Remember when rules mattered? Dogs in a mall.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
I prefer dogs to people by a wide margin.

But I don't want to see your dog sitting in a supermarket shopping cart where the next customer will be putting food right where the dogs butt was.
I've seen that silly crap.

Reactions: Psu00

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
So, my wife and I go to a mall yesterday for shopping, scones, lattes, the usual. For the first time at this mall, we saw people, inside the mall, walking their dogs. Around ten different people with a dog. These were not emergency medical dogs. No scarves or other signage visible. Just plain, ordinary dogs.

I figured that dogs must not really be allowed in this mall, so what gives? Checking the FAQ page on the mall’s website indicates that only certified medical dogs are allowed in the mall. What the hell? o_O

My wife and I happened upon a security guard, and without reporting anyone, I asked him about all the dogs around. He said that despite the official policy, he and his fellow security guards are instructed not to confront anyone with a dog. The concern is that a dog owner will get offended, make a scene, lodge a complaint, etc. So, there really is no policy.

For f*ck’s sake. I remember a time when rules mattered, when rules were observed, and when rules were enforced. Now, we can’t risk offending the rule breaker.

I figure the policy will be enforced when someone gets bitten by a dog or a dog sh|ts on a store carpet.

Get off my mall! o_O
Some malls have signs you can't carry a weapon because it's "private property". Pure BS. If you have a CCP they can't stop you from carrying.

But dogs are ok to mess in the mall.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
If confronted, the owners will probably plead that the dog is an emotional support animal. Last time I flew from Miami to Pittsburgh there were 4 dogs on the flight. They were declared emotional support animals. Also, there was a small pig. It was declared an emotional support animal also.
Out of control.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Some malls have signs you can't carry a weapon because it's "private property". Pure BS. If you have a CCP they can't stop you from carrying.

Depending on the state, individuals with carry-permits can be banned from bringing their guns onto private property. Texas is one of those states.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022

I always figured if I was carrying concealed in a place that said it was prohibited, by the time anyone knew I was carrying the bullets would already be flying (unless there was a search like a courthouse or airport, etc). Questions would be answered later.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I have a niece that’s F’ing nuts. She has this half wild large Labrador that she takes to the mall and everywhere else. She has this outfit she puts on him, and if anyone says something she claims it’s a “comfort dog” that’s allowed to go anywhere because of her insecurities.
That dog deserve a better owner

Reactions: JohnJumba and Psu00

northwoods

Oct 30, 2021
I prefer dogs to people by a wide margin.

But I don't want to see your dog sitting in a supermarket shopping cart where the next customer will be putting food right where the d
My favorite bumper sticker is "The more I'm around people, the more I love my dog".

Reactions: Nitt1300

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
You have to be really careful here. Service dogs or emotional support animals are allowed to go anywhere the human is permitted to. It’s a huge issue in Condo’s and HOA’s and legal will instruct you to not ask questions, etc. given the slippery slope that this can lead you on. You can’t ask the people about the disability or condition that the dog assists in. You CAN ask to see the designation but that was advised against. So basically you have expanded what was human space to be shared space with service or ESA’s so that you’re on the way to no designation.
Do you actually know how easy it is to order a brightly colored dog vest printed with the words “Service Animal” ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
From the leg room you can determine they’re in First Class 😎

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
We have this happen all the time at the restaurant all of the time. We allow all dogs on the patio and we bring them water annd bacon. Only working service dogs , not emotional support or dogs in strollers are allowed in the restaurant. People go nuts when we challenge. One person last week with a dog in the stroller was told no go but they could go on the patio and they were going. The guy was getting hotter by the second then told my 15 year old host that she was a cun! And walked out. So she told me this and then the game was on after that.

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
You have to be really careful here. Service dogs or emotional support animals are allowed to go anywhere the human is permitted to. It’s a huge issue in Condo’s and HOA’s and legal will instruct you to not ask questions, etc. given the slippery slope that this can lead you on. You can’t ask the people about the disability or condition that the dog assists in. You CAN ask to see the designation but that was advised against. So basically you have expanded what was human space to be shared space with service or ESA’s so that you’re on the way to no designation.
Service dogs and emotional support animals are two completely different things. Service dogs are specially trained to perform a service and are permitted almost everywhere, for good reason. ESAs may or may not be trained, and anyone can obtain an ESA certificate online with a few mouse clicks. People buy those certificates and fake "service dog" vests in order to exploit businesses that won't challenge the fact that ESAs are NOT trained service animals and won't kick them out of stores. ESAs do not share the same rights and protections as service animals.

I love dogs, but it's getting ridiculous seeing these obviously untrained dogs everywhere. My local grocery store won't even challenge these dog owners as they don't want to create a conflict where the dog owners flip out and it becomes a bigger mess such as a physical altercation. Dogs have no business in a grocery store. Fortunately airlines have said they will start cracking down. Businesses are completely within their rights to ask what special services the dogs have been trained to do before allowing them in a business, the problem is they won't enforce it and the pet owners that take advantage of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psu00 and BobPSU92

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
Service dogs and emotional support animals are two completely different things. Service dogs are specially trained to perform a service and are permitted almost everywhere, for good reason. ESAs may or may not be trained, and anyone can obtain an ESA certificate online with a few mouse clicks. People buy those certificates and fake "service dog" vests in order to exploit businesses that won't challenge the fact that ESAs are NOT trained service animals and won't kick them out of stores. ESAs do not share the same rights and protections as service animals.

I love dogs, but it's getting ridiculous seeing these obviously untrained dogs everywhere. My local grocery store won't even challenge these dog owners as they don't want to create a conflict where the dog owners flip out and it becomes a bigger mess such as a physical altercation. Dogs have no business in a grocery store. Fortunately airlines have said they will start cracking down. Businesses are completely within their rights to ask what special services the dogs have been trained to do before allowing them in a business, the problem is they won't enforce it and the pet owners that take advantage of that.
I should have been clearer. I was saying the concerns around ESA’s as it relates to condos and HOA’s, specifically under The Fair Housing Act provisions. Under the FHA, ESA’s are offered protection. This issue became a hot topic in FL during 2023; we spent time and money with outside counsel throughout 2023.

PhillyBillyReprise

Oct 29, 2021
Italy is one of the most pet friendly countries in the world. Pets are allowed in public places, restaurants, shops and public transport. The authorities are much more friendlier to cats and dogs than those in the US, Australia and the UK.

In Germany, pets are treated with high respect and care. Many Germans view their pets as family members and take their responsibilities as pet owners very seriously. For example, it is common to see dogs allowed in public places such as restaurants, cafes, and even some retail stores.

In France there is no law against having dogs inside restaurants, which means each restaurant gets to decide its own policy. Generally speaking, dogs are allowed in most sit-down restaurants in Paris, as long as they are well-behaved and don't sit on the furniture. (They have to remain on the floor.)

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Dogs (and other pets) are great. But they don't belong everywhere. They are not people, they are not family and they don't deserve the same considerations that humans do (nor should they be treated poorly).

They are pets. Leave them in your air conditioned house.
What if a guy was walking around a mall with Roseanne Barr???

Reactions: ODShowtime

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
e
Italy is one of the most pet friendly countries in the world. Pets are allowed in public places, restaurants, shops and public transport. The authorities are much more friendlier to cats and dogs than those in the US, Australia and the UK.

In Germany, pets are treated with high respect and care. Many Germans view their pets as family members and take their responsibilities as pet owners very seriously. For example, it is common to see dogs allowed in public places such as restaurants, cafes, and even some retail stores.

In France there is no law against having dogs inside restaurants, which means each restaurant gets to decide its own policy. Generally speaking, dogs are allowed in most sit-down restaurants in Paris, as long as they are well-behaved and don't sit on the furniture. (They have to remain on the floor.)
It really depends on where you live and what is acceptable there. Ocean Beach in SD has the beach named Dog Beach. Just about every shop and restaurant is fine with it as are the people. Personally I don't care if the dog is behaved, but I don't look for feaux outrage either. If a store doesn't want them, I get that too and they can feel free to enforce it.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021

I have a dog that is our family pet. I don't mind dogs or cats. However, I don't understand the need to bring them into Home Depot, or the Weis or any grocery store. Also, they do not belong in a food establishment. Outside patio seating I am okay with but not in the local Starbucks. Leave you fecking dog at home.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
All the stupidity referenced here began with people dressing their dogs up in sweaters, raincoats, rain hats and booties. Once you’ve properly accessorized them you have to show them off.

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
Too many adults who never heard the word ‘’no’’, rules and laws do not apply to the entitled. They are rich enough so if they are fined or caught they lie and buy their way out of it.

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
We have this happen all the time at the restaurant all of the time. We allow all dogs on the patio and we bring them water annd bacon. Only working service dogs , not emotional support or dogs in strollers are allowed in the restaurant. People go nuts when we challenge. One person last week with a dog in the stroller was told no go but they could go on the patio and they were going. The guy was getting hotter by the second then told my 15 year old host that she was a cun! And walked out. So she told me this and then the game was on after that.
The amount of dogs in baby carriages is crazy - they are everywhere - now I assume it's a dog in there instead of a baby and I am right more than wrong. Oh and that dude would have gotten a good beatdown for saying something like that to anyone let alone a 15 year old hostess trying to do her job. People today feel that they have the f'ing right to do anything they want and f everyone else it effects.

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
o SNAP

Top 10 Richest States in the USA (by Median Household Income)

The list below shows the top ten richest states in the United States based on median household income, offering insight into their citizens’ economic success and well-being. These states are notable for their high standards of living, prosperous communities, and prospects for advancement and achievement. From the booming tech centers of Massachusetts to the stunning vistas of Colorado and the tranquil coasts of Hawaii, each state provides a distinct combination of economic prospects and quality of life. Explore the list to learn about the states with the highest median salaries in the nation.

1. Maryland
  2. New Jersey
  3. Massachusetts
  4. Hawaii
  5. Connecticut
  6. Virginia
  7. Washington
  8. Colorado
  9. New Hampshire
  10. Minnesota
I have been in Colorado since ’72, been an amazing run, climate beats anywhere else. I get outside more than my friends and relatives in Florida since we get close to 300 days of sun per year and the humidity is low. Never had to evacuate, don’t have floods at 6300 ft. Highly educated work force and plenty of jobs. Skied For over 40 years, mountain biked, white water rafted and hiked so far back off the grid you could almost hear Tom-Tom’s. Raised our son right, he is in aerospace engineering at CU, 1 more year. He is a Steelers and Penn State fan and got to attend the white out game last year. They are scattering our ashes when we pass by Longs Peak in RMNP.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
The amount of dogs in baby carriages is crazy - they are everywhere - now I assume it's a dog in there instead of a baby and I am right more than wrong. Oh and that dude would have gotten a good beatdown for saying something like that to anyone let alone a 15 year old hostess trying to do her job. People today feel that they have the f'ing right to do anything they want and f everyone else it effects.
I'll say this about the dogs in the stroller thing (and I DO reference, and joke about them) - in my neighborhood they are mostly widows with elderly little dogs that would likely have been put down by now. They lift the dog out of the stroller to do it's business, then put it back in and wheel it home.

In those instances, I understand. They're otherwise alone and they made a promise to their little dog to look after him.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I'll say this about the dogs in the stroller thing (and I DO reference, and joke about them) - in my neighborhood they are mostly widows with elderly little dogs that would likely have been put down by now. They lift the dog out of the stroller to do it's business, then put it back in and wheel it home.

In those instances, I understand. They're otherwise alone and they made a promise to their little dog to look after him.
I know old women who are waiting for their dogs to die so they can finally enter a retirement home.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I have been in Colorado since ’72, been an amazing run, climate beats anywhere else. I get outside more than my friends and relatives in Florida since we get close to 300 days of sun per year and the humidity is low. Never had to evacuate, don’t have floods at 6300 ft. Highly educated work force and plenty of jobs. Skied For over 40 years, mountain biked, white water rafted and hiked so far back off the grid you could almost hear Tom-Tom’s. Raised our son right, he is in aerospace engineering at CU, 1 more year. He is a Steelers and Penn State fan and got to attend the white out game last year. They are scattering our ashes when we pass by Longs Peak in RMNP.
Lockheed right down the way, where’d he intern?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Yeah, but deion.

o_O

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021

Agree, I see an older guy in a 55+ community I’m often in carrying his frail little dog. At least he has enough man pride not to stroller it, which I applaud

Reactions: ODShowtime

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
"Estimates" because they cheat on taxes or have their money off shore. Am I wrong?
Just saying that is concentrated wealth at it's most concentrated. There are articles going back to the late 80's about wealth and Jupiter Island.

I spent a lot of time on Palm Beach - going out - in the mid-late 80's. Even saw Kennedy's in action at the old Bradley's as if I was Jane Goodall.

Palm Beach is so big and a ***** to navigate though. When I saw Jupiter Island for the first time I realized that this was where the really, really rich people lived down here.

Reactions: Bison13

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
"Estimates" because they cheat on taxes or have their money off shore. Am I wrong?
Income and wealth are not the same.
Wealth is assets less liabilities.
Income is what what earned during a time period and does not account for appreciation of assets or reduction of liabilities.

So, if you bought something for $1 ten years ago and that something is now worth $100M your wealth has increased, but until you sell that something you have not impacted your income.

You would not have to cheat on your taxes to hide the change in wealth until you had the income from the sale.

Reactions: Bison13

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Income is what what earned during a time period and does not account for appreciation of assets or reduction of liabilities.

So, if you bought something for $1 ten years ago and that something is now worth $100M your wealth has increased, but until you sell that something you have not impacted your income.

You would not have to cheat on your taxes to hide the change in wealth until you hadthe income from the sale.
This sounds ridiculous

• Haha
Reactions: PSUJam

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

You would not have to cheat on your taxes to hide the change in wealth until you hadthe income from the sale.
Ok, then it's clearly drug money. 😏