BWI Sport Betting Thread

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
IU, Army, Navy, Taxes.

In addition to the 3 other IU bets, I live bet IU @ -37.5 and laughed at UNL while pressing the enter key.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nittering Nabob

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
As Ice Cube once rapped, today was a good day. It started with Brentford scoring a goal 5 minutes into 1st half stoppage time to cash my +125 bet on a goal in the 1st half (thanks VSIN soccer guy). And then it went a little like this...

The Good -- Army (1st half & game), Robert Morris, a +336 ML parlay of Army/Wisky/Indiana/Missouri/Cincy, Stony Brook, Hampton, Navy, Illinois, Tennessee, Miss State, Twerps, Florida

The Bad -- Iowa's no show killing a +275 parlay

The Unfortunate (cuz there's no ugly today) -- Buying a half point on Missouri to lose the juice just to make them a -4. Turned a win into a push. Also, none of Jonathan Marchessault's shot attempts finding the net to cash a 17-1 goals parlay

Yay, me...for once.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2024
As Ice Cube once rapped, today was a good day. It started with Brentford scoring a goal 5 minutes into 1st half stoppage time to cash my +125 bet on a goal in the 1st half (thanks VSIN soccer guy). And then it went a little like this...

The Good -- Army (1st half & game), Robert Morris, a +336 ML parlay of Army/Wisky/Indiana/Missouri/Cincy, Stony Brook, Hampton, Navy, Illinois, Tennessee, Miss State, Twerps, Florida

The Bad -- Iowa's no show killing a +275 parlay

The Unfortunate (cuz there's no ugly today) -- none of Jonathan Marchessault's shot attempts finding the net to cash a 17-1 goals parlay

Yay, me...for once.
Out of curiosity. Money wagered vs money won ….I’m most interested in net earnings.

Did you take home more than your wagers?

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Out of curiosity. Money wagered vs money won ….I’m most interested in net earnings.

Did you take home more than your wagers?
Well, a 11-1-1 record on single plays and the parlays being a net positive, it was a very strong profit day. I don't get into exact numbers but let's just say I'm not throwing honeybees at any of these games. I'm too much Princeton offense instead of Loyola Marymount.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Crazy day. At one point on Friday I had a $.01 balance on HR I had placed so many bets. Ended up at $1300. Withdrew $650 and the rest is going towards the Cignetti Shrine I'm building on my patio.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
NFL team in Vegas! What could go wrong?

Um, kicking a FG from 27 yards w/ 2.5 mins left in the game down 8 points to cover a spread?

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
NFL team in Vegas! What could go wrong?

Um, kicking a FG from 27 yards w/ 2.5 mins left in the game down 8 points to cover a spread?
I didn't think it was a bad decision. One of my pet peeves is people/announcers/coaches treating an 8 point game as a "one score" game, when they should be handled differently. Thought this decision was pretty much a coin flip.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I didn't think it was a bad decision. One of my pet peeves is people/announcers/coaches treating an 8 point game as a "one score" game, when they should be handled differently. Thought this decision was pretty much a coin flip.
They were 9 yards from a potential game tying TD. Even if they failed, the Rams would be pinned deep.

Sorry, not seeing it at all.

Last edited:

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
That was a good ole Franklin Scoreboard Math move by Pierce. I had Raiders +7 1/2 so I was happy with it but there’s no guarantee you get the ball back let alone get all the way down there again to get the TD you need.

Lost in that was the horrendous play calling. They ran ran ran to get to the 5 and then start throwing it, something that had been an adventure all day. But, that’s what you get when you hire Luke Getsy as your OC.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
They were 9 yards from a potential game tying TD. Even if they failed, the Rams would be pinned deep.

Sorry, not seeing it at all.
They need to convert on the 4th and 9, then convert on the 2 pointer, then hold the Rams from scoring (with LA getting the ball back, likely at the 30, with 2:46 on the clock), and then win it in OT. By kicking the FG, they now don't need to worry about the 2 pointer, and also would win it in regulation with a TD if they can hold the Rams (who are likely more conservative with their play calling than if they need to score). Pierce had 2:46 left, all 3 timeouts, and the 2 minute warning. I wouldn't have an issue with a coach playing it either way in that spot...certainly nothing fishy about how they played it.

I treat a 7 point game differently than an 8 point game in that spot...but it seems that most treat them the same.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Correction to above. Should be 2-8 ATS.
After last weekend, I believe this trend is now 3-10. I'm using the closing numbers, so PSU would be a loss and Minny vs UCLA would be a win (it would be PSU push and Minny loss if you use the opening lines), OSU and UW were both losses.

Candidates this weekend are Oregon at Purdue (awful spot for Oregon too), UCLA at Rutgers, USC at Maryland.
UO and UCLA cover and USC does not. B10 teams travelling 2+ time zones now 5-11 ATS.

PSA for Indiana fans. Rourke will be out for at least a few weeks.

Add note: Louisville is in a huge sandwich spot this week at BC, playing a tough game vs Miami last week and playing Clemson next week.

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Early bets I placed yesterday (knowing full well IU QB status):

Navy +13.5
IU - 6.5
Tosu -24.5 x2

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Anyone on sPitt tonight? I held my nose and gave the 6. I think the 62 total seems high as well.

Also pretty invested in the Vikings tonight.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Anyone on sPitt tonight? I held my nose and gave the 6. I think the 62 total seems high as well.

Also pretty invested in the Vikings tonight.
No Pitt for me this week. I think the line is a little high, but I see some pretty big advance stat differences in Pitt's favor. Any Pitt opponent that is half decent (sorry UNC) has played them close this season. Seems like a dog pick if anything.

Vikings at what number? And what odds?

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
Does anyone know where is bet on college wrestling? I have found a site (last year I found one) with futures but nothing on duals, tournaments, higher profile individuals. I'm interested in wagering on some of the matches in the upcoming nwca tournament that will be held at PSU on November 16th. In particular, I'd like the Carter Starocci vs Parker Keckeisen match and maybe a few others. Any help would be appreciated.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Does anyone know where is bet on college wrestling? I have found a site (last year I found one) with futures but nothing on duals, tournaments, higher profile individuals. I'm interested in wagering on some of the matches in the upcoming nwca tournament that will be held at PSU on November 16th. In particular, I'd like the Carter Starocci vs Parker Keckeisen match and maybe a few others. Any help would be appreciated.
You're unlikely to find it anywhere.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Once again, cool thread.
Some more math tidbits for you. The standard odds for a sports bet is -110, or pay $110 to win $100. In order for a bettor to just break even from the vig they have to win at a rate of at least 52.4%. If you were to only bet lines at -115, you now have to win at a rate of about 53.4% (pretty sure) to break even. For context, (@Erial_Lion please jump in), I believe long term 53-55% is a reasonable range for a lot of pros. Over 55% (long term) is exceptional. I think Billy Walters (considered GOAT) was up around 58%. That's how hard it is to win over a long period and how small the edge is.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LionJim

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Some more math tidbits for you. The standard odds for a sports bet is -110, or pay $110 to win $100. In order for a bettor to just break even from the vig they have to win at a rate of at least 52.4%. If you were to only bet lines at -115, you now have to win at a rate of about 53.4% (pretty sure) to break even. For context, (@Erial_Lion please jump in), I believe long term 53-55% is a reasonable range for a lot of pros. Over 55% (long term) is exceptional. I think Billy Walters (considered GOAT) was up around 58%. That's how hard it is to win over a long period and how small the edge is.

Yep, beating that 52.4% is the key to winning. The more you do it, the more you win. Volume also plays a big role, as huge volume at 54% will be more successful than small volume at 56% (if you're using proper money management).

I was listening to an interesting podcast earlier this week from the late GroovinMahoovin talking about being a successful bettor. He said that starting out, way too many people focus on how to "handicap" (and how to pick winners). In actuality, the most important thing to learn is how to "bet"...when to buy points (answer for most will be NEVER), when to play parlays (also pretty much NEVER), how to line shop, how to exploit bonuses, how to chase steam/follow winning bettors/groups, not to hedge, how to use teasers, money management, etc. (and the one that I'd add for 2024...don't cash out bets if the house allows it).

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I bet 25, 50, 100, 150 and don't expect any long term benefit - anyone that would, well good luck.

I think it's about feel and timing (like golf). You feel it, you go for it. My degenerate co-worker knows the SEC betting and I help him out w/ the B1G. He cleared $5K last weekend He obviously bets a lot more than I do.

In game betting just changes everything. Everything from piling on a team that you can see is superior to finding a way to counter a bad bet you can't take back.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Yep, beating that 52.4% is the key to winning. The more you do it, the more you win. Volume also plays a big role, as huge volume at 54% will be more successful than small volume at 56% (if you're using proper money management).

I was listening to an interesting podcast earlier this week from the late GroovinMahoovin talking about being a successful bettor. He said that starting out, way too many people focus on how to "handicap" (and how to pick winners). In actuality, the most important thing to learn is how to "bet"...when to buy points (answer for most will be NEVER), when to play parlays (also pretty much NEVER), how to line shop, how to exploit bonuses, how to chase steam/follow winning bettors/groups, not to hedge, how to use teasers, money management, etc. (and the one that I'd add for 2024...don't cash out bets if the house allows it).
Indeed. IMO, it's much like a stock market.
Another (almost) never - Never tease college football or point totals!

Sep 17, 2024
UO and UCLA cover and USC does not. B10 teams travelling 2+ time zones now 5-11 ATS.

PSA for Indiana fans. Rourke will be out for at least a few weeks.

Add note: Louisville is in a huge sandwich spot this week at BC, playing a tough game vs Miami last week and playing Clemson next week.
And the weather is supposed to favor BC. If they could only quit fumbling the football 🤷‍♂️

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Indeed. IMO, it's much like a stock market.
Another (almost) never - Never tease college football or point totals!
Really, it should likely be "never tease anything" at this point in most cases (unless you can still get -110 teasers and are playing Wong/Basic Strategy teasers, and even those were at +100 when Stanford brought them "mainstream"). Only time I'll consider a college teaser is if I'm adding it as a leg to a Wong teaser and the total is miniscule.

But never teasing totals is an obvious one...never anything +EV about doing that.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I bet 25, 50, 100, 150 and don't expect any long term benefit - anyone that would, well good luck.

I think it's about feel and timing (like golf). You feel it, you go for it. My degenerate co-worker knows the SEC betting and I help him out w/ the B1G. He cleared $5K last weekend He obviously bets a lot more than I do.

In game betting just changes everything. Everything from piling on a team that you can see is superior to finding a way to counter a bad bet you can't take back.
Live betting can be really tricky, but definitely very profitable. I think they run a lot of those on algorithms based on the opening lines and sometimes miss key things like injuries.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Really, it should likely be "never tease anything" at this point in most cases (unless you can still get -110 teasers and are playing Wong/Basic Strategy teasers, and even those were at +100 when Stanford brought them "mainstream"). Only time I'll consider a college teaser is if I'm adding it as a leg to a Wong teaser and the total is miniscule.

But never teasing totals is an obvious one...never anything +EV about doing that.
Like that Iowa game last year (can't recall opp) with the super low total. Only college game I ever teased (and part of a Wong). I think you considered it too.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Like that Iowa game last year (can't recall opp) with the super low total. Only college game I ever teased (and part of a Wong). I think you considered it too.

And yes, this is the only college game I recall teasing in the past ~15 years when I started doing this seriously. I had forgotten that we talked about it until I just searched for it. I also don't remember if it won or lost, lol.

Reactions: Grant Green

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021

And yes, this is the only college game I recall teasing in the past ~15 years when I started doing this seriously. I had forgotten that we talked about it until I just searched for it. I also don't remember if it won or lost, lol.
Yeah, you pointed it out to me. Oh look, you found it! Yeah, 26.5 point total vs Rutgers and it went under!!

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Grant - my tv is at least 20 seconds behind the rest of the world (Hotwire Fision). I have to turn my phone off during PSU games b/c I know a text = a big play.

ESPN gamecasts are behind Hard Rock obviously. Are there better gamecasts out there?

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Grant - my tv is at least 20 seconds behind the rest of the world (Hotwire Fision). I have to turn my phone off during PSU games b/c I know a text = a big play.

ESPN gamecasts are behind Hard Rock obviously. Are there better gamecasts out there?
Oh yeah, that's part of what makes it tricky. Many feeds are way behind the game. I don't know if there are faster gamecasts. haven't investigated. I usually wait for break in play or am just really careful if I'm doing it during a drive. @Erial_Lion may have a better idea.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login