Keenum has got to go.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Damn dude you'll make anything about race.

I get the play on words but surely you understand the genesis of that user name?
I simply said it made me chuckle based on name alone.
Apple rumored to be working on an activity journaling app to assist ...

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Ask yourself why there is growth and you will see a huge problem.

Growth doesn't always equal good. We are getting a ton of 20-23 ACT students that aren't ready for college and flunking out. Look at the scholarship matrix for State and Ole Miss.
What about it? Every time Ive checked into it, we do as much as Ole Miss does, including when my son was on a full ride at MSU.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Kiffin? Uh, no….he was hired by OM before we even fired Moorhead.
If anyone likes to play “what if _____”. What if Moorhead lost that last eggbowl?

I doubt our stick up the *** folks would have even entertained Lane Kiffin. Probably went with Willie Taggert or Mike Bobo.

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
OM has almost 100% acceptance rate. They lose a number of kids before graduation.
Their retention and graduation rates are both higher than ours, so they're keeping and graduating them better than us.
We'll have another good sized freshman class this year, but it's well short of what OM is expecting if their numbers are true.

Reactions: jacksondawg20

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Their retention and graduation rates are both higher than ours, so they're keeping and graduating them better than us.
We'll have another good sized freshman class this year, but it's well short of what OM is expecting if their numbers are true.
Yes but I think the 100% acceptance rate is a newer thing so you have to wait for that data. But I also think a large acceptance rate is the right move with the cliff coming up. We need people. I don’t really care what the grad or retention rate is.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Go compare the graduating classes. Ours have been larger. They aren't graduating the numbers we are. And with our tougher requirements, you'd expect the percentage to be a little lower anyway. And again, their numbers are from 7 different campuses etc.

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Go compare the graduating classes. Ours have been larger. They aren't graduating the numbers we are. And with our tougher requirements, you'd expect the percentage to be a little lower anyway. And again, their numbers are from 7 different campuses etc.
Yes, we have more total graduates because our enrollment has been bigger than theirs when excluding UMMC. But very soon it won't be that way with the larger incoming classes they've had. In a few years they'll have more total graduates than we do. Also, having tougher entry requirements should mean we have a higher grad rate since you'd expect a higher quality students with those requirements.
And to answer @8dog on why we should care about retention and graduation rates. There's complaining about how low our US News and other rankings are every year, well guess what plays a pretty decent part in the rankings?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yes, we have more total graduates because our enrollment has been bigger than theirs when excluding UMMC. But very soon it won't be that way with the larger incoming classes they've had. In a few years they'll have more total graduates than we do. Also, having tougher entry requirements should mean we have a higher grad rate since you'd expect a higher quality students with those requirements.
And to answer @8dog on why we should care about retention and graduation rates. There's complaining about how low our US News and other rankings are every year, well guess what plays a pretty decent part in the rankings?
Oh I know. But we aren’t going to change that. It’s 20% perception. OM acceptance rate is crazy higher than ours and their grad rates aren’t that much higher but they still get ranked above us. If we are attracting people and dollars that’s all I care about. We aren’t gonna become some high end educational institution at this point. We need to be creating alums in bulk bc the cliff is coming up but also this state is dying. We can’t let some bogus ranking dictate how we try to thrive …or even just survive.

Reactions: jacksondawg20

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Where we get our teeth kicked in is the OOS students. Keenum can't figure out we can't just be a MS college. OOS tuition issues kill us!
Bama started their OOS push 2 decades ago. They went from 75% in state in '02 to 37% in state in '22. And they doubled enrollment at the same time.
There have been 3 MSU presidents since '02, and another 2 interim. None of those 3 or 5 have done what you want. This is worth pointing out because 1- it is a long process to implement and 2- its not like only Keenum has 'failed' in this regard.

There is a definitely legitimate philosophical question here too- should MSU try to become a state university that serves 75% out of state students.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I mean you googled Ole Miss's enrollment to try to defend Mark Keenum, so congrats on doing the same amount of work that I did.
First of all, I used Duck Duck Go.

Second, I made one post about it (as a response to you), you made 3.

Lastly, yes, I was trying to set the record straight in defense of the good guys. I would never google anything to try to make a positive point about Ole Miss, but diff'rent strokes I guess.

widespreadgt

Sep 1, 2023
First of all, I used Duck Duck Go.

Second, I made one post about it (as a response to you), you made 3.

Lastly, yes, I was trying to set the record straight in defense of the good guys. I would never google anything to try to make a positive point about Ole Miss, but diff'rent strokes I guess.
Actually excusing the good guys for doing a lesser job than our main competition is not helping Mississippi State, you're just excusing mediocrity, because it's better than facing the facts that Mark Keenum is a terrible University president and Glen Boyce has killed him in everything from recruiting students, hiring ADs, and increasing their retention rates.

You're not helping the "good guys", you're helping Mark Keenum.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Bama started their OOS push 2 decades ago. They went from 75% in state in '02 to 37% in state in '22. And they doubled enrollment at the same time.
There have been 3 MSU presidents since '02, and another 2 interim. None of those 3 or 5 have done what you want. This is worth pointing out because 1- it is a long process to implement and 2- its not like only Keenum has 'failed' in this regard.

There is a definitely legitimate philosophical question here too- should MSU try to become a state university that serves 75% out of state students.
We better grow that OOS number fast or we're going to be screwed. And if we lose P4 athletics status, you'll see a collapse in enrollment like you can't imagine.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Their class numbers are manipulated. Can you guys not realize that? This idea that they're doubling us up isn't real.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Mississippi State has always had as its primary focus educating the people of Mississippi. I do not want to see that change. I do NOT want to see MSU become another Ole Miss. If they want to educate the rejects from Georgia and Texas as their primary focus then good for them, provided they stop taking Mississippi tax dollars.

• Sad
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We better grow that OOS number fast or we're going to be screwed. And if we lose P4 athletics status, you'll see a collapse in enrollment like you can't imagine.
NO. And the quickest way for us to lose P4 status right now would be to get rid of Mark Keenum. He has a LOT of pull in the college athletics world.

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Actually excusing the good guys for doing a lesser job than our main competition is not helping Mississippi State, you're just excusing mediocrity, because it's better than facing the facts that Mark Keenum is a terrible University president and Glen Boyce has killed him in everything from recruiting students, hiring ADs, and increasing their retention rates.

You're not helping the "good guys", you're helping Mark Keenum.
"trying to set the record straight" is excusing Keenum?? Where did I say he was doing a great job? I'll save you time: I didn't. I only said I thought you were wrong about the stat you threw out.

My second post said you sure were working hard, and it looks like the work continues. I'll let you get back to it. I can't wait to find out what else Ole Miss is great at.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Are we seeing UMiss's version of the Saban effect on enrollment? When Saban started winning big, total enrollment and out of state enrollment just blew up. Is Kiffin having the same effect at UMiss?

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Their class numbers are manipulated. Can you guys not realize that? This idea that they're doubling us up isn't real.
They're manipulating enrollment data that affects all funding they receive to continue operating every year? I guess they weren't for the years we were ahead of them in enrollment.
I understand they have multiple campuses, but so do we. A freshman is a freshman regardless of where they attend classes.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They're manipulating enrollment data that affects all funding they receive to continue operating every year? I guess they weren't for the years we were ahead of them in enrollment.
I understand they have multiple campuses, but so do we. A freshman is a freshman regardless of where they attend classes.
We don't have anything like UMC. That is the only reason they have been ahead of us at anytime since the 1980s. They didn't used to count it, till they got tired of having fewer students than Hinds.

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
We don't have anything like UMC. That is the only reason they have been ahead of us at anytime since the 1980s. They didn't used to count it, till they got tired of having fewer students than Hinds.
I can't stand that they include UMMC in their counts, since most people I know that went there were actually MSU grads. But we did pass them in overall enrollment for a few years during covid up to I think last year.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Mississippi State has always had as its primary focus educating the people of Mississippi. I do not want to see that change. I do NOT want to see MSU become another Ole Miss. If they want to educate the rejects from Georgia and Texas as their primary focus then good for them, provided they stop taking Mississippi tax dollars.

Here’s the thing: Mississippi’s school age population is dropping. If you don’t want MSU to do what Ole Miss is doing and educate out of state students, then you are against the continued operations of Mississippi State University.

TLDR: Texas Rejects > Mis’sip Genuses

NO. And the quickest way for us to lose P4 status right now would be to get rid of Mark Keenum. He has a LOT of pull in the college athletics world.

Dude is 63. He ain’t gonna be President of MSU for 40+ years like Clyde Muse was at Hinds Community College.

His retirement will happen sometime in the next few years.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Where we get our teeth kicked in is the OOS students. Keenum can't figure out we can't just be a MS college. OOS tuition issues kill us!

It's easier to get to Oxford than Starkville.

That's what kills us in Texas and points west.

Get flights into GTR from Dallas and Houston, and we will get more OOS.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
TAMU is freezing enrollment growth. We could take advantage of that, but need a way for them and parents to get to campus without a car, or a 2 hour drive to a direct flight airport.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
TAMU is freezing enrollment growth. We could take advantage of that, but need a way for them and parents to get to campus without a car, or a 2 hour drive to a direct flight airport.
Agreed.

With that said though, it’s nice to have a university in one of the few states with a growing college student population that can afford to make the additions and changes at this time to better serve students.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login