels these day too. However, it was a lot easier in the old park to drive up knowing i wouldnt have to stand the whole game.
I feel the fans owned more of the park before too.
the old rigs were fan made and had a grass roots feel. Now it's just premium boxes. It felt more unique back in the day.
and I hate berms at any ball park.

It's the way of the world...

Po folks make something cool and good and cheap. BBQ pork, red beans and rice, beef brisket, chicken wings, the LFL.

Then folks with money throw their money at it and make it expensive and less charming and good.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’ll add a brief tale about Sonny’s. My freshman year I convinced a girl to go to dinner with me. Naturally, I want to impress this young lady, straight from one of Memphis’ finer private schools, so I take her for the best bbq she’s ever had. Shockingly, she wasn’t impressed by the decor of plywood and trophies. Anyway, she orders the half chicken dinner. I guess she was trying to impress me with how little she could eat and thought it was going to be a half portion. Well, when that plate came out, and it was a chicken cut in half, smoked, and served just like that, including a small portion of the neck, she looked at me and we both realized our relationship was not going to reach the levels I had hoped she hoped for. Glad I found out early on that she wasn’t a keeper.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
You need only not recall what he inherited to disregard him. If you had been on campus for the transition to Sherrill, you would be a huge fan. He not only gave the football program a much-needed boost and he marketed it well. It was a fun time. I was in line at the Hump waiting on tickets (let that sink in) when he showed up with donuts for us students who were there. As bad as we were when he left, it was better than when he entered.
and the biggest change was the change in the attitude of our fans. He stood up to Ole Miss and Billy Brewer and basically gave them the finger. My favorite tshirt from that era said something to the effect "Jackie put the hate in the game. Go to hell Ole Miss".

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I’ll add a brief tale about Sonny’s. My freshman year I convinced a girl to go to dinner with me. Naturally, I want to impress this young lady, straight from one of Memphis’ finer private schools, so I take her for the best bbq she’s ever had. Shockingly, she wasn’t impressed by the decor of plywood and trophies. Anyway, she orders the half chicken dinner. I guess she was trying to impress me with how little she could eat and thought it was going to be a half portion. Well, when that plate came out, and it was a chicken cut in half, smoked, and served just like that, including a small portion of the neck, she looked at me and we both realized our relationship was not going to reach the levels I had hoped she hoped for. Glad I found out early on that she wasn’t a keeper.

th-3411988026.jpg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The Doc Foglesong tenure was incredibly bad for MSU.
Expand. Fan of the daffodils? I thought his AD hire set our athletic department in the right track for the most successful run we ever had with sports. I also feel like the university expanded in a positive manner z dude loved him some old planes too

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I know we had it made in 1997 but lost games we shouldn’t have to Ole Miss and Arkansas. In 1999, I think Bama would’ve still gotten in over us because of the head to head win and only one loss

Edit: should’ve won it in 2000, though
2000 was the song worst coaching job I’ve ever seen besides the Arnett disaster. We should’ve been in the SECCG, but lost to the 4 worst teams on our schedule. Pathetic. And that was the beginning of the end for the Jackal.

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010
1) The time spent pining for the interlocking MSU logo is foolish. It was copied from Memphis State who had the same logo in the early 70s.
2) The Banner M is perfectly fine.
3) I wish the Walking Bully would go away

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Expand. Fan of the daffodils? I thought his AD hire set our athletic department in the right track for the most successful run we ever had with sports. I also feel like the university expanded in a positive manner z dude loved him some old planes too
As the thread says.. it’s not a popular opinion. Because all most folks know is he flew a plane, played in a band and rubber stamped the Byrne hire.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
If our elitist little sisters to the north hadn’t balked on adding an Ag school, we’d have a mega university and would all be yelling HYDR a lot and raving about the Groooooove.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
In the major sports since NIL, MSU athletes and sports teams are not any different from Ole Miss athletes and sports teams. Or LSU. Or Southern Miss. Or the Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Cubs.

All are just self-interested individuals representing where they got the best deal for themselves….and none give a damn about the university, school, town, or fans that helped them get that deal.

Therefore, none of them are worth rooting for anymore. Or rooting against.

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
I have though this for many years: maroon or white jersey with gray pants.
The Ole Miss football team wore gray pants for decades. For some reason, they've started wearing white pants more often.

I think we really need to stick with maroon and white to improve our brand recognition. Although, gray is now considered one of the university's official support colors. It does look okay in limited use on uniforms.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
In the major sports since NIL, MSU athletes and sports teams are not any different from Ole Miss athletes and sports teams. Or LSU. Or Southern Miss. Or the Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Cubs.

All are just self-interested individuals representing where they got the best deal for themselves….and none give a damn about the university, school, town, or fans that helped them get that deal.

Therefore, none of them are worth rooting for anymore. Or rooting against.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t hate it when we experiment with alternate uniforms and I actually liked the Military Appreciation uniforms we used against Texas A&M in 2016.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Uttering "Hail State" to people in public as our go-to phrase is effing stupid. I am and always will be a simple "Go Dawgs!" guy.

I was actually kind of happy to hear someone even say, "How 'bout them Bulldogs!?" yesterday in a Fort Worth Costco (had my non-Script logo shirt on, too, which drew the statement). It sure wasn't a dumb "Hail State!".

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I understand why people can think this, but have you been to any games recently? We're getting more people there on a regular basis than ever before. I think the whole GA seating thing was incredibly overblown.

If less kids are coming, which I don't think it's true, it's probably because we've got every weekend overscheduled with stupid shlt, not because they don't have a bleacher seat down the outfield lines and a creak in their neck.
Yeah i usually make at least one or 2 each year. I have no doubt that locally (in Starkville) baseball attendance is unchanged. I think what has changed is someone like me deciding to go from Jackson area on Sunday to catch a game. It’s a 50/50 proposition if you’re going to get a reasonably priced ticket.

Now I will also say, I have a 4 year old son and it’s hard enough to get him to hang out in a seat for most of the game… the berm is impossible. I’m not one opposed to the berm or standing up along a drink rail, it’s just not an option for me with my 4 year old son. But that will change as he gets older and I’m sure we will go to more games then.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Jun 7, 2024
The Doc Foglesong tenure was incredibly bad for MSU.
He was Grade A pain in the *** to Larry Templeton, so he gets a free pass from me. LT will forever feel the stinging sensation of having Foglesong's boot stuck up his ***. We should have a statue of Foglesong outside of Lee Hall based on that alone.

I will say that I thought it was a strange hire. What does a career Brass Hat know about running a modern day University? I am a big believer in making hires based on practical experience.